Teens To Be Tried As Adults In Deacon's Death

I remember Rado creating a topic about being for abortion but against the death penalty and a spirited debate breaking out concerning the U.S. prison population. Basically a few posters stated that the U.S. has one of the biggest prison populations in the world but is only 5% of the world's population. That reminded me of many debates I've seen in the past on other websites concerning prosecuting those under age 18 as adults. I was especially reminded of these debates when I read this story.

So my question is, should those under the age of 18 be tried as adults? Personally, I believe in extreme circumstances they most certainly should. Especially in the case of the story posted above. In this particuliar case I don't even think it matters if the accused even knew whether it was wrong to take a man's life. If a pit bull mauled a man to death then we would put the dog to sleep. Certainly you can agree that a 13 year old is smarter than a pit bull. Well, by charging the 13 year old as an adult, the accused is already receiving better treatment then we'd give a dog. There's no gaurantee that the accused will be convicted, and if convicted, there's no gaurantee of the sentence the defendant would receive. So no matter how you look at it the accused is still getting off better than the dog would. Yet the dog may be even less aware that it was doing something wrong.

I hate to see kids charged as adults for crimes and face spending time in prison with those who are two to three times their age. However, this is an extremely violent and heinous crime that you'd think that even a child as young as 13 would know better than to commit.

What do you think?
    Last edited by 'K-; 09-15-2004 at 09:59 PM.

Re: Teens To Be Tried As Adults In Deacon's Death

The parents of any criminals under 18 should be charged as accomplices.

Quote Originally Posted by mostholycerebus
    The parents of any criminals under 18 should be charged as accomplices.
    I disagree but they should be investigated if the crime is extreme. If they are found to have contributed by not acting as responsible parents then I'm not against them being charged as accomplices.

mostholycerebus,

Why?

When I read this story I don't get mad per se, I just feel very sad. It seems like the legal system wants to put the blame on a 13 year old when this child is the end product of our social system. I don't think that a child of that age should be held accountable as an adult for his or her actions. Putting someone who hasn't hit puberty yet into the penal system amounts to cruel and unusual punishment in my opinion. It sounds as if the people in that state are happy to put children in jail instead of dealing with the social situations that have 13 year olds ending up as murderers.

Quote Originally Posted by afalzone
    mostholycerebus,

Why?

When I read this story I don't get mad per se, I just feel very sad. It seems like the legal system wants to put the blame on a 13 year old when this child is the end product of our social system. I don't think that a child of that age should be held accountable as an adult for his or her actions. Putting someone who hasn't hit puberty yet into the penal system amounts to cruel and unusual punishment in my opinion. It sounds as if the people in that state are happy to put children in jail instead of dealing with the social situations that have 13 year olds ending up as murderers.
    Lots of drug dealers would like the way you think. They could get a 13 year old mule to carry thier drugs, without him ever getting charged for a serious crime.Having problems with the local competition? Just get a 13 year old to shoot him.Punishing kids as adults, sends a message, 0 tolerance for felony crimes, whatever the age. Young offenders, even those tried as adults, are housed with other young offenders, and NOT with Adult convicts.If you do the crime, you do the time.How would you feel ,if some 13 year old wacko cut your sister up with an axe.? It not always societys fault for the way kids turn out.Each case is different, and kids have the right to a trial same as anyone. Also, just the fact that kids know they can be tried as adults, is a strong deterrant to them doing something really bad in the first place. Maybe more states ought to have a scared straight program, for first time juvenile offenders. It sends a strong message. BD51
    Last edited by BIGDADDY51; 09-17-2004 at 02:44 PM.
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

http://www.grandrapidsnightout.com/dining

it's DETROIT people..
    enuf said

25 murders every day over there

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDADDY51
    Lots of drug dealers would like the way you think. They could get a 13 year old mule to carry thier drugs, without him ever getting charged for a serious crime.Having problems with the local competition? Just get a 13 year old to shoot him.Punishing kids as adults, sends a message, 0 tolerance for felony crimes, whatever the age. Young offenders, even those tried as adults, are housed with other young offenders, and NOT with Adult convicts.If you do the crime, you do the time.How would you feel ,if some 13 year old wacko cut your sister up with an axe.? It not always societys fault for the way kids turn out.Each case is different, and kids have the right to a trial same as anyone. Also, just the fact that kids know they can be tried as adults, is a strong deterrant to them doing something really bad in the first place. Maybe more states ought to have a scared straight program, for first time juvenile offenders. It sends a strong message. BD51

Tougher punishment will not reduce crime at all. the vast majority of people that commit these crimes have not thought them through and did not factor in the punishment that would result. The rest of them ether think they won't get caught or simply don't care.

If people would just take care of/defend themselves and not expect someone else to do it, there would be far fewer problems. Alot more dead people, but fewer problems.

Quote Originally Posted by 'K-
    I disagree but they should be investigated if the crime is extreme. If they are found to have contributed by not acting as responsible parents then I'm not against them being charged as accomplices.
    That's a rational way of thinking of it.

Quote Originally Posted by oralpain
    Tougher punishment will not reduce crime at all. the vast majority of people that commit these crimes have not thought them through and did not factor in the punishment that would result. The rest of them ether think they won't get caught or simply don't care.

If people would just take care of/defend themselves and not expect someone else to do it, there would be far fewer problems. Alot more dead people, but fewer problems.
    I think The vast majority either think they won't get caught, or don't care.Surely, most all 13 year olds know the difference between right and wrong ,and know that murdering someone is gonna result in punishment. Take the Ms. Measles case.A 13 year old girl, raped and murdered, by 8 teenagers. They all got BETTER than they deserved, 25years to life, instead of the needle.Maybe it ought to be a law that everyone carry a 38 mag. Then, when someone attacks you, you could provide "Instant Justice".You could even be required to teach your 6 year old how to shoot to kill. After all, it's a lot easier than teaching them to be law abiding citizens, with respect for the law and others. BD51
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850