Thread: qmail users?

qmail users?

Anyone set up or recommend qmail? I need a mail server on FC2 and have been thrown so many options.

Sendmail = Too advanced

Qmail = Sounds nice but not sure where to start

Postfix = Same as above

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do for FC2?

Sendmail is very popular and seems to be the Linux standard but I feel that all the set up and advanced structure will just leave me with a very unsecure mail server running on my machine assuming I would even get that thing set up
    ./

Re: qmail users?

Quote Originally Posted by carlwill
    Anyone set up or recommend qmail? I need a mail server on FC2 and have been thrown so many options.

Sendmail = Too advanced

Qmail = Sounds nice but not sure where to start

Postfix = Same as above

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do for FC2?

Sendmail is very popular and seems to be the Linux standard but I feel that all the set up and advanced structure will just leave me with a very unsecure mail server running on my machine assuming I would even get that thing set up
    Personally I use postfix. However if you want to setup a mail server your going to have to sit down and take some time to understand how to set it all up. It took me a couple of months off and on to understand the ins and outs of the mail server. However it is definitly worth the time.
    Cry Havoc!!! and Let Slip the Dogs of War.

Probably with FC2, Postfix is your easiest solution as it comes packaged with FC2. qmail is good too if you feel like going that route. Exim is probably one of the easier ones to understand off the bat. But like ChaosX2 said, learning how MTA's work in general is your first obsticle to overcome. Then moving to postfix, sendmail, qmail, exim, etc... is a lot easier once you know what it should be wanting in the way of configurations.

Here is one (older) howto to get you off the ground.
    http://www.redhat.com/support/resour...WTO/book1.html

And here is a good howto with some things typically done. (this one is current and the guy who wrote it is very active on the postfix lists if you have questions)

http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patr...tter/smtpauth/

compair and contrast, you'll get it working. Just make sure you run a
    telnet relay-test.mail-abuse.org
    from the server to see if you are an open relay. (save us from more spam )

Biggest difference I see with that howto and what I do when I have a FC2 box is I use the Alternatives command RH/FC implimented from Debian to pick my preferred MTA. Google it.
    http://dustsmoke.com/images/dustsmoke_logo.gif

Quote Originally Posted by DustSmoke
    Biggest difference I see with that howto and what I do when I have a FC2 box is I use the Alternatives command RH/FC implimented from Debian to pick my preferred MTA. Google it.
    What MTA did you use?
    ./