Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: "Compassionate Conservative Christians" Strike Again!

Nothing like the liberal left decrying someone else's right to free speech.
    Where am I decrying someone's right to free speech? My attacks are not at their boycott but the mental state that leads to such actions and beliefs as have been discussed here.

@ Orang,

Of course "gay ppl" should be "accepted", I believe I said that. However, that does not mean that a Christian accepts homosexuality as acceptable, nor that they should not speak out against such.

Paul, in his many letters to the churches, chastised and corrected the believers for accepting or participating in things which violated the Word of God. Or Christ Himself, as delievered to John to the Seven Churches in Revelations.

Yes, Christians believe in God, and accept salvation through Christ, our Saviour and Lord. And not every aspect of the Bible is literal. Jesus's many parables are not "literal", but confer a greater Truth. To say that the Bible can be subjected, though, to a view other than what it says is purely wrong.
    That's your right to speak out against it, but not to legislate or argue for legislation based on one interpretation of Christian morals. That is what I am arguing against, really. If you object to gay marriage for reasons that are other than religious, then I will quite willingly take up the cause and debate you in earnest. I don't agree with gay marriage either, but not for the reasons of most. That said, I think it should still be an option and that people of whatever gender should have all the same rights, but no more than any other.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan
    Where am I decrying someone's right to free speech? My attacks are not at their boycott but the mental state that leads to such actions and beliefs as have been discussed here.
    Oh, I see. You're not against their free expression of speech, only their thoughts. Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by deadrody
    Oh, I see. You're not against their free expression of speech, only their thoughts. Gotcha.
    I disagree with the logic and basis(es) for holding certain views.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire
    I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by deadrody
    Hey nuke. While I don't agree with the position, I do hold their right to their opinion as sacred. Free speech means ALL speech, especially speech that is not popular. Most of the left seems to have forgotten that.
    And which candidate for President 2004 ONLY let's republicans who sign an oath of loyalty go to their rallies? Hypocricy, the republican mantra.
    George W. Bush <--- Al Qaeda's #1 Recruiter

GWB - "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job!"
    On Nov. 6, 1963, Laura Welch (now Bush) ran a stop sign and murdered Michael Douglas.
    republiKan values: mark foley, tom delay, jack abramoff, john rowland, duke cunningham, david safavian, bob taft, brent wilkes, james tobin, scooter libby and ernie fletcher. Poster CRIMINALS and PEDOPHILES of the repug party.
    The only two things you ever need to know about GWB:
    "The most important thing is for us to find Osama Bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him." - George W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I don't know where he is. I have no idea, and I really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - George W. Bush, 3/13/02

Ugh. My mom is one of them thats boycotting proctor and gamble. Among other things. She tries to avoid buying disney products because disney world has like national gay day or something...she boycotted mcdonalds for a while there for somet stupid thing...i think they sponsored some gay event or something. Psh. who knows. She really bugs me doing this boycotting crap. forwards me emails telling me i should boycott this or that too...bc of something gay. She evidently doesnt realize or mayb e just doesnt choose to acknowledge that I support gays. I mean, you will never see me marching in a gay rights parade or wearing a t shirt of that sort, but i do believe they have as much rights as anyone else. I have some gay friends who are great people. Beisides, what is boycotting supposed to do? Teach them a lesson?? OMG>...dude..these ppl wont buy procotr and gamble stuff bc they support us..and they say being gay is wrong! Holy crap..did you know about this??? no dude!! we better turn straight right now!!! I hate extremists of any party. its like..get over it!! ~Heather
    no longer pregnant. Miscarried on 3/26

Quote Originally Posted by jrhvball
    And which candidate for President 2004 ONLY let's republicans who sign an oath of loyalty go to their rallies? Hypocricy, the republican mantra.
    What in the hell are you talking about????

I think he's talking about how the people who attend the Bush rallies around the country are hand picked. Not sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by afalzone
    I think he's talking about how the people who attend the Bush rallies around the country are hand picked. Not sure though.
    Correct..you have to have a ticket and sign a loyalty oath to attend a GWB rally, campaign speech.

On Nov. 6, 1963, Laura Welch (now Bush) ran a stop sign and murdered Michael Douglas.
    republiKan values: mark foley, tom delay, jack abramoff, john rowland, duke cunningham, david safavian, bob taft, brent wilkes, james tobin, scooter libby and ernie fletcher. Poster CRIMINALS and PEDOPHILES of the repug party.
    "The most important thing is for us to find Osama Bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him." - George W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I don't know where he is. I have no idea, and I really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - George W. Bush, 3/13/02

You keep referring to this as if Democrats never do it. Do you not remember just a few months ago when the conservatives were complaining about the caucuses? Democrats injected their rallys with loyal supporters in exactly the same manner.

This little arguement is the same thing both ways around. Sure you don't really like it, nor do I. But that is what happens.

On another note; In some ways it is good. Some very extreme liberals like to do some very extreme things from time to time. Like the GOP convention a group of liberals went in to watch the show where there only intent was on ruining it for everybody. (whistles, running around causing as many problems as they can) Or Laura Bush's speech where a lady goes in with a t-shit "Bush killed my Son" and trys to ruin the event. I guess I can't think of any Democratic demonstrations where Republicans go out and try to ruin it for the Dems. So I will use this one to give you some meat, sometimes some crazy conservative people go and burn down abortion clinics. If you can think of an event where conservatives run around inside the rally doors causing a rukus and trying to ruin it for everybody, let me know.. I know there has to be atleast 'one'. I can think of a lot the other way around, those 2 happened just in the past month alone. It kind of seems like everybody has the right to organize or demonstrate as long as you are liberal. Otherwise you must be shut up and/or be eliminated.
    http://dustsmoke.com/images/dustsmoke_logo.gif

Correct..you have to have a ticket and sign a loyalty oath to attend a GWB rally, campaign speech.

I didn't even know this.

So Bush isn't for the whole of American public, just his supporters? Hmmm.

BUT BUSH IS A TOUGH LEADER WHO LAUGHS IN THE FACE OF TERRORIST!!! GO AMERICA! GO FREEDOM! GO BUSH! ANYONE WHO DOESN'T SUPPORT THE PRESIDENT OR THE WAR IS UNAMERICAN, UNPATRIOTIC AND SHOULD BE HUNG! BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO DEFEND OUR FREEDOM!!!11

Quote Originally Posted by lynch03
    I didn't even know this.

So Bush isn't for the whole of American public, just his supporters? Hmmm.

BUT BUSH IS A TOUGH LEADER WHO LAUGHS IN THE FACE OF TERRORIST!!! GO AMERICA! GO FREEDOM! GO BUSH! ANYONE WHO DOESN'T SUPPORT THE PRESIDENT OR THE WAR IS UNAMERICAN, UNPATRIOTIC AND SHOULD BE HUNG! BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO DEFEND OUR FREEDOM!!!11
    Visit the following link for more info: http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...t=loyalty+oath

LOL don't use that gay toothpaste or wash your clothes with any of that gay laundry detergent!

Heatware: Sabrewulf165 62-0-0

Quote Originally Posted by lynch03

I agree with your point there. I can't stand that attitude by some conservatives. It has been something that has been edging me every time I hear it. Aknowledging our differences is where true patriotism comes from. And allowing each other to have our differences makes us who we are. The idea that not everybody believes in the same thing is what makes America 'America'. This country was founded on the idea that not everybody has to believe the same thing.

(But that doesn't mean we both can't argue about it right? )
    http://dustsmoke.com/images/dustsmoke_logo.gif

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal
    I dont think conservative Christians have a lock on intolerance. I believe both extremes are irritating.

http://www.canyon-news.com/artman/pu...ticle_1804.php

well it did go against seperation of church and state( dont like it ? change the law), christians can hang crosses in their homes as i do. not try to shove them in the face of those who do not wish to see them imho

edit: Im speaking from experience as my state just replaced the state flag because it offended a certain individuals which im ok with. guess that is really being a liberal!
    Last edited by t1866; 09-17-2004 at 08:50 PM. Reason: additional comment

Don't go down this path unless you want Kerry's events covered, too. He came to my home town, Beloit, Wisconsin, population a whopping 35,000. They held a "tickets only" event in a building rated for 500 people. They gave out 1000 tickets and promised others that they would be able to get tickets "at the event".

People began assembling early for Kerry's (scheduled) mid-morning arrival. It hit over 90F that day and there were ~2000 people seeking to attend. Kerry didn't arrive until noonish, by which time some folks had already passed out in the heat. At one point their security folks instructed our local cops to move the waiting crowd to a new area, yet still wait. None of these folks ever got inside nor were they told to they wouldn't gain entry.

I do not believe this is typical of Kerry stop, but it happened here about a month ago.

I do not believe the "tickets only" policy is a bad thing, and do not hold it against Bush or Kerry. Far better than to maintain control over the event than to let things get out of hand, as they did here.