Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: NOS Bar - It's Not All Hot Air and Gas

Quote Originally Posted by Fluff n Stuff
    Too late... all we got left is Tea. {Ned, shuddup, shuddup, shuddup, he's gonna buy it, I'm telling you! mmmmpppfffffffhahaha.... shshhhhhh... not really, shush...}
    Hey Fluff, don't be trying to sell off my secret tea stash - unless you get a good price for it

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider
    Hey Fluff, don't be trying to sell off my secret tea stash - unless you get a good price for it
    You can put it in the safe with the cookies if you like... Been a while since anyone stole the cookies from the cookie jar... Safe combo is on the first page.

first page... we havnt even made one page yet. Oh dont tell me you view less than 40 posts per page
    Excerts from 213 Things Skippy Cant Do

"47. I am not a citizen of Texas, and those other, forty-nine, lesser states."
    "164. There is no such thing as a were-virgin."

and my personal favorite

"197. I am not allowed to sing “Henry the VIII I am” until verse 68 ever again."

yeah less than 40. I have a small attention span. But hey, it IS still on the first page isn't it?

Hey have any of you guys heard about Windows XP Starter Edition? Ned, myself and a few other mods were having a mild chat about it, and concluded that it could be a bit of a joke, so I'd like to hear if anyone else has anything to add...

I'm not quite sure if you are serious or not, but there is a Windows XP SE running through the rumor mill. Of course, the SE does not stand for Starter Edition, though in my oppinion it should. SE would essentially be what the bridge the gap with between XP and Longhorn seeing as this would be one of the largest release gaps in MS history. If I were a bettin man, and Im not, I would bet XP SE would contain all security fixes, some new form of solitair I havn't thought of, probably look a lot like Longhorn, but lack WinFS. Essentially it would be what Windows 98 is to Windows 95, nothing impressive...

All conjecture and rumor of course

and my personal favorite

"197. I am not allowed to sing “Henry the VIII I am” until verse 68 ever again."

btw - no fair having chats with the mods and telling us about it, you make me feel lefted out

and my personal favorite

Quote Originally Posted by SplinterFaction
    btw - no fair having chats with the mods and telling us about it, you make me feel lefted out
    Can't believe you guys missed this one. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/biztech...and.xplite.ap/

I picked it up on the linux forums. Folks there just couldn't stop laughing

The best bit has to be it limits you to only running 3 applications at a time. So, I'm running my Firewall app, my anti-virus app and my spyware blocker. Now, I want to go online and maybe check my e-mail, so which of these 3 applications should I shut down first

and they wonder why I can't take them seriously

I would like help with linux, but I can't do it, I'm a linux impared idiot...

Quote Originally Posted by SplinterFaction
    I would like help with linux, but I can't do it, I'm a linux impared idiot...
    Check out something called Knoppix. It's a Live Linux CD. You just put it in your CD drive and boot up the machine. It runs totally from the CD with no install and is great for trying out linux and seeing if it will work with your hardware (at absolutely no risk).

Linux is a great OS, but it's not for everyone. There is a very steep learning curve but the rewards are worth it IMHO. I needed to learn Unix for work so that's why I started with linux about 3 years ago. If you're used to using DOS/the command prompt in windows then you should be able to pick it up but you do need to put in the time to begin with. It's not necessarily a straight desktop replacement for Windows - the power come from what else you can do with it.

I've switched most of my systems at home over to linux now. There were two main reasons for that. Firstly, I got sick of all the viruses/exploits/vunerabilities in windows (there are no viruses for linux) and secondly, since I recently left my job I can no longer use my employers corporate licences for windows/office at home and replacing them on 3 machines would have cost me far too much (Linux and Open Office are free).

Ned
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 08-24-2004 at 12:00 AM.

Well, I have Knoppix already, and I use it for diagnostics of broken PC's, but I havnt found much else use for linux. I can't really game on it, but I hear its great for servers...

and my personal favorite

Yes, not to good for games I suppose, but I don't play games

Great for servers though

People are always comparing linux to Windows XP. What the should do is compare a linux distro to Windows 2K3 Server/Office 2K3 Pro, work out how many licences you'd need and then save yourself a small fortune.

Linux can be many different things to many different people - Flexability is it's strength.

It's rock solid stable - I've never managed to crash the kernel.
    It can be a server/firewall (what do you think this site runs on)
    It can be a secure desktop (no viruses/security issues; media and gaming are it's weak points here)

I could go on ...

are there any easy firewall distros with a web interface? i would like to set one up like that

and my personal favorite

Yes:

http://www.smoothwall.org/

I've not tried it but it's supposed to be good. It uses the standard linux firewall that's built into every linux but is designed to be installed on old hardware to set them up as a dedicated firewall. You could easily do this on any distro though.

My netgear router/firewall is actually based on a small version of linux and uses exactly the same firewall as are many hardware firewalls

This stuff, when configured correctly, is industry strength.

Ned

with web interface like linksys routers have?

and my personal favorite