Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

is there such a thing as a socket a/socket 754/939 combo motherboard

did i dream of seeing an article on such a mobo on the inquirer.net or what?

if it does exist are they for sale yet?
    are they any good?
    got any links?

i think it was asrock or some other minor mobo maker that was gonna make a upgradeable motherboard that you could use socket a cpu in it or upgrade to a 754 or 939 pin cpu .

i think 2 different companies were /are making something like this.

one had 2 different sockets and the other had a daughter card you could plug in to upgrade from the standard socket a to a 754 or 939 pin cpu
    Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 with 8 GB Corsair Vengence CMZ8GX3M2A1
    PHENOM II 4 CORE 955 Black Edition cooled by Antec-Kuhler 920 Watercooler
    RADEON HD 6870 lighting up; LG 34" & Acer 23" monitors plus 60"LED
    ANTEC EarthPower 750W psu, Creative SB X-FI Extreme Music

Re: is there such a thing as a socket a/socket 754/939 combo motherboard

There is one asrock mobo with a socket 754 and socket 939 on it. But the chipset itself is probably so bad that it's slower than a regular skt 754/939. Plus let's not forget the mobo name "asrock" is as famous as ECS, i.e. crap noname motherboard.

Spreading HD-DVD one signature at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by cgk123

are they any good?
    got any links?

i think it was asrock or some other minor mobo maker that was gonna make a upgradeable motherboard that you could use socket a cpu in it or upgrade to a 754 or 939 pin cpu .

one had 2 different sockets and the other had a daughter card you could plug in to upgrade from the standard socket a to a 754 or 939 pin cpu
    http://www.ocworkbench.com/2004/asro...e-760gx/g1.htm
    Crager

Question Re: is there such a thing as a socket a/socket 754/939 combo motherboard

Hey there,

So let me get this strait; you give up your AGP slot for an upgraded CPU, dual channel DDR 400
    and integrated graphics ?
    Maybe I am missing something but didn't the slot -> socket
    (key adapters) for the P3s educate us? I know the AGP runs at 66Mhz but still. The CPU,
    RAM, AND GRAPHICS (even though it's garbage) is still alot. Maybe I am wrong, but most of
    the time the performance you gained is negligable to the distance the CPU and all the stuff
    has to go to do it's work. Hmmm, I would have to see some major benchies to say yay on this
    one.

Slade

Take time to do the important things
    today since you may not get a
    tomorrow.

Anytime you give your $0.02 you better have a qtr
    to back it up.

yea,that mobo combo will do.id have it for a curiosity lol

Quote Originally Posted by cgk123

are they any good?
    got any links?

Asrock's website shows a socket A to socket 754 board here and a socket 754 to socket 939 board here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sladeiix980
    Hey there,

So let me get this strait; you give up your AGP slot for an upgraded CPU, dual channel DDR 400
    and integrated graphics ?
    Maybe I am missing something but didn't the slot -> socket
    (key adapters) for the P3s educate us? I know the AGP runs at 66Mhz but still. The CPU,
    RAM, AND GRAPHICS (even though it's garbage) is still alot. Maybe I am wrong, but most of
    the time the performance you gained is negligable to the distance the CPU and all the stuff
    has to go to do it's work. Hmmm, I would have to see some major benchies to say yay on this
    one.

Slade
    From the picture on Asrock's website, here, you don't have to give up the AGP slot because the components on the upgrade board are on the opposite side (compared to usual, that is).

Quote Originally Posted by MustangSVT
    There is one asrock mobo with a socket 754 and socket 939 on it. But the chipset itself is probably so bad that it's slower than a regular skt 754/939. Plus let's not forget the mobo name "asrock" is as famous as ECS, i.e. crap noname motherboard.
    Asrock is a subsidiary of Asus. Email from Asrock tech support originates on Asus' domain. The s754 to s939 board uses an SiS 760/964 chipset. The two boards I have with the 755/964 have been problem free.

Even after saying this, I would not buy a board that would support two physically different processors. Boards are cheap enough that when upgrading processors, I would buy a new board and still have the old one to either use or sell.

My son has a asrock p4 mobo and i thought the same thing about the name-over a year ago and it has done well but i don`t know about the mobo in question as the concept of it is odd.
    a7n8x-d2.8.msi 5900 and diamond 7.1 sound using digital out.1g xms 3200c2 mem, liteon dvd burner. Been using ubuntu-no windiz.

It might be worth the $77 to try it out. It's a step in the right direction if it works, allowing a decent amount of upgrade on a single board. BD51
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

If you're an end-user like 99% of us, it might behooooooooove ye to buy an extended warranty from the reseller if you had taken a look at the mfg. support. Not the same kind of support as Asus.

I would love to have one to tinker with, though, just because.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

Quote Originally Posted by notdrugged
    If you're an end-user like 99% of us, it might behooooooooove ye to buy an extended warranty from the reseller if you had taken a look at the mfg. support. Not the same kind of support as Asus.

I would love to have one to tinker with, though, just because.
    So far I have gotten a quicker response from Asrock tech support than from Asus (as an enduser). OTOH, one of my main suppliers is Amax Engineering (wholesale) and they pretty much have a direct connection with Asus so I can usually connect to someone at Asus quickly for work related issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Willie
    So far I have gotten a quicker response from Asrock tech support than from Asus (as an enduser). OTOH, one of my main suppliers is Amax Engineering (wholesale) and they pretty much have a direct connection with Asus so I can usually connect to someone at Asus quickly for work related issues.
    Check out Asrock's RMA policy for end users.

http://www.asrockamerica.com/enduser%20support.htm

$35 plus shipping for RMA repair, no warranty period expressed.
    So just be sure your reseller has a decent return policy for the individual mobo. Newegg= One year unless otherwise noted. So it might more behooooove ye to not buy one of these from Spanky Joe's Damaged goods. LOL.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

Quote Originally Posted by notdrugged
    Check out Asrock's RMA policy for end users.

http://www.asrockamerica.com/enduser%20support.htm

$35 plus shipping for RMA repair, no warranty period expressed.
    So just be sure your reseller has a decent return policy for the individual mobo. Newegg= One year unless otherwise noted. So it might more behooooove ye to not buy one of these from Spanky Joe's Damaged goods. LOL.
    The only place I would consider buying 2nd tier boards from would be Newegg. Their RMA service is excellent (and fast).