New user.....help

hey, I am going to load linux on my box, 'cause my prof wants everyone in cmsc104 to have linux.......whats the best gui driven linux for a complete linux newb?
    I have Fedora downloaded.........should I try something else?
    Tbred 1.47@230x10.5=2411
    NF7 w/ VDD mod
    2x256DDR sync 2-2-2-11
    r9500np>9700 @400/365
    3DMark2k3-19530
    3DMark2k3-6595
    My HEAT

Re: New user.....help

Personally I use SuSE but you should be fine. Any of the major distros isnt really better than any other IMO, they sometimes just do things a bit different and thus it ends up being a question of taste.

Any linux dist can be gui driven, there's a bit more to it than the graphics, package managment )installing and uninstalling software) plays a bit part in how easy a dist is to handle.

YOPER ....... its one CD its fast ,its fast ,its fast it's easy ........it's easy good support......if you have a question often times it will be the guy who runs YOPER to its entirety answering...........YOPER......"IMHO" IT kicks Fedora, SuSE, Mandrake in thier Ashes .. Packages are EASY TO INSTALL .... Very FEW BUGS

Any distro is gonna be a fine choice, there isn't a large difference between the majority of them (besides that whole binary vs source thing).

As for a desktop enviroment thats a different story, it really depends on what you like.
    I suggest you choice to install as many desktops enviroments and programs as you can off the distro CD of your choice, that way you get to taste all the different styles. There as so many programs that all achieve the same thing that your bound to find a few you really enjoy using.

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

Quote Originally Posted by PaternityTest
    YOPER ....... its one CD its fast ,its fast ,its fast it's easy ........it's easy good support......if you have a question often times it will be the guy who runs YOPER to its entirety answering...........YOPER......"IMHO" IT kicks Fedora, SuSE, Mandrake in thier Ashes .. Packages are EASY TO INSTALL .... Very FEW BUGS
    you like yoper ??

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorX
    you like yoper ??
    UHM yeah ...how could you tell but i bounced around to a lot of Distros
    Its kinda nice .. i didnt have to install 4 cd's just to get k3b working like fedora and people actually are able to run KDE on PII's without complaing about speed Mozilla Loads faster than Firefox does on most other distros "excluding those who compile everything themsleves" ..I can play 3d games with no issues...... I had so many issues with previous distros ... they just dont exist for me anymore..... its just a pleasant experience

why linux (to use or to learn?). personally i'd ask what distro the professor runs and use it becuase you'll be able to get some support locally.
    I know exactly how the PC works. I understand the OOO, superscalar and superpiplined designs. I just don't understand how the PC doesn't work as shown in so many cases.

I second that you should go with Suse 9.1 personal iso. Its a nice distro, and plus its small.. one cd. Should suit you fine.

well, tried fedora, didn't work out too well......
    I have Yoper installed, but cant get the Ati Drivers installed......
    any help?
    I am lost
    Tbred 1.47@230x10.5=2411
    NF7 w/ VDD mod
    2x256DDR sync 2-2-2-11
    r9500np>9700 @400/365
    3DMark2k3-19530
    3DMark2k3-6595
    My HEAT

what card? ATI's made cards for a while now. IIRC the radeon line has 2 kernel mods -- one ATI and one from a 3rd party. ATI's works i think with only the 8000+ line, while the 3rd party works with all, but with much worse performance. this is what i got from the last time i tried installing a radeon card.
    I know exactly how the PC works. I understand the OOO, superscalar and superpiplined designs. I just don't understand how the PC doesn't work as shown in so many cases.

I have a 9800........
    the problem is I dont know how to use a linux system to well.
    Such as, clicking a file dosn't run it, it opens it.............
    Tbred 1.47@230x10.5=2411
    NF7 w/ VDD mod
    2x256DDR sync 2-2-2-11
    r9500np>9700 @400/365
    3DMark2k3-19530
    3DMark2k3-6595
    My HEAT

The Bufe...

I'd recommend Fedora, Mandrake, or Suse for your first distro. I have no experience with Yoper so I can't comment.

As far as getting full 3d acceleration going with an ATI card... lets just say it took me 3 hours of messing around and I'm starting to get decently competent with Linux...

If you're serious about getting into Linux I highly recommend Running Linux from O'Reilly. I have it sitting around and its one of the most helpful resources.

Props to your professor for having you get acquainted with Linux. I find it funny that I have to help out one of my buddies with a full fledged CS degree understand how to do simple task in linux.

Hope everything works out for ya!
    barton 3000+, 8rda, 512 2700 samsung, evga6800GT, GTXP and delta66, 80gb wdse
    Arch Linux Homepage

I got the video drivers sorta installed......no 3d though.....but atleast the moniter is at a native resolution instead of 1280x960

Now, audio drivers........it says I have Audigy installed, and it thinks its working.......but no sound.
    any places to get audigy drivers?
    Tbred 1.47@230x10.5=2411
    NF7 w/ VDD mod
    2x256DDR sync 2-2-2-11
    r9500np>9700 @400/365
    3DMark2k3-19530
    3DMark2k3-6595
    My HEAT

If you have an audigy card the drivers ought to be installed allready, check that the volume is up and that nothing is muted.