3000 Athlon XP 64
    nVidia GeForce 6600GT
    1024MB 3200 Crucial DDR 3200
    Liteon 411s DVD/CDR Burner
    MSI 8x DVD-ROM
    21" KDS Visual Sensations
    Logitec Wireless Optical Mouse/KB

Re: Good point made by the Inquirer...

interesting article. but i dont understand where they got the idea that amd is gonna make a 3ghz fx b4 the year ends? are they just predicting that or did amd announce it as one of their goals?

They're not announcing that. They're saying AMD NEEDS to do that in order to keep the performance crown from going back to Intel. And I agree. AMD does release upgrades far too slowly to keep the crown from Intel for very long. They need to do like in the VERY early days of the K7 Athlon, and release them chips fast as lightning. Seemed every other week they released another chip that went just a bit faster. If AMD went back to doing that, rather than their current waiting for Intel to release a faster one, thus forcing them to release it, I agree with the inquirer that it would help keep them as fastest for longer, since Intel would be forced to release stuff faster than they wanted, and you'd end up with them having another P3 1.13 fiasco, releasing stuff before it's actually ready and still having flaws in it.

I agree with a lot of points made here. AMD needs to keep it moving while they have the chance. I really fear Intel releasing a Pentium 5 before AMD does something else big.

... and the marketing sucks.

The Athlon64's have the performance crown, and there are no commercials celebrating that!!!

Damn, when will AMD learn that they have to get their name out in the public's eye???
    Widows XP Pro

VNF4 Ultra ZENITH
    3000 Athlon XP 64
    nVidia GeForce 6600GT
    MSI 8x DVD-ROM

in europe,u wont see much comercials about porsche..but still,the legend and passion exists.

Yeah, but I dont think that Porsche had to overcome the image of being a Yugo, ya know?
    Widows XP Pro

VNF4 Ultra ZENITH
    3000 Athlon XP 64
    nVidia GeForce 6600GT
    MSI 8x DVD-ROM

for amd thats a long time ago
    congrats on 700th

I also agree with that article. I've been holding on buying a new proc until AMD releases an 3.0Ghz proc.

They have to be able to ramp...

They outta max those pigs out, and have dual proc's out ASAP - as far ahead of Intel as possible. Just to show that they can.
    Widows XP Pro

VNF4 Ultra ZENITH
    3000 Athlon XP 64
    nVidia GeForce 6600GT
    MSI 8x DVD-ROM

I'm sorry, but that article's response to the Inq's original post seemed a bit edgey, as if he knew everything that was going on. I'm all about being cynical, but I believe that the Inq was trying to say "don't make the same mistake twice", and not "pull a rabbit out of your hat"

My 2cents
    Widows XP Pro

VNF4 Ultra ZENITH
    3000 Athlon XP 64
    nVidia GeForce 6600GT
    MSI 8x DVD-ROM

Meh, the Inquirer article seems, IMO, full of shit. AMD doesn't have a price edge any more? Last time I checked they had substantially lower prices than Intel.....in their mid- and upper mid-range chips. You know, the chips that 95+% of the market buys. Where does the Inquirer get the impression that AMD is just sitting on their ass while Intel works long hours in R&D? I think we ALL know both companies are going at it as fiercely as, well, any two closely competing companies in an oligopoly market.

But of course the whole things begs the question, so what if they aren't working at research as fast as they were in the 90's-00's? Does the market really need a much faster chip? Aren't we fast approaching the point where processor speed is practically irrelevent to system speed? With a decent-to-fast chip, is a few more MHZ gonna help more than a faster bus, better MB, more/faster memory or even a quicker and smaller OS? There is only so much AMD (or Intel for that matter) can do at this point. Spending vast resources to flood the market with chips most people don't need and can't afford, for the dubious title of 'King of Speed' is NOT the way to keep your precarious hold on market share.

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women"

Id like to see AMD put the smack down, wouldnt you?

Besides processor speed is only one aspect of a processor, and isn't always going to lead to higher performance.