Thread: Linux setup

Problem Linux setup

I was wondering how would you go about setting up linux.
    I wanted it to be intergratable to xp and other windows.
    would the best way to partion my harddrive 160gb into 2 80's and have linux on one half and
    windows xp/2k on the other
    becuase i need windows to play games (doom 3, CS, UT 2k4)
    as i heard linux is pretty crap at it.

thx

Re: Linux setup

the bootloader recognizes your windows installation so when you boot up your system it will give you a selection screen, or you can have it boot automatically into either OS. I would let the windows partition be a little larger in size so you can fit as many games as you want on there(100/60 maybe ). What distro will you be using?

Im not sure which distro to use as of yet.
    i was going to get some live cds, and reccomendations would be helpful
    I want a basic linux that is pretty easy to get the hang of.
    ? and how many distros can u have of linux on one partion?

the easiest to get used to is either SUSE 9.1 or Mandrake 10.0. I think you can have as many distros on a partition as you want if space permits, but you will need to create atleast two partitions(one main, one swap).

Quote Originally Posted by $YN.
    how many distros can u have of linux on one partion?
    You need at least one partition for each distribution, plus a swap partition that can be common for all distributions.

I have a 200Gb drive.

All my personal data are in a second drive.

The 200Gb has only operating systems. 15Gb for XP, between 5 or 10Gb for each Linux (only Fedora Core 2 is over 5Gb in my case). Every Linux is confined to only one partition.
    There are currently 28 partitions with 16 distros, one XP and a few empty slots.

Each distro is bootable (more accurately "chainloadable") if there is a bootloader inside its partition. Whenever a new Linux is installed it will search each partition and include it as a booting choice if it finds a bootloader inside. Thus Linux will integrate everything by default.

For easy management I recommend XP to put into the first primary partition as Linux can be placed anywhere. One swap partition is enough for all the distros.

from my understanding you can do doom3 and ut2k4. CS should work too, but might be the slower of the 3. basically openGL is good...
    I know exactly how the PC works. I understand the OOO, superscalar and superpiplined designs. I just don't understand how the PC doesn't work as shown in so many cases.