Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: "Compassion" - to punish queers

Quote Originally Posted by afalzone
    nuke,

I really, really hope that one of your kids turns out to be gay? Maybe that would lower your level of self-righteousness. Have you ever looked at statistics of how many women have lesbian experiences by the time they finish college? If you have a daughter, just think of how likely it is that she'll try it in college. Of course, you're probably saying that a Christian girl raised right who goes to church won't try sex. Actually they are the worse ones. My friends love girls like that since they just go wild on the weekends, sleep around and experiment like crazy. My point is that instead of bible beating you might want to read that book you're thumping and pay attention to the parts about Jesus being tolerant and accepting others. I don't recall many stories of him pickong on people.

You mistake my views as self-righteousness, but you are quite wrong. It is simple fact that homosexuality is NOT normal, and Biblically not supported.

It is not that I want to see gay people shot or austricized...........on the other hand, like AndrewLB, I don't support gay marriage, and I further believe that homosexuality should be DISCOURAGED, and the TRUTH that it is an aberation taught to help ppl avoid this affliction.

I further believe it should be kept out of mainstream media.

And whether or not my kids become gay is irrelevant to my position.

Quote Originally Posted by afalzone
    nuke,

I really, really hope that one of your kids turns out to be gay? Maybe that would lower your level of self-righteousness. Have you ever looked at statistics of how many women have lesbian experiences by the time they finish college? If you have a daughter, just think of how likely it is that she'll try it in college. Of course, you're probably saying that a Christian girl raised right who goes to church won't try sex. Actually they are the worse ones. My friends love girls like that since they just go wild on the weekends, sleep around and experiment like crazy. My point is that instead of bible beating you might want to read that book you're thumping and pay attention to the parts about Jesus being tolerant and accepting others. I don't recall many stories of him pickong on people.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuke
    You mistake my views as self-righteousness, but you are quite wrong. It is simple fact that homosexuality is NOT normal, and Biblically not supported.

It is not that I want to see gay people shot or austricized...........on the other hand, like AndrewLB, I don't support gay marriage, and I further believe that homosexuality should be DISCOURAGED, and the TRUTH that it is an aberation taught to help ppl avoid this affliction.

My 23-year-old son is gay. Was it hard for the wife and I to accept that when we first learned about it 5 years ago? You bet it was. It wasn't easy for his siblings when they found out either. However, we all have gotten past that a long time ago.

Although we are not religious zealots, we have for many years maintained Christian values in our home. Our son now claims to be agnostic. That fits. With the knowledge he has from his upbringing he knows how Christianity views homosexuality. In his mind he has to question the existance of God so he can feel free to continue his way of life w/o feeling guilty of voilating what Christianity teaches.

Has any of this changed my position toward homosexuality? Not one bit. I have to agree with nuke on this.

Has it changed the way we feel about our son? Definitely not. We don't like or approve of his sexual orientation, but he is still our son and we love him as much as we ever have. He has been and always will be a loved and appreciated member of our family. And to top that off, his partner is a very likeable young man. We all get along very well together.

To afalzone I can only say this...

Don't talk to us about tolerance or accepting others until you have walked a mile or two in my shoes, and can show some of that tolerance and acceptance toward those of us that you like to refer to as 'Bible beaters'.

As far as this topic is concerned, IMO 17 years is way too harsh a punishment. It's engaging in sexual activity with a minor and should be dealt with as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn
    My 23-year-old son is gay. Was it hard for the wife and I to accept that when we first learned about it 5 years ago? You bet it was. It wasn't easy for his siblings when they found out either. However, we all have gotten past that a long time ago.

Although we are not religious zealots, we have for many years maintained Christian values in our home. Our son now claims to be agnostic. That fits. With the knowledge he has from his upbringing he knows how Christianity views homosexuality. In his mind he has to question the existance of God so he can feel free to continue his way of life w/o feeling guilty of voilating what Christianity teaches.

Has any of this changed my position toward homosexuality? Not one bit. I have to agree with nuke on this.

Has it changed the way we feel about our son? Definitely not. We don't like or approve of his sexual orientation, but he is still our son and we love him as much as we ever have. He has been and always will be a loved and appreciated member of our family. And to top that off, his partner is a very likeable young man. We all get along very well together.

Don't talk to us about tolerance or accepting others until you have walked a mile or two in my shoes, and can show some of that tolerance and acceptance toward those of us that you like to refer to as 'Bible beaters'.

As far as this topic is concerned, IMO 17 years is way too harsh a punishment. It's engaging in sexual activity with a minor and should be dealt with as such.
    Well put, I concur completely.

Quote Originally Posted by nuke

its not like if its "encouraged" (i dont see how with all the ridicule that still exists).. what would that change? you're gay or your not. all the "encouragement" would do is cause people to ADMIT it, not change how they are. and this "truth" is YOUR view on it. no one KNOWS the absolute truth.

btw do you support civil unions, as andrew does?
    Quote Originally Posted by Talyn

i respect your views talyn especially as you didnt "disown" your son as i have heard of happening.
    Abit NF7-S rev 2 - 1700+ tbred B @ 2.4 ghz - 512 mb OCZ PC3500EL - ATI 9800 Pro

"see it, believe it, never stop working to make it happen"

CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike
    i respect your views talyn especially as you didnt "disown" your son as i have heard of happening.
    Thanks. Disowning him was never even considered. He will always be our son no matter what.

BTW, I like the quote in your sig. I'm sure that at times it is all too true.

Throwing God, Allah, etc out of it, looking at nature, being straight is natural, if only for continuing the human race.

But, there is a major discrepancy between what orientation you have. Take the Matt Shepard case. I don't agree with Shepard's lifestyle, but what was done was inexcusable. At the same time had the same thing happend for another reason, the guys that did those brutal things to him would've gotten off with a lesser punishment. That is a bunch of crap.