Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Arch Linux is a very nice distro...

Ha...funny how far offtrak this thread has gone...guess thatz the beauty of it all. BTW, I'm not trying to knock Yoper--just offer input from one who has a somewhat fresh outlook on it all. I've yet to find a perfect distro...but that could well be due to my lack of experience. I'm taking in all I can, but it can be overwhelming @ times. I do know I can't handle the compile times of Gentoo....for those w/ the patience of Job, go get it...but not for me. But of what I've tried, FC2, Yoper & Arch are all top notch. I like the bare install nature of Arch & Yoper too for that matter, but FC2's gnome is so sweet...all the bells @ whistles up and runnning (never did gnome w/ Yoper, but w/ Arch gnome was nowhere near as complete). I can't say why I prefer gnome---maybe it's b/c FC2 was my 1st real linux exprerience (other than a very brief dance w Linspire, which I thought sucked) & gnome was what I 1st saw (cuz that's Fedora's default X). Honestly, kde is not that bad, it's just I seem to be able to navigate & do stuff better w/ nautilus, gedit, and all the other gnome stuff. I know it sucks for ppl on dial up, but I have cable & I don't mind a bigger download, i.e., the 4 Fedora CD's or one dvd....it's just nice to have it all there as an option when u install....there has to be a middle ground between Fedora Core2 overkill & a package that offers everyone an environment that suits. And, once again, please don't get me wrong...I really dig Yoper or else I wouldn't keep coming back to it. Even @ my level of linux maturity I can see Yoper has a lot to offer...I have very user specific comments/ criticisms of FC2, Arch & Yoper...but all 3 have earned a place in my personal search for a kick@$$ distro. And, you know what, that's what's so great about linux---u can have your cake and eat it too.

**EDIT** I have tried kaffeine, it's one package I always install. I just prefer the slimmer mp3 player's like XMMS (WinAmp 2.81 in Winders or even TrayPlay). The XMMS-wma should not be a hard plugin to add...that's all I'm sayin'. And I'm still hoping for a linux plugin that will handle my web test suite...if I can get all my streaming stuff playing w/ NP, then I'll be more than tempted to offer Yoper or another distro for system builds. The fact of the matter is that I don't lose any sleep that I can't play a certain pogo game, or view certain windows media streams, nor do I care to see nekid chicks do the news....BUT I know that if I build a computer for a client, sure as shite they'll come bak crying that they can't do this or that...and the could before w/ M$. I know it's about growth and such & when/if linux/ firefox/ mozilla overtakes the M$ monster maybe these websites will wake up & take notice...
    I am excited about linux and the future & see it as nothing but a plus to be able to save clients the $90-100 for XP Home (which sucks compared to XP Pro, IMO). However, it has to pass thru my criteria...and I've got 1/2 way there, but have yet to attain flawless web integration. Soooo, if anyone has any suggestions...maybe I can start propagating linux on the world. Otherwise, for builds, I'll just havta go bak to M$ & boredom.
    Last edited by arDAWG; 09-05-2004 at 02:52 AM.
    Linux Switch Parody

ep0x 8rda+ 2400 Mobile Barton
    @ 220X12 =2640 @ 1.95V
    2 Room W3@p0n Watercooling
    Dangerden Maze 2-2
    Powercolor 9800SE->9800Pro (435/388)
    512mb Winbond Bh5
    2 X Maxtor DP9's in RAID 0
    Lite On 52X CDRW PioneerX DVD
    Fortron 530W psu Nexus FanBus

Quote Originally Posted by arDAWG
    but FC2's gnome is so sweet...all the bells @ whistles up and runnning (never did gnome w/ Yoper, but w/ Arch gnome was nowhere near as complete).

...and I've got 1/2 way there, but have yet to attain flawless web integration. Soooo, if anyone has any suggestions...maybe I can start propagating linux on the world. Otherwise, for builds, I'll just havta go bak to M$ & boredom.
    did you install the gnome-extra package? i'm not sure what bells and whistles you're talking about, but afaik arch offers the complete gnome suite.

what media formats are you having trouble with, could you be more specific? the mplayer codec packs seem to handle everything thrown at them. if you don't have them, get them here and install in /usr/lib/win32:
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html

or in arch run #pacman -Sy codecs

Angry Re: Arch Linux is a very nice distro...

I just did a very stupid thing. I was roaming around my WinXP and Dos partitions when I noticed that one of them changed and it said that it needed to be formatted. So I check to
    see what changed and there was Linux stuff there. So like a dope I said what is that shit doing there and formatted the partition. Ha Ha that wipe out my partition table and so
    I had to FDisk and reinstall WinMe and use the Recovery Console to do a bootcfg /add
    and get my WinXP working again. After screwing around with four different distros and
    repeatedly getting warnings that the partition table was problematic but could ignore it
    and install the distro anyway. So they must have been using that formatted Dos partition to
    make the necessary adjustments. Well, at least my wife won't kill me now that I got her
    WinXP working again. Whew!!

This is a classic comment: 'Well, at least my wife won't kill me now that I got her WinXP working again. Whew!!." Linux is great, but not for the average user.

Mandrake/Gentoo Machine - ECS 755-A2 | AMD 64 3000+ at 10x201 | modded 12/28/03 Bios | Thermalright SLK948U + Tornado fan| 512 Buffalo PC3700 + 512 Buffalo PC3200 | 2xIBM 20g 75 GXP | Gainward 440MX | SB Live! | Koss speakers | Artec 16x DVD | Lian Li PC60 case | Allied 500 PS | Nec LCD1760D FP | Mandrake 10 64 Bit rc1 / Gentoo 2004 for AMD64 / WinXP 64-Bit / WinXP Pro

My machines My Website
    Lou_The_Blue_Guru - For those working with computers that havenít figured this out yet: "Everything is related with every other thing ... " -- The Jaina Philosophy of Non-Absolutism

That is classic...lmao. I hosed an XP install trying to do a dual boot system (w/ FC2 using System Commander). It locked up during the repartitioning & I had no choice but to do a cold shutdown. It was my wife's XP system as well. Luckily I had backed up numerous pics, docs, mp3s & so on or I'd have hung out to dry.
    Anyhoo...to answer previous questions...
    W/ FC2 Gnome has a buncha stuff added on...like config applets (e.g., the Services interface wherein services can be added & unselected via a gui---also, works from the terminal w/ serviceconf). I did install gnome-extras, XFCE4-goodies & all that. I carefully studied the packages available @ the Arch site.
    Right now I'm playing w/ Yoper again--the 2.1.0.4 version & it's pretty kick@$$. The setup proggy was much improved, tho I was rather nervous w/ QTParted, having ran afoul of it w/ NavynOS (kept locking up when I would commit changes). W/ Yoper, h/e, all ran smooth & I was able to choose grub as the bootloader. Ran into a few quirks: whenever I select something such as a package from Synaptic or a theme w/ gkrellm (snagged all of those from my FC2 hdd... ) the text in the selection disappears. The Firefox package installed via apt-get/ Syn. didn't behave correctly (wouldn't load, unless I clicked it a billion times, then it would load a ton of instances). NP, I just grabbed my linux files cd & unzipped my dl'ed version of Firefox (after using Synaptic to remove the other one) & it works great. Also, the kmix setting to restore set volume levels @ logon for some unknown reason became unchecked & I had to do a little searching (but no forum posting) to get that working again. TBH, these are minor quibbles & I'm liking this incarnation of Yoper quite a damn bit. KDE has even grown on me. Esp. since it's behaving in Yoper (i.e., the FindFiles & Konq. file browser don't lock up or stall as they did in FC2). Furthermore, I've actually got some of my issues w/ streaming content resolved. Between RP10 & MPlayer plug-in I can handle a lot (tho not all) stuff. Kaffeine made an effort to do an infamous Windows' RealPlayer move & take over the plugin duties (it did this once to me in FC2 tho I said NO). In my experience the mplayer plugin is the best (& I've tried kaffeine & xine). That being said some stuff (like Chappelle's clips @ Comedy Central) sadly still require XP ('least for me). IMO, this is something that linux developers should be able to fix...or perhaps / Moz / Firefox developers. I use Firefox in Windows & there are a couple sites that Firefox won't do (one game in pogo, Shapeshifter & a Cartoon Network Teen Titans game). My sig. other & 10 yr old keep me well aprised of these shortcomings. Also, are there any plans, whatsoever, for a Shockwave plugin for Linux?
    Linux Switch Parody

ep0x 8rda+ 2400 Mobile Barton
    @ 220X12 =2640 @ 1.95V
    2 Room W3@p0n Watercooling
    Dangerden Maze 2-2
    Powercolor 9800SE->9800Pro (435/388)
    512mb Winbond Bh5
    2 X Maxtor DP9's in RAID 0
    Lite On 52X CDRW PioneerX DVD
    Fortron 530W psu Nexus FanBus

arDawg... Mplayer for me is playing everything correctly from WMV and quicktime files as well as all the MPEG4 codecs out there... I still haven't figured out how to play a DVD yet under Linux but I also haven't attempted to tackle the problem yet... I HIGHLY recommend compiling Mplayer yourself... instead of using any built in packages no matter the distro...

There is a shockwave plugin for linux... I have full flash and shockwave functionality using the latest stable build of Mozilla... If I recall it was extremely easy to install as well... You have to have the module snd-pcm-oss loaded in order for sound to work with macromedia's plugins as they have yet to add full ALSA compatibility....
    barton 3000+, 8rda, 512 2700 samsung, evga6800GT, GTXP and delta66, 80gb wdse
    Arch Linux Homepage

A few posts ago I wasn't too into Arch, but I've had a decent time with it since then. My laptop that runs it has better real-world support for my Intel 2100 Wireless chipset than WIndows does (thanks to a nasty "bad coding decision" by some MS coding guy who makes it impossible for me to keep a wireless connection for more than 5 minutes). This support can be easily done in ANY linux distro, but the available package from arch's repisitory makes it that much easier. Pacman is still a bit "off" (for lack of a better word) due to some unintuitive interface issues, but those will be worked through with time.

The finer points on this laptop are still to be worked out, but overall there is one thing that makes me want to make this post. Out of the box, my "Windows" keys work with Arch and its KDE package... This is the first time this has worked OOB for me in LInux and even though I don't really use it, it shows some polish that is a very good sign.

Now if it could launch Konqueror when I press Win+E and a find dialog when I press Win+F, I'd be pretty happy when it comes to work efficiency....

I still wish their website would have a normal link to the WIki section from the Documentation section. Its on the site menu, but as a first-time user, it took some time to realize that wiki is the noal place for me to go for documentation/How-tos. Their major issues should be solved over time as the flush-out their documentation and website.
    - JP Money -
    alyson (Hannigan) [XP/Gentoo]
    Athlon 64 3200+ | Shuttle SN85G4 | 1GB PC3200 | BFG 6800 OC | Dell FP1800 18" LCD
    milla (Jovovich) [Gentoo Linux]
    Sony PCG-Z1A
    liz (Phair) [FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE web/mail server]
    Athlon t-bird 1.4 Ghz | Gigabyte 7DXR | 2 GB PC2100 | Adaptec 29160 | 36 GB Seagate Cheetah 10K

Hey JP,

Can I ask what the problem is with pacman? Its removing packages isn't it?
    Arch Linux Homepage

jrmillerUT,

My config files at one point were overwritten by the new *.pacman files and then the *.pacman config files were copied as well, leaving me with my previously edited config files overwritten. Yeah, dumb.... and no arch since then.
    - JP Money -
    Athlon 64 3200+ | Shuttle SN85G4 | 1GB PC3200 | BFG 6800 OC | Dell FP1800 18" LCD
    Sony PCG-Z1A
    Athlon t-bird 1.4 Ghz | Gigabyte 7DXR | 2 GB PC2100 | Adaptec 29160 | 36 GB Seagate Cheetah 10K

Can I ask what specific config files were being overwritten?
    Arch Linux Homepage

Quote Originally Posted by jrmillerUT
    arDawg... Mplayer for me is playing everything correctly from WMV and quicktime files as well as all the MPEG4 codecs out there... I still haven't figured out how to play a DVD yet under Linux but I also haven't attempted to tackle the problem yet... I HIGHLY recommend compiling Mplayer yourself... instead of using any built in packages no matter the distro...

There is a shockwave plugin for linux... I have full flash and shockwave functionality using the latest stable build of Mozilla... If I recall it was extremely easy to install as well... You have to have the module snd-pcm-oss loaded in order for sound to work with macromedia's plugins as they have yet to add full ALSA compatibility....
    I'm not sure this will help with your dvd play as it's instructions for a rpm based distro.
    It seems that if you follow these instructions installing as you normaly would,you'll have dvd up and running.
    http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/

jr,

It was some time ago so I'm not sure, but as I remember, pretty much everything... lilo.conf (so long to the other boot stuff I had like framebuffer support), /etc/hosts, etc. I think it missed critical stuff like /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow (per /etc/pacman.conf), but everything else was piss-poorly overwritten. I'm sorry I don't have more details, but it was frustrating and early enough that I just gave up on the distro.
    - JP Money -
    Sony PCG-Z1A

ahhh... you were using lilo... that would explain a few problems... I'm a grub user but i think lilo and pacman just don't get along... something about having to update the lilo.conf all the time after pacman...

but I've never had pacman overwrite any config files other than its own in my months upon months of being on arch...

I'm sorry your experience went poorly jp... Arch is the reason I'm 99% linux... (still have to run windows for my music software i.e. Reason, Live, and Cubase
    Arch Linux Homepage

back in the day, I had problems with lilo, too. I agree things have always and continue to work better with grub. One thing it can't do, though, is stop me from damaging Windows partitions (which shouldn't have anything to do with grub itself...?). I think that's just a universal "oops" for people running Windows on the same machine. Seems there are plenty of ways to inadvertently accomplish that task. These latest distros are capable of many more tasks previous ones couldn't have dreamed of. Not the hottest guy with Linux, and it generally pisses me off most of the time, but it's starting to meet some of my needs, which basically makes me more willing to spend time with it.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

I'd say the most important thing when dual booting on the same HDD is that the Windows Install is already present when installing linux on another partition... I just use 2 different hdd's... one for my music workstation boot up... and the other for my linux desktop OS stuff....
    Arch Linux Homepage