Slackware troubles

I have slackware 10.0 installed running a custom 2.6.8.1, and a fglrx 3.11.0 module. Say I start xfree with 'startx' from init3, then when I go to logout of kde the system will freeze with a vertical scanline display right before you would get the login shell.

I dont think its a fglrx driver flaw, or atleast it works fine with other distrubutions, but the only ones i have used in the past always logout to a graphical login (gdm?). So I am unsure about this and would appreciate any thoughts.

Re: Slackware troubles

Are you just trying to logout to the KDM (k display manager) or are you trying to logout to your Comman Line Interface, if its the latter try hitting ctrl + alt + Backspace, see if it freezes when you do that, and from the frozen part try ctrl C. Just a few things to try in high hopes that they might work. thatway until you figure out how to fix it, at least you don't have to reboot all the time.

I dont think ive tried ctrl+alt+bs yet, cant really remember, ill give it a shot when a boot it up again and yea i was trying to logout to the shell login prompt, was trying it from init3..

I have figured out that it has something to do with the drivers, because when I use the Vesa drivers in works fine. I also have tried the same logout of kde by using init4 lvl, it even has the graphical greeter and trying to logout still results in the same thing. Guess im gonna try some tinkering, havent noticed anything in the kernel log or xfree.

tried the ctl+alt+bs and still got the freeze and control+c does nothing ... its a video freeze so..

something seems to be happening while fglrx.o is being unloaded (or atleast thats my guess), but since the driver has worked fine with other distro's than it must be some kind of flaw in my setup... somewhere..

and btw the freeze almost happens immediately (besides what i said before), i see no stopping services or init messages