Thread: Email Spam

Email Spam

Hi all

I have a funny feeling I have an intruder of some sort. I have been getting spam as of late that seems to know what sites I have been going to.
    I looked up some information on Catholicism the other day and now I am getting emails with references to things of that nature. This is just one example.
    I did not register anywhere or fill out any online forms, etc. I get emails to one of my addresses that only 2 people have (my mom and my dad). How could I be getting emails to this addy and on sujects that I have looked up on the net?
    I use the winxp firewall, have Ad-Aware and Antivir SE all updated.
    I have Privacy set to Mid-High, although I have seen it set to Allow All Cookies (but I think windows update might have reset this). I also have pop-up blocker checked in the Internet Options/privacy tab.

I get tracking cookies and remove them with Ad-Aware, but nothing else shows up.
    No viruses/trojans show up using Antivir. I believe I have the settings to scan everything.

Any ideas how how I am getting these emails?
    Oh yeah, I am not flooded with them, maybe 4-6 a day or so. It just seems very odd that I would get any at all, at least to my private addy for family only.
    I do not open any of them. Some do have attachments, but I never open any of them.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Email Spam

One way to stop the emails is to change your email address with your internet provider. Then if the emails return you know that you or your internet provider has been hacked.

Sounds to me like you have spyware. You should read through the “Spyware” sticky at the top of this forum and follow the instructions for checking for and removing any spyware you find. Even if this is not the cause of your “Spam” it’s a wise thing to do.
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

Thanks guys.
    I will look more into the spyware.

I was wondering. Do programs exsist that make up random email addy's?
    If so, then that is probably why I am getting some. But I have no idea if there is such a thing. The reason I think maybe this might be the case is by the fact that they have a lot of other addy's they are going to. Things similar to mine, sometimes. Sometimes mothing like mine.
    Maybe a good email addy would be something like ?
    3#gB*4_T^X@wherever
    Last edited by Formula One; 03-07-2006 at 07:06 PM.
    System Specs
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-UD3R <> INTEL E8400 AT 4.0GHz (445X9) <> XIGMATEK HDT-S1283R <> 2048(x4) G.SKILL DDR2-1000 <> XFX GEFORCE GTX 285 <> WESTERN DIGITAL 640GB <> REALTEK ALC889A AUDIO <> CORSAIR TX750 <> ASUS DRW-22B1LT DVD <> LOGITECH Z506 5.1 <> ACER 25.5" LCD(x3) <> MATROX TRIPLEHEAD2GO <> LOGITECH G500 <> GENIUS G-PEN F610 <> LOGITECH G25 <> LOGITECH G940 <> RAZER NOSTROMO <> NATURALPOINT TRACK-IR 4 <> 11240/2048 CABLE CONNECTION <> MS VISTA ULTIMATE X64

Yes there are programs that make up random e-mail and send out spam to those e-mail addresses. I have heard that some even record any “Good” e-mail address they find for future use.

There are also Trojans that can get your e-mail information and pass it on to just about anyone. And if someone you know has an infected system with this type of Trojan it could get your e-mail information from their address book. So it’s not just your system you need to worry about.

The sad thing is that most people feel safe and protected when they use their system on line but I’m willing to bet that a HUGE percentage of people are infected or at risk. I don’t know how many time’s I’ve worked on someone’s PC who’s been “Having trouble with it.” The first thing I ask is “Do you have an up to date Virus software and is your version of Windows running the latest patches and security updates?”

Usually I get an answer like “Well the system came with some Anti Virus software when I bought it two years ago so it’s good. And I’m running Windows XP but what’s a Patch?”

If it didn’t happen all the time I would be shocked I guess.

You know I keep pretty close watch on my systems, I have a hardware firewall as well as software firewall and I still don’t feel 100 % safe.
    Last edited by RatboyX; 03-08-2006 at 10:49 AM.
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

Thanks for the info.
    So far I have been unable to find any signs of a trojan and nothing more than a few tracking cookies. So I have a strong feeling it is in deed a mass mailer type thing, My email addy's would be easy to 'hit' upon. I may change them to something similar to the example in my prior post.

I don't trust my security. I don't use my pc for anything that would be a risk, so I don't worry too much about it. No banking or personal info of any kind. LOL, even when I order online, I pay by mailing a check or money order. I have never used my credit card online, nor any bank drafts. I am certainly no expert, but I read enough to know that, like you said. most home pc's are not secure.

I do keep my machine and it's security software updated, but I still don't trust it enough to have anything important on it. I do run under administrator privileges all the time, so that in its self puts me at a higher risk.

Thank you all for the help, suggestions and advice. You guys have been very helpful