Question Camera filters.....are they worth it?

Hey there,

I just purchased a new digital camera and I am looking at doing the advanced novice thing.
    Do the filters these camera places sell really make a difference? IE: UV, Polarized, Flourescent.
    I want pics that aren't faded (IE: look like clothes without the clorox).Anybody got some
    experience here? I always took them and edited in adobe PS. However, I want to begin with
    a good product. Let me know what you think.

Slade

Take time to do the important things
    today since you may not get a
    tomorrow.

Anytime you give your $0.02 you better have a qtr
    to back it up.

Re: Camera filters.....are they worth it?

Might wanna PM Arvig on this as hes a photographer I believe...I haven't seen him post lately though.
    Heatware- |BTurner|
    Ebay- Fasster

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."-Judge Aaron Satie

Different filters give different effects. You may want to go ahead and pop a UV filter on it just to protect the lens, since filters are generally a lot cheaper to replace if scratched.

Neutral Density filters (ND#) are good for getting longer exposures in bright settings. If you have seen pictures of a flowing stream where the water is blurred because of the motion, yet the rest of the picture is well exposed and in focus, then you have seen the effects of a ND filter.

And, since you are just starting out, you don't NEED to buy the really expensive filters, or stick to the expensive filters that are sometimes marketed by the camera maker. Find a good camera shop and you can usually find filters in the $12-$20 range for the standard filters.
    AMD AthlonXP 3000 (Barton) @ 2.3GHz
    ASUS A7N8X-E Dlx 1.08 w/ 1024 RAM
    Memorex DVD-R/W, DVD-ROM
    80 GB & 160 GB SATA & 120 GB PATA Hard drives
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Samsung 19" Monitor 955DF

I bought my Hoya HMC filter for my Panasonic DMC FZ-10 from The Filter Connection. I was very pleased with their service. The nice thing about the filter is that is protects the lens, as mentioned above. For a starter, I'd just get a UV filter. My filter was like $20, whereas to replace the lens I would pay ~$250 (usually half the camera price). I also bought a PD-62 62mm adapter for my camera since you can get vignetting with the 72 mm original lens hood, plus 62mm filters and whatnot are cheaper. I would highly recommend the site above for this type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sladeiix980
    Hey there,

I just purchased a new digital camera and I am looking at doing the advanced novice thing.
    Do the filters these camera places sell really make a difference? IE: UV, Polarized, Flourescent.
    I want pics that aren't faded (IE: look like clothes without the clorox).Anybody got some
    experience here? I always took them and edited in adobe PS. However, I want to begin with
    a good product. Let me know what you think.

Slade
    Absolutly!! I use them for not damaging my (expensive) lenses

Sparks
    Asus R5E, Intel Core i7 5960X
    Cascade cooling (-94C @550W)
    G.Skill DDR4 3600C15@4266MHz cas12 Nvidia GTX730, Samsung 850 Evo/OCZ Vertex 4
    and Seasonic Platinum 1200Wi, Dell Ultrasharp U2711 and 20-50 more systems...

Smile Re: Camera filters.....are they worth it?

Hey there,

Well, I found a set of 3 filters (Neutal Density, UV, and Flourescent) for $30. It's not
    name brand but hey it doesn't have to be to give good images. If the wife is convinced
    it is good then I might get it. I already grabbed a camera and SD 256MB memory from Newegg.
    I agree though a basic filter would be good to have.
    Thanks for the inputs.

Slade

Take time to do the important things
    today since you may not get a
    tomorrow.

Anytime you give your $0.02 you better have a qtr
    to back it up.

If i didnt recall wasnt there a lense for video cameras for tv screens to prevent the flickering we see i forgot the name of it!

Max O/C: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU: 3.6 Ghz/1.5875v//nVidia 7900GS XT GPU: 600/830