Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Exclamation sata drives keep failing

AMD 2600XP
    GA-7VAXP-ULTRA
    5900XT
    MAXTOR 120GB SATA HDD
    768 MB CRUCIAL RAM

recently i just had a maxtor 120gb SATA hdd replaced because it comletely crashed. However i've only had the new one installed a week and it has just shown the first sign of failure as the first one. I'll give you a run down of what happened to the first drive maybe one of you will know whats happening..

first pc failed to shut down, windows would shut down but would not powerdown unless mouse button was clicked.

second would not powerdown from windows, had to use power button

third pc refused to boot and data on hdd was unretrievable

got an error code from powermax and they replaced the drive but after only having the new drive a week and its doing the same it must be something in my system thats causing this.

Anybody got any ideas..

Re: sata drives keep failing

Sounds like a potential power supply problem. Have you tried swapping it out or using a different set of cables from it? What are the +5 and +12 volt power rails reading?

Not sure what power supply your using of if you have been monitoring power. This would be good to check. I did note that you are using a Maxtor drive with Via, though it usually works, there seems to sometimes be compatibilty issues between Via and Maxtor lately.
    AMD RIGS:
    Main Rig: Antec P160\A7N8X-Dlx\1007 Uber\Thermalright SP-97-Ceramique\XP-M 2500@12X210\NB Vantec Iceberg\2X Corsair XMS 256 PC3200LL\WD Raptor X2 (RAID 0)\WD 800JB\ATI 9800 Pro\NEC 2500A\Vantec 520W PS

Shuttle Rig: SN45G\Stock Ice-Ceramique\XP 2500@10.5X202\Mushkin Black Lvl I PC3200\ATI AIW 9600 Pro\WD 1200JB\Lite-On LTC48161H

Current evaluation testing: Plextor PX-712SA (SATA Optical Drive).

My Pets...... 3112 Driver Comparison....NCQ Desktop Performance

Hello,

I have very similar problem with SATA drive that keeps crashing and dying, although my specs are different:

Albatron KX600S Pro
    Athlon XP 3000 Barton
    Samsung 80 GB SATA HD
    1 GB Ram
    ATI Radeon 9200
    Case w/ generic 420W PSU + 3 case fans
    2 IDE hard drives(1 Maxtor 1 Seagate).

My problem is that after about 5 to 10 days of working perfectly fine Windows XP Home Reboots, the HD crashes and reformatting/low level formatting does not work. Mobo sees the HD, software sees it too, but it is rendered inaccessable and unrepairable. This happened to 1st HD, I RMAed it, and then same thing happened to another one.

If you have any updates on whether your problem got fixed and how, or if you're still having it, please update this thread.

Thank you.

I'd recommend eliminating your memory sticks as a possible cause.

http://www.memtest86.com

Also, are you overclocking? And what is the make and model # of the PSU?

Thanks for the tips, BWM.

Yes, I'm suspecting PSU, but eliminating things would be nice. Will do the mem test, and let you know the results. BTW, I have also IDE bootable drive with Win XP Home, and it runs stable.

Here's the PSU info: RaidMax KY-520ATX. Here's the link to the picture:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage....156-139-05.JPG

Thank you for suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by comp_girl
    Thanks for the tips, BWM.

Yes, I'm suspecting PSU, but eliminating things would be nice. Will do the mem test, and let you know the results. BTW, I have also IDE bootable drive with Win XP Home, and it runs stable.

Here's the PSU info: RaidMax KY-520ATX. Here's the link to the picture:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage....156-139-05.JPG

Thank you for suggestions!
    It may also help to update/change your SATA driver. Other members will have more insight on that.

I used the latest driver downloaded from the Mobo's manufacturers website.

Are you using a SATA controller that offers different Power Management strategies within the bios?? I've seen a few boards that offer some kind of power up/down settings that can result in odd SATA drive behaviour and might contribute to failure issues. I always disable that crap on builds I do.

Hmmm, I'll have to check this out. I dont remember any power-management options for SATA, but I skimmed through them fairly fast. I think I disabled the turning off of hard-drives, but have to double-check.

Thank you!

You're welcome. I hope it helps sort it out.

Well, I tried low-level formatting the drive as a last resort, and it might have even worked if the power did not go out this morning as I was in the middle of it. After that, the low-level format utility kept crashing before even starting. In addition, now BIOS would not load and system would not boot if I have the SATA hard drive connected to the Mobo and have it set to IDE option instead of RAID. For a while I thought my motherboard was fried, but no, it is just bad drive. I unhooked it, plugged in my IDEs, and everything works perfectly. Still have not had a chance to try Memtest - its next on my list. Going to the store to get UPS and a few more case fans. Whew! Needed to vent - this problem really has me buffled.

Keep us informed how it goes. There are lots of good people here.

Ok, ran Memetest86. With 2 Ram modules, I got errors in test #4 and test #5. When testing individually, 1st Ram module got the same error (same failing address and error bits #s) in the test #4, but no errors in #5. 2nd Ram module is testing out fine in all 3 slots of the mobo. I did not run extended tests yet on the 2nd one - that would be the next task, but it is pretty obvious I'll have to RMA the 1st one. So, u think its entirely possible that bad memory was crapping out my SATA drives with such consistensy? I ran computer on my old IDE hard drive for a while now and have not had the same problem yet. Do you think its just a matter of time, or it is possible that SATA is just more sensitive and they don't make them like they used to?

FYI, the memory is Mushkin PC3200 512Mb sticks.

Thanks for your help!

I'm beginning to wonder about your motherboard at this point. SATA, the controllers more so than the drives, have been finickey on several boards. nVidia based boards in particular. I don't have enough first-hand experience with a problem like yours to offer much more advice, unfortunately. I'm reasonably sure that your memory has something to do with it because it is involved in DMA mode data transfers to and from the drive. Have any of those drives actually failed as reported by the drive maker's diagnostics? If not, then I think it is a motherboard and/or driver problem.

We need more member involvement to help you. C'mon everyone.