Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Certificates

Re: Certificates

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier
    Hey Britgeezer, I'd recommand downloading Knoppix and give that a try. It doesn't require installing as it boots and runs right off of the CD. If it goes well, and you don't appear to have any major hardware issues, then I'd d/l either Mandrake 10 or the latest Fadora Core and try installing one of them. I wouldn't recommend using Knoppix for runing FaD seeing as Knoppix doesn't use your hard drive. So if you have a blip in your power, you would loose all your FaD work.

If you have any questions, there's a good group over at our Linux OS forum.

I'm gonna be trying the same thing.
    If it works (meaning I can figure it out) then I'll be switching 4 others from win2K to linux.

Errrmmm,

Spent 5 mins checking Linux links out

1) they assume I know things I don't

2) the links always say "buy" thought it was free ....

Guess I need to checkout the forum .... but its looks, well complicated. Much like my first view of DOS (spits out the word) .. but after a while I did understand "syntex" error
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 10-27-2004 at 12:43 AM.
    the Britgeezer

My Heat otherwise a smoke free home

In case you were having trouble finding the actual FTP sites here they are:

Knoppix: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html
    You'll want to click on one of the mirrors listed there, and then accept the agreement if you're asked, and then download one of the ISO files. Either KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-17-EN.iso or KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso (the later one is the newest).

Mandrake: http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3
    Click on the button beside I'm already a member of the Club or plan on registering soon to access the FTP site the look under the heading "Mandrakelinux 10.1 Community ISO images for i586 and higher" for the links to mirrors that have the current version. The files you want to download are Mandrakelinux-10.1-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso, Mandrakelinux-10.1-Community-Download-CD2.i586.iso, and Mandrakelinux-10.1-Community-Download-CD3.i586.iso.

These aren't the 64bit versions. If you want them, check out the Linux forum as I haven't downloaded that version.

In case you were having trouble finding the actual FTP sites here they are:

Knoppix: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html
    You'll want to click on one of the mirrors listed there, and then accept the agreement if you're asked, and then download one of the ISO files. Either KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-17-EN.iso or KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso (the later one is the newest).

Mandrake: http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3
    Click on the button beside I'm already a member of the Club or plan on registering soon to access the FTP site the look under the heading "Mandrakelinux 10.1 Community ISO images for i586 and higher" for the links to mirrors that have the current version. The files you want to download are Mandrakelinux-10.1-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso, Mandrakelinux-10.1-Community-Download-CD2.i586.iso, and Mandrakelinux-10.1-Community-Download-CD3.i586.iso.

These aren't the 64bit versions. If you want them, check out the Linux forum as I haven't downloaded that version.

Thanks .. looks like W/E or Taz did it adventure
    the Britgeezer

Not to dispute one of the Linux Gurus around here, but, if you like Knoppix, you can install it to a hard-drive and use it if you prefer. It does ask a few questions, but the install is pretty much along the knowledge level of Mandrake 10 that SP is fond of. If you do wish to do this, the only quick suggestion I have is use a hard-drive by itself in your computer and install Linux. After, I am sure there are enough around here that can get you dual-booting Linux and Window$ in no time. If the hard-drive you use can be completely erased and formatted, I think you will be able to get Linux working with a few less hassles. (Read not being able to boot back in to Window$, or losing any and all info from a wrong choice.) If Knoppix works for you, and wish to try it first, just post something and I can teel you how to install it on a hard-drive, but like SP says, it is actually the best to start with, because it does not install, and when you are done, you just take the CD out and can resume whatever was on there before. In other words, it is a don't leave home without it tech CD.

Oh, and by the way, it is Fedora Core, not FaDora Core SP!

This is my distro of choice, but, Linux is all about choice. You get what you are comfortable with and design it the way you want. I liked it because I could get my ATI video card set up for 3D acceleration quickly since I also challenge my mind (Read games) on my Linux box.

Here is a link to it http://fedora.redhat.com/download/
    Last edited by weloman; 10-27-2004 at 06:31 AM.

OK I am downloading the ISO file image, did I need the text data files on the server under the ISO image files. Next I will burn the image to a CD.

Then I boot to the CD right?

Sorry to so dumb on this aspect.
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 10-27-2004 at 08:32 AM.
    the Britgeezer

You don't need those other files. One is a checksum that you can use to verify that you downloaded the CD correctly. To be honest, I've never used them but it is recommended to use them if you are using the computer in a production environment where you want a guarantee that everything is right.

Without checking, I think the other file would be either a mini help file or a list of all of the packages that is included on the ISO image.

Now when you go to burn the CD, make sure you burn the ISO image to the CD, do not copy the ISO to the CD. You can check this by browsing the CD in Windows afterwards. If it consists of only the ISO file, then you did it wrong. But if it contains several files and directories, then it worked. I think there is a stick on this in the Linux forum.
    Last edited by Spankin Partier; 10-27-2004 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by weloman
    Oh, and by the way, it is Fedora Core, not FaDora Core SP!
    Sorry, English is my second language, Visual BASIC being my first!

Whoa. I almost posted today as Monday again

Wednesday's Barbaric Milestones:

Ugly Girl, 6 Million Molecules, 25 Thousand Hits
    gfrag88, 25 Thousand Points, 225 Thousand Molecules
    STEVE-K3, 50 Thousand Molecules
    Gryph, 50 Thousand Molecules

WTG Everyone!

Sorry, English is my second language, Visual BASIC being my first!
    Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    4GB Corsair PC6400
    ATI X1650 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jay See Bee
    Spankinmonkee
    Banana Powered
    151 plus Ghz

Just thought I post a quick Hi from my Linux test - very different I must say.

Dual boot time is in order - I have a spare big sucker HD so why not.
    the Britgeezer

YAY! We've saved another sole frome the grasps of over priced, under functional software!