how do I remove the heat sink?

I have a stupid question how do I remove the heatsink so that I can install a new processor?
    I looked on google but couldn't find anything.

Re: how do I remove the heat sink?

right... you couldnt find a guide that tells you to "unclip" a socket-a heatsink... *cough* sticky *cough*

Talking Re: how do I remove the heat sink?

Who put the heatsink on for you? If you did, it's simply the reverse. Just be careful your tool (typically a screwdriver) doesn't slip or else you'll be changing your mobo and maybe some memory also.
    Rig#1
    ASUS A8N32 SLI deluxe bios 1009; X2 3800; 2gb OCZ platinum PC3200; Thermalright XP120 with panaflo; MSI 6600GT x 2 in sli; Samsung SATA 200GB x 3; Benq 1640; LG 4163; XP pro w/sp2; Enermax 600w; Lian Li PC65

Rig#2 (Still going, but getting grey in the tooth)
    DFI LP NF2 Ultra B; XP 2500+ Barton
    Thermalright SLK 800;1gb Buffalo PC3200
    Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro
    Seagate 200gb; Samsung 120gb
    BENQ 1620
    TT Purepower 560w; XP pro sp2
    LianLi PC65

My Heat: www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=15077

Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Ok, so I just use a screwdriver to push the clip up?

Quote Originally Posted by yacinator
    Ok, so I just use a screwdriver to push the clip up?
    Well, sort of, you push down and out to remove it from the socket like in this picture:

Here is another series of pics. Unfortunately, they are for installing, but the process is the same. You push down on the clip where there is a small ledge. Then 'bend' the clip out to allow it to disengage the Ziff socket. Be careful not to tilt the heatsink as the CPU can become cracked on the top and it will be history.

The trick is to use steady pressure, hold the heatsink down and don't force things. After awhile, you will be a pro!
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

Also, as shown in the picture remove your RAM first otherwise a slip may ruin it.

I always use a "coaster" CD to protect my mobo when I'm doing this just in case I get a shakey hand and the screwdriver slips.

Quote Originally Posted by scrandman
    Also, as shown in the picture remove your RAM first otherwise a slip may ruin it.

I always use a "coaster" CD to protect my mobo when I'm doing this just in case I get a shakey hand and the screwdriver slips.
    Me too! If you can slip it ontop of the mobo and underneath the power supply, it's a very good trick.

I should mention, I use a pair of locking needle nose pliers if at all possible. I've found it to be by far the safest.

Spoiler!

It's scary when your screwdriver isn't tapered enough. You can feel it trying to pop out of the clip and stab your motherboard. If you have a perfectly sized screwdriver it's easier and safer. I found a $2 screwdriver at Ace Hardware that's the perfect size and shape and it even has little horizontal ridges along the tip so it grips better. It never slips.

lol ive heard some stories of ppl killing there mobo with a screwdriver, didnt know it would mess up the memory too. Ill have to do that coaster cd trick, sound slike it will work well, better safe than sorry

Quote Originally Posted by AMDeR4000
    lol ive heard some stories of ppl killing there mobo with a screwdriver, didnt know it would mess up the memory too. Ill have to do that coaster cd trick, sound slike it will work well, better safe than sorry
    Fortunately I've never had the "pleasure" of seeing if the CD trick actually works, but it just feels so much safer with something between the screwdriver and the mobo

Quote Originally Posted by AMDeR4000
    It'll only mess up the memory if the RAM is in "range" of a mis hit screwdriver. Usually, you only have to worry about your motherboard, which is why getting a screwdriver that fits well, and having a bit of protection for your mobo is a good idea.