Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the best place to buy an Operation System?

The company I work for asked me to build them 20+ office PC's.

They need OS though, it doesnt matter which one, 98SE, 2000 or XP as long as it comes with MS Office.

So I'm on the market looking for a good deal.

Any help will be apreciated.

Please dont forget, I'm trying to make some money off this
    Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience...

Re: What is the best place to buy an Operation System?

the operating system does not come with office, and there are many flavors of office avialiable, what do they need/want, excel, word, powerpoint...

My distributor shows

Xp pro 20 packs $3000

office basic 20 packs $4000 (word, excel and outlook)

you may be able to save a few dollars here and there but thats about it

probaably save a good bit of money with 30 packs, since they don't make 20 packs if you can unload the extra

I know, I'm sorry I should've specified

THEY want the PC's to come with OS + Office...

Damn thats a lot of money you are talking about.

Would Windows 98SE be cheeper?
    Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience...

not really

when you can find it anymore it generally costs about the same as xp home edition.

xp home edition is cheaper by about $40 each

2000 is more expensive by a long shot

and office is WAY EXPENSIVE no matter whcih way you go about it, that is why I use openoffice for my work. it is free! though I doubt they would accept it as a replacement!

did you bite off more than you could chew on a 20 computer deal?

let me run this by you

YGPM
    Last edited by StompinRound; 10-03-2004 at 03:46 AM.

Unless you want comeback, steer well clear of 98/ME - go for XP.
    - DFI Infinity NF2, XP-M 2400+
    - 10 x 225 MHz - CL2.5
    - ATI Radeon x-1950-Pro 512-MB
    - 1024-MB Hynix PC-3200 x 2
    I overclock, therefore I am

Which Office apps are they looking for, if you get the right bundle theres potential to save a few extra bucks.

Hey there,

First, try to get the corporate deals from companies (IE: CDW). Alot of times you can do
    it this way. Also, site licenses can be cheaper than single-user licenses. Get XP for
    PC setups. There are less vulnerabilities than 2000 and the support will last longer.
    I would get a written listing of the applications they want for these machines. YOU,
    are the technical expert here, do not let them dictate the systems they need. That is why
    they have you. I have to manage several PCs myself so I have to deal with
    upgrades every so many years and what to buy.

Issues:

1) Compatibility
    2) Price
    3) Vulnerabilities- that have to be patched
    4) Availability- of software

A common prob I have is people telling me they need a 2.4 Ghz CPU and 512MB of ram to
    do powerpoint. It's a load, and they will try and sell it to you like it's a necessity.
    Go fig.
    I hope this info helps.

Slade

Take time to do the important things
    today since you may not get a
    tomorrow.

Anytime you give your $0.02 you better have a qtr
    to back it up.

Thanks for the replies everyone

Here is the thing, I work for small but very popular pizza company in Chicago. We have 21 restaurants and about 2000 employees. The company is in its best, the amount of buisines we get is incredible!!! At the corporate office the computers arent that bad but, at the stores they are terrible......like, PII 300mhz, 32mb of RAM, 3.5gb Quantums and etc. Those things are having hard time to open Word and Excel, some of them dont even have any decent integrated Display adapter, and they all have different OS's - 95, 98SE and cupple 2000. Recently we got a new IT guy and he set up internal Network ( an idea I've given them long time ago.....ohh well its now his idea) so we can email each other and use it to transfer food inventory, labor and etc. instead to waste money on fax paper and expencive cartriges. So him and I started going around the stores and trying to install US Robotics v.92 modems (dial up is all we get) but we are running into a lot of trouble setting everything up due to the old mashines we work with. So I guess finaly they decided to upgrade and they remembered me (after building PC's for half of the managers in the company) and ask me to make them an offer.....

I'm trying to make some money off this, but I'll try to give them a good deal since I'm hoping to support their computers some day

I have chosen parts for the PC's, the only thing I need is a decent offer for OS's and MS Office. I think we'll need just basic but I'll find out for sure. Remember, all we'll do with the PC's is Word and Excel related.....

Here is what I've chosen:

Celeron 1.7ghz
    256mb pc2100
    MSI mATX mobo
    integrated - sound and video
    40gb 2mb Samsung HDD
    Generic CD-ROM
    APEX Case /250w PSU
    MS Keyboard/Mouse Combo
    MAG 17"

Total: $359.99

Any input is very much apreciated!
    Last edited by [BG]SitiZen; 10-04-2004 at 04:14 AM.

This sounds like an excellent opportunity to "sell" linux to your company. It's totally free and will do all you need. For simple office tasks and e-mail everything you need is in the box for free. It's got to be appealing when you add up the costs of 20+ WindowsXP and OfficeXP licences.

Linux was just made for this kind of stuff. Why pay in excess of $7,000 for something that you can get for free, is far more stable and doesn't suffer all the vunerabilities and viruses

If you save your boss that much money then he will be impressed

Ned
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 10-04-2004 at 02:53 AM.

This sounds like an excellent opportunity to "sell" linux to your company.
    It may be the right time to try, but be prepared for the training expenses that go along with it. Something it sounds like you nor they will want to do.

is far more stable and doesn't suffer all the vunerabilities and viruses
    Only because it isn't that popular right now, but when it gets popular it will be a favorite target also.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazee
    It may be the right time to try, but be prepared for the training expenses that go along with it. Something it sounds like you nor they will want to do.
    True - but in my experience the training required if for the tech support, not for end users. If you can use Office, you can use OpenOffice; likewise if you can use Outlook Express, you can use Mozilla mail or Thunderbird. Gosh, you can even use the same icons and "Start Menu" layout if that's gonna confuse them.

Ned

I know you were asking about the operating system, but you did list system specs. so I was wondering why you didn't consider an AMD 1.667Ghz at 1.65 volts Sempron (2400+ rating) retail (3-yr wty.) since it will process well more than twice as fast as the Celeron 1.7ghz at 1.75 volts. These 1.7ghz Celerons are nothing but dead turtles, brother. I have to use these at work, and yes, they are teetering on slow to the almost aggrivating point, but at least they aren't Pentium IIs. Almost could have fooled me, though.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

Quote Originally Posted by notdrugged
    I know you were asking about the operating system, but you did list system specs. so I was wondering why you didn't consider an AMD 1.667Ghz at 1.65 volts Sempron (2400+ rating) retail (3-yr wty.) since it will process well more than twice as fast as the Celeron 1.7ghz at 1.75 volts. These 1.7ghz Celerons are nothing but dead turtles, brother. I have to use these at work, and yes, they are teetering on slow to the almost aggrivating point, but at least they aren't Pentium IIs. Almost could have fooled me, though.
    Well, a mATX mobo for the Sempron will be double the price I'm paying for the VIA Intel mobo. Of course I know its faster but I'm trying to spend the least amount of money. I'm getting retail CPU's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by [BG]SitiZen
    Well, a mATX mobo for the Sempron will be double the price I'm paying for the VIA Intel mobo. Of course I know its faster but I'm trying to spend the least amount of money. I'm getting retail CPU's as well.
    ...I understand it's gonna cost enough money to drive out any worthwhile profit at the price given, but just browsing newegg it looked like another twenty dollars per machine with retail sempron and MSI mobo even. Same deal, anyway, that many machines adds up. I assume you're using someone else for a supplier anyway if you're saying the Intel mobo was half the cost. Sorry to slightly hijack the thread. I think there's enough hardware wanna-be-gurus without me hijacking.

...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

Quote Originally Posted by notdrugged
    ...I understand it's gonna cost enough money to drive out any worthwhile profit at the price given, but just browsing newegg it looked like another twenty dollars per machine with retail sempron and MSI mobo even. Same deal, anyway, that many machines adds up. I assume you're using someone else for a supplier anyway if you're saying the Intel mobo was half the cost. Sorry to slightly hijack the thread. I think there's enough hardware wanna-be-gurus without me hijacking.

You are not hijacking my thread

as I said any input is apreciated and purposely listed my hardware choices

Thanks for the input, I'll look into it.