Another MS bs idea

Read it @ http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20040916.html
    Something to look forward to.More hardware problems.

Re: Another MS bs idea

Very interesting post. I'm just glad to know that there are many smart young individuals out there for every Bill Gates. That's why I'm trying to go with Linux right now.
    It's just a pity I'm no longer one of the smart young individuals - I'm one of the 30 somethings that Gates frequently exploits.

So they make this, but will they get all vendors to adhere to it? I mean MS tried to do this same thing with SenderID so Linux software would have to pay a royalty on it and that got shot down. I hope the same thing happens here.

It wont play out, they are dreaming..

Anyway that is very obvious monoplizing. Microsoft is already under a microscope in those matters.

At least you have to give Microsoft the fact they are determined to kill Linux, but I doubt very seriously this will fly. And now M$ intends to make older USB devices read-only with Longhorn? I'm sure I won't be the only one pissed off if that happens. Keyboards, mice, sending pics to digicam, USB hard drives,etc. will all fail to work in that scenario.

What - and they think the linux peeps won't write drivers and get this stuff working within a month. Geez - haven't they recognised the power of open source yet

Quote Originally Posted by scrandman
    Very interesting post. I'm just glad to know that there are many smart young individuals out there for every Bill Gates. That's why I'm trying to go with Linux right now.
    It's just a pity I'm no longer one of the smart young individuals - I'm one of the 30 somethings that Gates frequently exploits.
    Hey scrandman - I'm a thirtysomething too and was when I started learning linux/UNIX. Took me about a month to realise the true power and potential of this OS and about 6 months to be fully up to speed. After a year I had the confidence to make the switch on most of my systems (there are, unfortunately, some things that I still require windows to do) and I've never looked back

Stick with it - you won't regret it

Ned

It will be worth keeping an eye on.

I think it will end up just like NTFS...some coders will reverse engineer it, and linux will have compatibility with the new USB standard. They should realistically not be allowed to do that though, it is definitely pushing the monopoly issue.

Either way, it should be interesting to see what develops out of this...