Thread: "Flip-flops"

Red face "Flip-flops"

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._logcabin_dc_5
    The group has also criticized what it calls "flip-flops" by John Kerry (news - web sites), the Democratic presidential nominee, for statements that he opposes same-sex marriages but also opposes amending the Constitution to ban it.
    If this is a republican interpretation of the term "flip-flop", then I can say I would ONLY support someone if they practiced this type of flip-flop.

John Kerry believes marriage is between a man and a woman. He is catholic, after all. However, opposing a constitutional ban doesn't require you to support the idea of gay marriage. You could just, you know, oppose the actual action they are taking. I don't like religious people that much - that doesn't mean I'm going to go on a shooting rampage, now is it? I guess this is a flip-flop according to the republicans, isn't it? After all, if I don't like religious people, according to this groups logic, I should do everything in my power to get rid of them, including things that are really really wrong.

Changing the constitution to discriminate is wrong in my eyes. It just wrong. If you think it's alright, that's fine. That isn't the point. The point is, you can believe marriage is a union between a man and a woman - and still not be against ammending the constitution, if you believe ammending the constitution to add discrimination, is wrong.

Another example is from a while back, and is now been brought up again, in a different way. The issue is that of partial-birth abortions.

A third federal judge ruled Wednesday that the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act is unconstitutional, saying it fails to include an exception when a woman's health is in danger.
    This was exactly the same reasoning Barack Obama used to attack this law. Of course, as soon as they heard Barack Obama opposed this act, the Republicans attacked. Alan Keyes actually compared this attitude to that of slavers - as if the fact that he is black gives him some great insight in a slaves life, over 100 years after slavery was abolished in the U.S.

I'm sorry, but slavers are not well known for opposing laws because of the fact they don't make exceptions for when innocent lives are in danger.

Again, it's the same concept. I oppose abortion in general. But not when the mother's life is in danger. Maybe that's the wrong stance to take in your eyes, but understand that it's quite possible to oppose abortion, yet allow it in some cases.

The most obvious example for me is self-defense. It is wrong to go up to someone and punch their lights out. But what if they pull a gun out at you, is it still the wrong thing to do?

I guess I'm just a flip-flopper at heart.

P.S. some of you may wonder how I can oppose ammending the constitution to add descrimination so rigidly. I do not. I simply do not believe that this issue is serious enough to warrant such an extreme action. Leave it up to YOUR state to decide, not YOUR country.

Re: "Flip-flops"

"Cobra_nvidia sees two Americas...................well, America sees two Cobra_nvidias." - VP Cheney........................

I might have got part of that wrong................................

Hey Cobra, you're either with us or against us!

My video "tribute" to Armed Assault.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiles4
    Hey Cobra, you're either with us or against us!
    and if you're not with us, you're against us!

jo mama

i dont see it as discrimination ..................I see it as the ability to discern ....

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_nVidia
    jo mama
    Don't you be talkin' bo my mama, homeboy............................