Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: "Compassionate Conservative Christians" Strike Again!

My problem with it is that politicians should be asked the tough questions. I mean that on both sides of the coin. There likely won't be a debate where normal people ask the President any tough questions and any people who disagree with him don't have the ability to ask these questions at any event. I think that this runs counter to the principles of democracy. Open elections and public debate are keys to any democratic process.

Quote Originally Posted by myv65
    Don't go down this path unless you want Kerry's events covered, too. He came to my home town, Beloit, Wisconsin, population a whopping 35,000. They held a "tickets only" event in a building rated for 500 people. They gave out 1000 tickets and promised others that they would be able to get tickets "at the event".

People began assembling early for Kerry's (scheduled) mid-morning arrival. It hit over 90F that day and there were ~2000 people seeking to attend. Kerry didn't arrive until noonish, by which time some folks had already passed out in the heat. At one point their security folks instructed our local cops to move the waiting crowd to a new area, yet still wait. None of these folks ever got inside nor were they told to they wouldn't gain entry.

I do not believe this is typical of Kerry stop, but it happened here about a month ago.

I do not believe the "tickets only" policy is a bad thing, and do not hold it against Bush or Kerry. Far better than to maintain control over the event than to let things get out of hand, as they did here.

Thats about the same thing that Bush did in Charlotte NC just yesteday i believe (just on a larger scale). So, *you* "Don't go down this path unless you want" Bush's "events covered," :-P

Why are religions so evil? If the mans gay just let him be damnit, he'll go to hell and you wont unless you act so foolishly as to publicly oppose them.

Quote Originally Posted by mattst88
    Thats about the same thing that Bush did in Charlotte NC just yesteday i believe (just on a larger scale). So, *you* "Don't go down this path unless you want" Bush's "events covered," :-P
    Cover them all you wish. The original post implied that Bush was doing something wrong by having "invite only" events. Kerry does the same. As I said, I have nothing against the policy, provided they're well run.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhvball
    And which candidate for President 2004 ONLY let's republicans who sign an oath of loyalty go to their rallies? Hypocricy, the republican mantra.

Not so. The Republican rally in question was a PRIVATE function, not a public one. It was for Republican supporters. Democrats were more than welcome to protest and exercise free speech outside the rally.

It was necessary to keep the horde of those who disrupt Republican rallies at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan
    That's your right to speak out against it, but not to legislate or argue for legislation based on one interpretation of Christian morals. That is what I am arguing against, really. If you object to gay marriage for reasons that are other than religious, then I will quite willingly take up the cause and debate you in earnest. I don't agree with gay marriage either, but not for the reasons of most. That said, I think it should still be an option and that people of whatever gender should have all the same rights, but no more than any other.
    Well, remember, it is not the Christians who are protesting gay marriage that "make the laws". That is still up to the legislators. Legislators make and uphold laws which are valued by many differing groups. Why should laws that agree with Christian values be subject to any greater attack?

I am not opposed to gay ppl "being married". What any ppl choose to do in the privacy of their own lives is exactly that - their own private matter.

But once brought into the public forum, it should be held up to a standard of decency AND reason. There is no moral or logical reason for upholding a gay marriage being accepted by law.

Marriage IS an institution between a man and a woman period. Gays excepted, MOST groups in the world generally acknowledge that fact, including most major religions.

Under law, the value of upholding that definition has been to recognize the parental sacrifice of raising children, and to provide benefits for such.

IMO, as you well know, I am against gay marriage on moral grounds. In terms of "secular" society, I am also against it, because I do NOT believe gay marriage warrants the same benefits as provided to a husband and wife. We have also been through that latter statement.

Legislators make and uphold laws which are valued by many differing groups. Why should laws that agree with Christian values be subject to any greater attack?
    Coincidentally agreeing with "Christian values" and being based on them are very different things. I have no problem if something agrees with (x) religion's view; I just don't want that law's basis to be because of that religion.

I am not opposed to gay ppl "being married". What any ppl choose to do in the privacy of their own lives is exactly that - their own private matter.

But once brought into the public forum, it should be held up to a standard of decency AND reason. There is no moral or logical reason for upholding a gay marriage being accepted by law.

Marriage IS an institution between a man and a woman period. Gays excepted, MOST groups in the world generally acknowledge that fact, including most major religions.

Under law, the value of upholding that definition has been to recognize the parental sacrifice of raising children, and to provide benefits for such.

IMO, as you well know, I am against gay marriage on moral grounds. In terms of "secular" society, I am also against it, because I do NOT believe gay marriage warrants the same benefits as provided to a husband and wife. We have also been through that latter statement.
    Why shouldn't they? If two queer people love each other and want to be married, why should they not be allowed to? You're basing your opinion in your religious mindset still. "Marriage" is not just "one male/one female". Any cursory look at history or another culture proves that. What is the secular reasoning for not allowing two, adult citizens to marry of their own volition?
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

I didn't read through this whole tread, but you conservatives seem to have a hard time with the concept of separation of church and state, no matter how many times your vain attempts to Christianize our government gets stuck down by the Supreme Court.

Yes I'm not going to tolerate a government endorsed religion until we pass a constitutional amendment saying which religion(s) we should endorse. I'm sure the Wiccans don't want to be left out!
    A7N8X Dlx./2500 Barton/Bios 1007 10.5x 215mhz @2.3Ghz
    PC3200 Kingston VR 512MG, 2.5t,3,3,8 v2.7, v2.75 vcore
    Silent Boost HSF/CPU 19c+ambient@idle
    Gainward GF3 Ti200 Mk2001SE 10237 (245/500)/SB Live
    80 & 120 Gig WDse
    BenQ DW1620 DVD-R, Lite-on 52x CD-R