Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Whats spinning on your Turntable tonite?

I should dust off the old Empire; it's still around here somewhere. What cartridges are recommended these days? You can tell I've not spun the stax of wax in a while.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by maggnum
    I should dust off the old Empire; it's still around here somewhere. What cartridges are recommended these days? You can tell I've not spun the stax of wax in a while.
    Thanks.
    #1) R-1000 Sigma ($ 10,000), which is exactly the same as the R-1000 Airy II except for its diamond cantilever.

#2) SHELTER 901
    This is one of the finest cartridges in the world at present, and it "only" costs $ 1,500*.

#3) Forever, I've used an AQ 1000 MkII moving coil that the factory replaced for free about 10 years ago...prolly has only 100 hours on it now.

#4) I alway had good luck with Shure cartridges 'till I got bit by the MC (moving coil) bug.
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"

Yikes T, those are way high end. Did get me started searching the net for what is out there. I'm kinda surprised there are still so many manufacturers and models available.

The SHURE V15 VXMR can be purchased new for around 200$ but they have a pretty high compliance; the next model down is under 100$ and a pretty good cart.. One good high output moving coil is the Ortofon X5-MC; this one I can vouch for (at least on my system).

Head over to www.audioasylum.com a search the vinyl forum....lots of archived threads there.

DC

Quote Originally Posted by John C
    CD doesnt count!
    Currently, Kim Carnes.
    Michael Martin Murphy.
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800
    EVGA 133-K8-NF41 nForce4 SLI
    2x 512 Corsair XMS PC2700 DDR
    WD 200GIG SATA
    DVDRW NEC 2510A
    Logitech Z-5300 5.1
    EVGA 7800 GT PCIe
    Silverstone - TJ06B-W
    Samsung 712N (17in, 12ms) TFT LCD
    Windows XP PRO

Herbie Hancock/V.S.O.P
    Recorded live June 29, 1976

Review
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

jeez! you guys are absolute freaks! i dont understand a word you're saying about vacuum pumps, air lines, all these different turntables and recievers.. but the last thing i was playing on my dad's pioneer turntable on our solid state (eww?) receiver through our probably "low end" though expensive for us was Deep purple (not special "AUDIOPHILE" edition) LIve from Tokyo

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD
    Deep purple (not special "AUDIOPHILE" edition) LIve from Tokyo
    Nice.
    Double LP.
    Have it.
    Right now listening to Lou Reed Live.
    Something about dropping the "needle" into the groove.
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

Bug Powder Dust - Bomb The Bass

Quote Originally Posted by IAmGhostDog
    Nice.
    Double LP.
    Have it.
    Right now listening to Lou Reed Live.
    Something about dropping the "needle" into the groove.
    yea, im glad my dad kept all his old records from his youth! many of them have been played so much that they've begun to wear out, but most of them still sound good to me! i think the reciever is an onkya, but i'd have to go downstairs and look and im feeling lazy!

After reading this thread last night i decided to dust off Cream, Wheels of Fire

Trust me, I do science

Reading around various audio forums, you would be amazed how many people are rediscovering vinyl, or in the case of you young pups, discovering it for the first time! As IAGD said, there is just something about lowering that needle, and seeing it all happen. Analog is just somehow more musical, liquid I guess you could call it. No, it doesnt have the S/N ratio of a good CD, or the low noise. Something you cant measure, but FEEL.

well the problem is that alot of the music i listen to is from the 70's, so all the masters are analog and the cd's just kind of highlight the flaws in the masters, so that vinyl is really the best way to listen to it

I really cant stand music today, im glad for computers and all, but i kinda wish i had been around back in the day when all the music i love was on radio! (im only 16)
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 09-12-2004 at 11:41 PM.

Trust me, I do science

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD
    well the problem is that alot of the music i listen to is from the 70's, so all the masters are analog and the cd's just kind of highlight the flaws in the masters, so that vinyl is really the best way to listen to it
    /Well said. There's a whole generation now that will never appreciate analog for what it was or what it is today. And so much of what was recorded in analog (at least classically speaking) can't even be found today in digital..... Either converted or newly recorded.
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"

Quote Originally Posted by John C
    Reading around various audio forums, you would be amazed how many people are rediscovering vinyl, or in the case of you young pups, discovering it for the first time! As IAGD said, there is just something about lowering that needle, and seeing it all happen. Analog is just somehow more musical, liquid I guess you could call it. No, it doesnt have the S/N ratio of a good CD, or the low noise. Something you cant measure, but FEEL.
    Agree totally! These days it's hard to even find a household with an LP Player...

lol, this is addicting!

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon got cleaned off and i was listening to that a little while ago

just a question: where can i get a new needle for a turntable?

Trust me, I do science