Help-lan, Switch Troubleshooting

I have an LAN of 4 . It works. We share files , printers and the DSL Internet. Cables are all Selfmade . We play an online game and they can all play . When we play LAN/IPX .The ICS machine cannot play. This because Windows wont let me install NETBEUI/IPX on the ICS machine. The DSL modem drivers will not let that protocol be added. The ICS machine can only use TCP/IP.
    Would like to Play and Host a game online and join that server with my other machines.. But when one of my machines Host online ... the others i have cannot join that room..because of IP probs ... This can be done , others do it.

Could someone shed some light on this ?

Thanks, TGM
    Last edited by HomeBody; 09-20-2004 at 07:07 PM.

Re: Help-lan, Switch Troubleshooting

IPX/SPX isn't directly routable over the internet, and broadband providers will only support tcp/ip connections. ( In order to server over the internet you need to setup the game server via tcp/ip.)

Bryan,
    I know that the internet uses TCP/IP ....
    And my lan can use that too...

The problem is .. when i set the game (any pc on my lan) to serve on the internet ...
    Then none of my pc's can join that server.
    I cant seem to hookup with the guy that does do this ...

He uses a SWITCH . and he has 3 pcs. he can put one to serving the game online.
    Then he can join that game online with any of his other pc's.. I know i can do it another way.
    but i'm interested in why he can do it this way , and i cant seem to make mine do it ...
    Plus, the other way of doing it is way to exspensive.

Thanks ....

The switched network doesn't have NAT. ( If its a router he's port forwarded to the internal server.)

Have you tried by joining the local ip addres of the game server?

The local Ip of the server .... the game wont let me do that.

The actual game server is online 24/7 . when i set a PC to Host . It does it thru the game server. I can set each one of my PC's to Host thru that server. Or i can set just one to Host thru it. When i do this then the rest of my PC's cannot join that Host. However the rest of them can still play the game online. They just cant join the game that my PC is hosting. It
    has something to do with the Game server seeing only one IP . I'm beginning to think that this other guy doesnt know what he is talking about or he is just messing with me. Its just
    a puzzle that i would like to put together. I have 4 PC's that can play the game , but with no IPX on the ICS machine , we cant play all 4 on LAN. If i could get one to Host online and the rest of them could join that host , then i would have all 4 at once ... However , if someone else online is hosting , then all 4 of mine can join that host , but then there are 5
    PC's playing the game , and i dont have control of the host.