Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why Is There Hate?

I've always wondered this. I've met many people of different races, religions, nationalities, socio-economic conditions, political viewpoints, sizes, shapes, dispositions, you name it. I've met some really peaceful, loving, caring people and some very hateful, bitter individuals as well. But out of all the people I've met, I've never met a person that likes to be hated. Yet we all seem to love to hate something or someone.

So what I've decided to do was come to the good people of PC Perspective and get your opinion on why does hate exist? No one wants to be hated, it never feels good, yet there's so much of it everywhere we look. Sometimes the hate is so heavy you can feel it like humidity in the air (look at any newspaper from any major city and you'll see the hate splattered all over the front page).

Why is it? Is it because of the devil? Is it because of our ignorance? Maybe it's a survival mechanism? What? And more importantly do you think mankind will ever be able to see past his hatred and be able to truly work with one another and build a world that's benefictial to all? Or will our hate be the death of us? The first animal to let it's emotions cause it's own demise.

PCPER, speak on it!

Re: Why Is There Hate?

Quotes by Yoda:

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

Beware of the dark side.

why does hate exist?
    - For me personaly, the only people that I hate are the ones that do not take into consideration the feelings of others. which technically I could bowl down even more to "i hate people that don't agree with me" becuase taking into the considerations of others IS an ideal that I may share but others don't ...... so yea, i guess people hate because others don't agree with them ... i'll admit it

do you think mankind will ever be able to see past his hatred and be able to truly work with one another and build a world that's benefictial to all
    - nope, we have no chance. the hate will continue. seriously.....

EDIT : Reading back over my reply, I think I didn't really answer your question about why hate exists. I would say this, hate is what happens when :

two or more people have conflicting views on a situation and each thinks their solution is better but neither side gives in to the other's viewpoint. both sides try to persuade the other sides with logic, but once logic fails, the only thing they have left to do is hate the other becuase they are at a lack to do anything else since neither side budges.

hmm, i hope i answer is ontopic cuz i had a hard time keeping my thoughts toghether on this one.....
    Last edited by nytmare; 08-26-2004 at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 'K-
    I've always wondered this. I've met many people of different races, religions, nationalities, socio-economic conditions, political viewpoints, sizes, shapes, dispositions, you name it. I've met some really peaceful, loving, caring people and some very hateful, bitter individuals as well. But out of all the people I've met, I've never met a person that likes to be hated. Yet we all seem to love to hate something or someone.

So what I've decided to do was come to the good people of PC Perspective and get your opinion on why does hate exist? No one wants to be hated, it never feels good, yet there's so much of it everywhere we look. Sometimes the hate is so heavy you can feel it like humidity in the air (look at any newspaper from any major city and you'll see the hate splattered all over the front page).

Why is it? Is it because of the devil? Is it because of our ignorance? Maybe it's a survival mechanism? What? And more importantly do you think mankind will ever be able to see past his hatred and be able to truly work with one another and build a world that's benefictial to all? Or will our hate be the death of us? The first animal to let it's emotions cause it's own demise.

PCPER, speak on it!

Hatred is a good thing! Think off it this way you are a caveman and very day you go out hunting. Every day you catch something but every other day a big fat bear takes your catch. Plan off action two chosses 1. be nice to the bear and let it take what it wants. 2. Develop a hatred for the bear and poision a few off you catchs, the bear dies and you get a new coat.

This also applys to people, some seem to think that the world owes them a living. They think they can help themselfs to what ever belongs to others. They don't give a shit about anyone, if putting you down gets them what they are after that is what they will do. Not everyone is nice and some will try to be when they realy are not.

The thing to remember is, is that because you think you are a nice person it doesn't mean that others will view you as nice. Even if you are nice don't expect others to be like you because a lot off people aren't, all you can do is to try and be nice. If they are not nice back then them its time to hate them

Quote Originally Posted by mr necro
    If they are not nice back then them its time to hate them

Quote Originally Posted by nytmare
    Don't roll your eyes at me and say nothing.
    Last edited by smoked trout; 08-26-2004 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Insult

Quote Originally Posted by nytmare
    two or more people have conflicting views on a situation and each thinks their solution is better but neither side gives in to the other's viewpoint. both sides try to persuade the other sides with logic, but once logic fails, the only thing they have left to do is hate the other becuase they are at a lack to do anything else since neither side budges.
    Very good answer but what about racism, sexism, and any other "ism". If a person hates without even knowing nor caring what your viewpoint is then your viewpoint can't be the reason they hate you.

Just a few thoughts...

Hatred can be born from many things. Ignorance, arrogance, anger and pride just to name a few. It takes a lot of effort to learn about something we're unfamiliar with, to take the time to listen and understand a viewpoint that's different from our own, to realize that we can be angry at what someone has done without hating the person(s) who did it.

Too often we take things at surface value instead of looking in depth to see what it's all about. It's far easier to hate what we don't understand, don't agree with or is vastly different from ourselves, than it is to take a good hard look at it.

Usually, when we express hate toward someone/something we are not questioned on why, it's just accepted because in some way everyone knows what it's like to hate something. Questioning it means confronting it. A lot of people don't like confrontation. At least not face-to-face anyway.

While it does not feel good to be hated, it does feel good to hate. If you hate someone, then you can focus on how much better you are than them, and make yourself feel better. And if they hate you back, well, who cares what they think? You hate them.

This also works on a societal scale. Everyone wants to be the good guys, and the easiest way to do this is to hate something. Every hero needs a villian.

I hate people because I do not like them!
    looking for a 5GB Athlon

In the simplest terms, hate is bred through ignorance and a failure to recognize a different viewpoint.

Racism/xenophobia is a great example of hatred that is derived from ignorance in most cases.

I think the saying "walk a mile in my shoes" is wisdom that many people ignore too often.

"Walk a mile in an Iraqi's shoes" who is currently under occupation from a foreign country.

"Walk a mile in the shoes" of someone in poverty in our country and then decide if some of those "social" programs are indeed wasteful.

Hate...well, why hate when you can love?
    George W. Bush <--- Al Qaeda's #1 Recruiter

GWB - "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job!"
    On Nov. 6, 1963, Laura Welch (now Bush) ran a stop sign and murdered Michael Douglas.
    republiKan values: mark foley, tom delay, jack abramoff, john rowland, duke cunningham, david safavian, bob taft, brent wilkes, james tobin, scooter libby and ernie fletcher. Poster CRIMINALS and PEDOPHILES of the repug party.
    The only two things you ever need to know about GWB:
    "The most important thing is for us to find Osama Bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him." - George W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I don't know where he is. I have no idea, and I really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - George W. Bush, 3/13/02

Thanks Bear, Jrhvball, & Talyn. You all gave some very good insightful answers.

"While it does not feel good to be hated, it does feel good to hate." - Bear4615
    ^^^ I know scientists have proven we all have a need to love and be loved. I wonder sometimes do we also have a need to hate. Things that make you go hmmmm...

I'm sittin' here with my son who only hates one thing... shit in his diaper. He truly enjoys everything else. The beauty of untarnished youth.

I would like all of you to walk a mile in his shoes (O.K., thirty feet with bare feet) to fully experience the sense of hating only one thing in life and enjoying everything else. I think it will be a sensory experience that trully will expand your horizons.

Just crap your pants and keep it that way for ten minutes while running in a circle on your Living Room floor.

Please post any life improvements.

Easy. Sin. There is no "the devil made me do it". The Devil doesn't make you "do anything". But he is a master of human nature, prolly knows you better than you know yourself, and he knows how to tempt you.

But ultimately, it is your free will that chooses to succumb to temptation, and sin. Hate is a sin. It is simply an extension of a sinful world.

The answer to this question is easy (Well at least in my mind! )
    Hate exists so that we can experience love. Without hate, love could not exist. The two are part of a range of negative and positive emotions that require the existance of counter-emotion/feelings to exist.
    Think about it. If you really NEVER knew what hate/fear was, then how could you know what love is? You wouldn't have a reference point to compare "love" to, so there would be no way to know "what love is". Instead we would be emotionless.
    Therefore, I think that as a people we need to praise and cherish the existance of hate, fear, pain, and helplessness. Because, without these things, we wouldn't beable to know the "good" things in life such as, admiration, love, pleasure, and empowerement.
    Without, "Hot", "Cold" has no meaning. Without "up", "down" does not exist. Without "Here", there is no "there". Without "Evil", there can be no "good".
    Without "Hate", there is no "love".
    For me, "original sin" is actually an "original blessing". This is because without that initial sin, there would be no way to experience the blessings that life has to bring.
    Cherish the bad times in your life, because without those, you would not beable to know the experience of the good times. It's all relative.