Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

??? about cd ripping to mp3

Just got my 10 year old daughter a Iriver MP3 player. What software will be best suited for ripping her cds to mp3, and does it automatically go get the title, author etc so you dont have to key it in somewhere? Something easy and cheap or free if possible. I am dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to this audio stuff on a pc. All help greatly appreciated.

Re: ??? about cd ripping to mp3

The best(and FREE!) solution is EAC:

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

EAC supports automation for encoding and is compatible for set up with most encoders. For mp3 I recommend Lame. It is probably the most highly developed MP3 encoder, with it's psychacoustics tuned using extensive double blind testing.

http://lame.sourceforge.net/

For specific settings/switches that have the best results for a given bitrate with Lame and to pick the best version of Lame for your purposes, you should refer to the testing forum for compression codecs:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 2Busy
    Just got my 10 year old daughter a Iriver MP3 player. What software will be best suited for ripping her cds to mp3, and does it automatically go get the title, author etc so you dont have to key it in somewhere? Something easy and cheap or free if possible. I am dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to this audio stuff on a pc. All help greatly appreciated.

For simple and easy, try CDex :http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/
    Works very well, too.
    For the best check the sticky in this forum about EAC.

Well I have to agree thatEAC + LAME is the best quality solution( which is why I personally use it).

But if its for your ten year old daugher, you might want something simpler. I think Windows Media Player 10 maybe the easiest/simplest solution. Play around a bit with the quality settings and make sure you uncheck the "Copy Protect my music" option so you dont have any copy protection messing things up.

It will of course rip to WMA, but iRiver supports it.
    Last edited by koan00; 10-03-2004 at 10:57 AM.
    ( Insert stupid political comment that has no business being in a technology forum here )

I use EAC + Lame and ripping 320kbit MP3s is fast and easy

EAC is great, especially with scratched CD's, but Audiograbber is such an intuitive utility and it's now freeware, as of version 1.83.

Audigrabber is so quick to use. I like the ability to rip to both WAV and MP3 formats simultaneously, or you can rip directly to MP3, either on the fly or rip then encode (happens automatically), or rip just to WAV. Just click a check box to make MP3s or uncheck to make WAV files.

There is an option for CD error correction, not as extensive as that in EAC but still nice to have.

Song info is collected on-line from Freedb.org automatically. You can organize songs in a variety of ways, including the typical /Artist/Album/Song title format, or single titles like Artist - Album - Song title (with or without the hyphens), shortened versions, and combinations. Track numbers are available if desired.

Plug in the encoder of your choice. (I too use LAME).

I also like MusicMatch Jukebox which is much more than a converter program.

Audiograbber Link
    http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

Phsstpok
    Last edited by phsstpok; 10-03-2004 at 01:25 PM.

I looked at Audio Grabber, and it looks pretty intuitive. She is very computer literate, so I think once I get it all set up she should be good to go. I went ahead and downloaded it, hopefully it will let you transfer directly to a usb device, mainly her mp3 player. If not, no big deal. It came with a reasonably intuitive file manager to delete, transfer, upload or download with the IRiver. Thanks a lot guys, you saved me alot of research and helped make my 10 year old happy.

WMP 10.

rips to mp3 and WMA.
    syncs it with your portable player.
    very easy to use and stable

finally an MS product that works

WMP 10 does indeed do a very nice job, You can also rip to MP3 at high bit rates. You just have to dig into your properties and change it (if you desire). As lid suggested it also does WMA nicely. MS actually did this one really well.

Looked at WMP 10, looks like it requires a codec to get to MP3. Any suggestions?

no it doesn't.its included

Last edited by lidistick; 10-04-2004 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lidistick
    no it doesn't.its included

Not mine. It only has the first 3, not the mp3 codec. Mine shows to be version 10.00.00.3473 . Have you got some 3rd party codec loaded? Mine has a link on that page, "Learn More about MP3" that takes you to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...on/Plugins.asp and pitches 3 different codecs at you for sale.

same version.
    download winamp and see if you require some sort of plug in that winamp already has.

Strange. I just went and downloaded the latest version of WMP. It upgraded me to 10.00.00.3646, and it now has an mp3 ripping availability in it. Will give it a shot. Thanks

oh well .. looks like it worked