Thumbs up Re: Compiling Boinc on Linux - Discussion thread

Thanks Ned!

Re: Compiling Boinc on Linux - Discussion thread

No problem.

On to the seti client next then

Ned

Ned,

I have tried several linux OS's. mandrake,xandros,mepis and a lot of live cd's. I really have not had the time to play with them enough. I have a lot to learn. I did have Boinc running on mepis. It was really slow. Seems like all the free iso's for 64's are mostly live distros. I really like them. Windows is going down a path that seems they want to take over your pc. I still won't use sp2. I don't need to be told when to update and, I can take care of security myself. I turn off everything I can. I hate all their crap running in the back ground. I'm sure I'll will be pushed to go all linux soon. I guess I should do a dual boot again and start learning again. What distro do you like best and why?

Skip

Hi, I've just recently join myself to SETI@home, and therefore to BOINC.
    And well, only for fun I was wondering if I would be able to compile myself the boinc and set clients to try to get a bit more from my linux box

So, let's start my experience

My box is a AMD Duron(tm) Processor 1200Mhz, 64Kb cache and 512 RAM. I mean, is a quite cheap box I got some years ago.
    My OS is a Fedora Core 4 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
    gcc-4.0.2-8.fc4
    libgcc-4.0.2-8.fc4
    libstdc++-4.0.2-8.fc4
    libstdc++-devel-4.0.2-8.fc4

I got the BOINC CVS public built of 12th December 2005

And , here started my little nightmare.

I got the BOINC source, and using the ./configure command I was getting the missing packages in my system, mainly "devel" stuff (libjpeg-devel, x11-xx-devel, glut-devel, etc, etc) I was installting all the stuff needed, this job took me a couple of hours.

BUT, the first problem came with the curl libraries, was required the 7.13.2 as minimum, but the rpm builts I found that I can easily install in my fedora core were 7.13.1 !!!!! . I though to play a bit with the configure, but seeing I have more problems , finally I took the decission to get the source code of the libcurl, and compile it.
    I compile it directly (without any speficic option, using only the configure) and place it in the default /usr/local

The second problem was the krb5 and openssl, in the compilation phase, I got an annoying compilation error saying the reference to "valid_cksumtype" was not found. Seems some annoying problem related to static VS dinamyc problems. I'll no go into details, only say I got the openssl and compile it again in my box, to avoid collisions with my rpm installation I left the make install will place the bits under /usr/local

The third problem was the wxWidgets, seems the BOINC in the configure tries to use the wx-config --static .... to check the wxWidgets avaiable, but the platform wx-config --static is not available using the rpm I found over there. So... let's compile. here, in the compilation I had to provide some options to say not to build shared libraries, do it monolithc, not to use unicode and make debug info available. So, once again I compiled and installed it in the /usr/local

With all this info I then configured the boinc in this way
    [root@outeiro bin]# ./configure --disable-server --disable-debug --disable-client-release --with-libcurl=/usr/local/bin --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl/lib --with-wx-config=/usr/local/bin/wx-config --prefix=/usr/local/boinc

Of course, previously to execute configure I placed did
    [root@outeiro bin]# export CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -fforce-addr -ffast-math -ftracer"
    [root@outeiro bin]# export CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS

As recommended here in http://www.pperry.f2s.com/boinc-compile.htm (Thanks Ned by your job)

And., well, please note , the binaries resulting are not exactly the same than in the binary package, the boinc is now boinc_client, the boincmgr is now boinc_gui... however I handled all my current job into /usr/local/boinc/bin so I don't loose the WU I was working with.

Initally my results were:
    Measured floating point speed 576.76 million ops/sec
    Measured integer speed 977.81 million ops/sec

And now
    Measured floating point speed 833.23 million ops/sec
    Measured integer speed 1548.04 million ops/sec

I think is a nice improvement. By the moment I'm satisfied, but I know I can squeeze a bit more these results)

At this same moment all seems running fine , so..... LET's GO NOW for the SETI@HOME optimization!!! ;-).
    But Ned pointed rigthly that perhaps the effort will not be worth, perhaps the objective is to optimize shared libraries.... this will be more challenging..

Well, that's all, it was funny but is now close to 04:00 am and I think I have to get some sleep

I've just realized that I used athlon.xp march option, when I had to use athlon only as I have a Duron chip.
    So, let's run again changing athlon-xp by athlon and let's see:

now
    842 for integers
    1519 for real

so... nothing relevant.. seems a little increase in integers and a little decrease in real numbers.

Sorry can't help here. Welcome to SETI
    Maybe a little help from the masters bump!

Hi sisovich,

Welcome to PC Perspective

My page is well out of date I'm affraid. The general info contained in the tutorials should get you started, but we've since made great improvements - particularly with the SETI client. Most of the improvements came from using optimized maths libs for FFT calculations (FFTW3 on AMD and IPP on Intel) and changes to the source code for caching recently used trig functions (Hans Dorn).

This has now evolved into a community effort. For the latest developments, check out Harold Naparst's site (he maintains the latest optimized source plus Intel binaries) and Crunch3r's site (optimized AMD binaries):

http://naparst.name/

http://www.guntec.de/Crunch3r/index.html

Regards,

Ned

Well, once I recompiled the BOIN I started to checlk about the SETI and I saw in the forums a lot of job was already done (as you say, the fftw3 libraries.)

By now I guess the BOINC client is done.... so this thread is , more or less ended, so I'll continue my job in the other fourm for the SETI client.