Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: sata drives keep failing

Heh.. good luck.. but I havent had luck with the 2 antecs I have had.. gave up on them.. maybe I just got a short straw when I bought them.. but both were 400W models and both died in less than a month.. (well they didnt die.. but the rail voltages were out of tolerance or fluctuated out of tolerance under load)

I havent had any experience with Albatron motherboards (heck I have never even seen one) But if you do have to take it back.. there are several Asus and Gigabyte boards (and I am sure there are tons of other here folks would recommend) that should do the trick for you.

Tunes67
    A+GPB 450W PSU
    Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe : AMD Barton 3000/400
    1 Gig Mixed Kingston
    Thermaltake Volcano 12 CF
    ATI 9600XT AIW
    2 WD 80 gig Sata HDs
    Lite-on 401s DVD RW (flashed to 811s)
    MS Keyboard : Logitech MX510 mouse
    Ratpadz GS Gaming surface
    Nostromo N52 Speed pad
    Canon Scanner
    Epson C80 Printer
    19" Sony Trinitron Monitor
    and a partridge in a pear tree....

Thank you, Tunes!

Sorry about your Antecs. I think you're the first person I heard saying something bad about Antecs - most people swear by them. I guess that shows that even the company with good reputation can have bad products sometimes. Albatrons are fairly new to the market, I think their CEO used to be with Gigabyte. When I bought it, I've read mostly good things about it in reviews and forums and with 3 yr warranty decided to go for it. But, honestly, even with all the research I felt like I was just blindly selecting, because most of reivews were just opinions... With me being on a budget, not an overclocker, and building a mid-range system, I felt like this was as good of a choice as any.

Well, memtest is still running, but no errors so far. I'll post back with any new information.
    My setup:
    Albatron KX600S Pro Motherboard
    Athlon XP Barton 3000
    RAM Mushkin 3200 DDR 2X512
    Video ATI Radeon 9200
    2 IDE HDs
    RaidMax case and 420W PSU KY-520A
    5 case fans
    No OCing...

No worries.. if it works for you then thats all that counts.. honestly.. I have built systems with most brands of motherboards over the past 10 years.. Asus usually has decent hardware.. but their tech support and sometimes their documentation leaves a bit to be desired.. to date.. the only motherboard manufacturer I havent had a single issue with during a build has been Gigabyte.. (for some reason the Gigabyte boards always bench slower than Asus boards even with the same chipset which is why I run Asus.. and I dont Overclock either) Granted.. I have only built 4 Gigabyte based systems.. but so far they are batting 1000 in my book.. There are more than a few brand names I havent built with so I definately wouldnt claim that they are the best boards on the market.. just for me they have been trouble free set it and forget it type builds. In any case.. I hope you are able to get your situation resolved.. and one other thing I would try as far as your Sata drives go.. take a different lead from your PS to power your drive.. if you are using an molex to Sata power adapter.. try a different adapter. Just a couple of thoughts. Good Luck.

Tunes67
    A+GPB 450W PSU
    1 Gig Mixed Kingston
    ATI 9600XT AIW
    2 WD 80 gig Sata HDs
    Nostromo N52 Speed pad
    Canon Scanner
    Epson C80 Printer

One other thing I figured I would post.. avoid Soyo Motherboards like the plague.. not only did I have major problems with 3 different KT600 ultra dragon platinum boards.. but after reading some of the posts in the soyo forum here.. they appear to be dishonest theives as well. Just a heads up.

Tunes67
    A+GPB 450W PSU
    1 Gig Mixed Kingston
    ATI 9600XT AIW
    2 WD 80 gig Sata HDs
    Nostromo N52 Speed pad
    Canon Scanner
    Epson C80 Printer

Thanks! You know, its funny you said that about Soyo. I was actually considering buying one of their boards (Tiger Direct had some good deals on them), but after doing some research have heard the same thing - that people had tons of problems with them, and they dont honor rebates, etc. So they were probably the only Mobo company that I ruled out in my search.

Have not tried putting HD on a different power line - that could be something else to try I guess, but did try different molex power adapters, and different Sata cables, and different Sata channels as well.
    My setup:
    Athlon XP Barton 3000
    Video ATI Radeon 9200
    2 IDE HDs
    5 case fans
    No OCing...

I believe its the 12v rail of the PS that supplies the power to HD's, Optical drives.. floppies.. high end graphics cards that require 1 or 2 connections for the PS. The PS you have is pretty weak with only 13A available for the 12v rail.. Most decent PS's supply at least 18A and the good or better ones are up around 25A on the 12V rail.. if that rail is having issues delivering power to your drives.. it can cause these problems. I guess my real advice is to swap your PS out for another just to verify that its good.. also.. you can do a search around the web and find various ATX power supply testors ranging in price from $7 on up to $40.. or you can pick up a cheapy at Compusa for $20.. (I have one of these.. it works.. ok) Never a bad thing to have around.

Tunes67
    A+GPB 450W PSU
    1 Gig Mixed Kingston
    ATI 9600XT AIW
    2 WD 80 gig Sata HDs
    Nostromo N52 Speed pad
    Canon Scanner
    Epson C80 Printer

Yes, I know what you mean about PS rails. But, all I have is 1 optical, 2 HDs, 1 Floppy and fairly low end graphis card, which I think uses 3.3 V if I'm not mistaken. Theoretically, the total maximum power drawn on the PSU on my computer could exceed its rating (I added up all the maximums - 13A PSU vs 15A possible max), but the chances of that happening are fairly low(although not impossible, and I dont have any real data). Also, I wanted to add that my hubby had his computer built with stock Aspire 350W PSU & case, that his 12v rail is even smaller - 12A, however his AMD64 w/ 2 SATA drives, 2 opticals and floppy has been running as stable as a rock. Of course, sometimes PSUs dont adhere to what their labels say, and in his case it can be providing enough juice, in mine - not. PSU tester may be a good idea, but since I build computers only for myself, I'd like to minimize expenses. I did look into getting the tester in the beginning, and even went to CompUSA to get PSU tested (they said it was fine), but in order to completely eliminate PSU as a suspect and run a real-life test, I'd have to buy the more expensive kind. I probably won't need it again until my next build, which probably will be in another 5 years. I think If I built computers more frequently, I'd definitely spring for a good one.

I'll do 2 tests. 1st, will test my hard drive in hubby's computer, and make sure that it is still good. If it is - I'll take his PSU, put it in mine, and re-install the hard drive again. If it runs good in his system, and fails in mine - well, then it is my motherboard. If it will run well in both system, then it is my PSU. Bets, anyone?
    My setup:
    Athlon XP Barton 3000
    Video ATI Radeon 9200
    2 IDE HDs
    5 case fans
    No OCing...

Well I wont make any bets on this one.. since your motherboard is one I am completely unfamiliar with and it may just be that the Sata Chipset itself is a bad chip.. seen that happen more than once as well. But I have never seen it cook HD's like that.. have only seen HD's drop like flies when power was a problem. But we learn something new every day and I admit to being more than curious about the outcome of your endeavor ;-) Best of luck..

Tunes67
    A+GPB 450W PSU
    1 Gig Mixed Kingston
    ATI 9600XT AIW
    2 WD 80 gig Sata HDs
    Nostromo N52 Speed pad
    Canon Scanner
    Epson C80 Printer

Thanks! I'm curious myself. Will let you know.
    My setup:
    Athlon XP Barton 3000
    Video ATI Radeon 9200
    2 IDE HDs
    5 case fans
    No OCing...

If you look around you can see that almost all board makers have some issues.I surfed the forums for six months before deciding on the Soyo KT600 Dragon Ultra Platinum.I knew
    it wouldn't be a screaming O/C board,but that's not what I was looking for.I wanted a board
    that had good native SATA support and that's what I got in this board.no problems at all.
    Q9550 EO 4.0ghz 471x8.5 1.275v OCZ Vendetta2 w/bolt thru kit
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P F9c bios
    4x2gb OCZ PC2 8500 5-6-6-18 1.9v@942mhz
    Asus 4870 512 Scythe Musashi
    2x300gb Velociraptors RAID 0
    OCZ Gamextream 600w
    Coolermaster Stacker 830
    32" Dynex HDTV on HDMI
    Vista Premium 64-bit

If you look around you can see that almost all board makers have some issues
    I'd definitely agree with that. That's why a decision for bying a specific one is so hard to make. I'm glad Soyo is working very well for you. Its good to know that there are positive experiences with this brand as well as negative ones that I heard of.
    My setup:
    Athlon XP Barton 3000
    Video ATI Radeon 9200
    2 IDE HDs
    5 case fans
    No OCing...

Ok, here's an update. I put my Hard drive into hubby's computer and ran diagnostic. It gave me errors. Then I tried LowLevel format option, but I think that the option was actually "testing" of low-level format, not actually doing it. There was also an option "process". The testing of low-level format worked fine (did not report any errors). After that I hit "process" button, and it seemed to be actually doing low-level format. It was taking too long, so I left it run overnight (was about 40% done when I went to bed). This morning looked at the screen and it showed me an error saying something like "drive timed out". I exited the utility this morning, then re-ran diagnostic, which also gave me errors. Here's the log of the utility testing:

[SELF DIAGNOSTIC (Hutil v1.21)]
    Model Name : SAMSUNG SP0812C
    Rom Revision : SU100-27
    Serial Number : 0886J1FX423686
    Drive Size : 76351MB (LBA : 156368016)
    Start Time : Thu Sep 16 21:21:14 2004

-------------------------------------------------
    Test Loop Number : 1/1
    >> CHECK CHANNEL INTEGRITY : Testing... Pass !
    >> CHECK M.C. : Testing... Pass !
    >> CHECK S.M.A.R.T. : Testing... Pass !
    >> SPIN DOWN / UP : Testing... Pass !
    >> SIMPLE READ / WRITE : Testing... Pass !
    >> SIMPLE SURFACE SCAN : Testing... Pass !
    >> WRITE VERIFY : Testing... Pass !
    >> AVERAGE SEEK TIME : Testing... Pass !
    >> MAXIMUM SEEK TIME : Testing... Pass !
    >> RANDOM SURFACE SCAN : Testing... Pass !
    >> READ SURFACE SCAN : Testing...
    Error : LBA 34820426
    Error : Data is uncorrectable.

Scan Elapsed Time : 00:30:50
    Error Occured Test Loop Number 1
    End Time : Thu Sep 16 21:54:42 2004
    Test was completed.
    =================================================

[LOW LEVEL FORMAT (Hutil v1.21)]
    Start Time : Thu Sep 16 21:55:25 2004

>> LOW LEVEL FORMAT : Testing... Skip !

End Time : Thu Sep 16 21:55:43 2004
    Test was completed.

[LOW LEVEL FORMAT (Hutil v1.21)]
    Start Time : Thu Sep 16 21:56:32 2004

>> LOW LEVEL FORMAT : Testing... Pass !

End Time : Thu Sep 16 22:27:20 2004
    Test was completed.

[SELF DIAGNOSTIC (Hutil v1.21)]
    Start Time : Fri Sep 17 06:48:07 2004

>> CHECK CHANNEL INTEGRITY : Testing... Pass !
    >> CHECK M.C. : Testing... Pass !
    >> CHECK S.M.A.R.T. : Testing... Pass !
    >> SPIN DOWN / UP : Testing... Pass !
    >> SIMPLE READ / WRITE : Testing... Pass !
    >> SIMPLE SURFACE SCAN : Testing... Pass !
    >> WRITE VERIFY : Testing... Pass !
    >> AVERAGE SEEK TIME : Testing... Pass !
    >> MAXIMUM SEEK TIME : Testing... Pass !
    >> RANDOM SURFACE SCAN : Testing...
    Error : LBA 127863496
    >> READ SURFACE SCAN : Testing...
    Error : LBA 34820426

Scan Elapsed Time : 00:30:47
    Error Occured Test Loop Number 1
    End Time : Fri Sep 17 07:19:39 2004
    Test was completed.

So, I could try either low-leveling it again or just try reformatting it. I'm hoping that If there are bad sectors on the drive, formatting will mark them as un-usable, and maybe I can still test this drive with hubby's computer.

Is it possible that it is yet another bad drive? I ran diag only 1ce before the MBM5 crashing, and even though result was good - could diag have missed the problem?
    My setup:
    Athlon XP Barton 3000
    Video ATI Radeon 9200
    2 IDE HDs
    5 case fans
    No OCing...

Quote Originally Posted by galarius
    AMD 2600XP
    GA-7VAXP-ULTRA
    5900XT
    MAXTOR 120GB SATA HDD
    768 MB CRUCIAL RAM

recently i just had a maxtor 120gb SATA hdd replaced because it comletely crashed. However i've only had the new one installed a week and it has just shown the first sign of failure as the first one. I'll give you a run down of what happened to the first drive maybe one of you will know whats happening..

first pc failed to shut down, windows would shut down but would not powerdown unless mouse button was clicked.

second would not powerdown from windows, had to use power button

third pc refused to boot and data on hdd was unretrievable

got an error code from powermax and they replaced the drive but after only having the new drive a week and its doing the same it must be something in my system thats causing this.

Anybody got any ideas..
    s'funny but I was gonna post the same question; my symptoms ^^ plus others - but about my Maxtor diamondmax drives. I have done all the usual as suggested but this keeps happening. they crash or click like they are powering down then starting up again and then the system finally crashes. It happens with 2 x 40 gig an 80 and a 120. Different cables; removing raid card; changing psu - nothing works. In the last year I sent 2 drives back to maxtor and they were replaced as faulty when doing this ( both new ones now crashing randomly too); but it gets expensive doing that. Tried swapping between pc's and they still do it, whilst putting other make drives in my pc makes the issue go away.

Seriously thinking about dumping maxtor as I am sure it is a HD design problem.

they crash or click like they are powering down then starting up again and then the system finally crashes.
    You know.. something very similar happened on my machine last Saturday evening.. While I was playing Call of Duty (would only happen when the game had been up for between 1-2 hours) I checked my CPU temp and it was around 57C.. I didnt think that was the problem.. but I couldnt afford a HD at the time and I have more than a few.. so I thought i would replace the Fan and see if I could get the temp lower.. After I did that sunday.. CPU Temp hovers around 44C, 47C under load.. and I then played COD for 6 hours straight with no more errors.. It was a very weird sound.. more like a ping than a click.. and honestly.. I dont know if this is anyway related to your HD error.. but that quote sure sounds exactly like what was going on with my machine before I cooled the CPU down a bit. I am one of those weird lucky few that in 10+ years of building computers.. I have never had a HD actually go bad on me.. have seen them go bad in other computers.. but always after the fact. Never actually been present when one has died. Whether you call it luck or fate.. sometimes I wish I could see one actually die so that I could note the sounds & symptoms.. but alas.. always a bridesmaid and never the bride I suppose.. that doesnt really sound very good.. but I cant think of a better analogy.. oh well..

Now as for Comp Girl.. It does indeed sound like your HD has gone bad.. the real question is what caused it to go bad I suppose. Seems like the fellow posters have helped you narrow it down to either your MB or your PS.. Honestly.. if I was in your shoes.. I would be a transvestite.. oh wait.. sorry.. lemme rephrase If I was in your position.. I would replace both rather than risk cooking another HD. Good luck and keep us posted on future developments

Tunes67
    Last edited by Tunes67; 09-17-2004 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Additional Info
    A+GPB 450W PSU
    1 Gig Mixed Kingston
    ATI 9600XT AIW
    2 WD 80 gig Sata HDs
    Nostromo N52 Speed pad
    Canon Scanner
    Epson C80 Printer

Also, and unless you know someone with the gear and knowledge to properly test a PSU, please consider swapping it out, at least for troubleshooting. BIOS and/or DMM readings alone cannot possibly reveal all of the problems a PSU may have.