K8V SE Deluxe, K8N-E Deluxe or A8V Deluxe?

I am thinking about doing a mobo upgrade, and these two are near the top of my list. They appear to be quite comparable in most regards, with different chipsets (VIA vs NVIDIA) and different SATA/RAID controlllers (Promise vs Silicon Image). My most demanding use will be running Pro Tools LE, but I do want good gaming performance as well.

I just added the A8V Deluxe. It has the faster FSB, and supports dual channel memory. Are there any other inherent advantages to 939 versus 754 pin boards?

Any advice, comparison, suggestions, or comments are welcome. I did search this forum, but I didn't find anything that gave me a feel for how these two compare head to head.

Thanks, Tom.
    Last edited by Tom Bowlus; 10-05-2004 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Added A8V Deluxe to list

Re: K8V SE Deluxe, K8N-E Deluxe or A8V Deluxe?

Bump.

And will try this one.

I just added the A8V Deluxe. It has the faster FSB, and supports dual channel memory. Are there any other inherent advantages to 939 versus 754 pin boards?
    The CPU is the difference, not so much the boards. With A64, the memory controller is on the CPU, this makes all of the boards of a single socket very close in CPU/Memory subsystem performance. It is not the same world as Socket A. The only differences willl be in overclocking, Nvidia stil has the PCI/AGP lock down, and Via is still struggling with it. A8V revision 2.0 boards seem to have it down finally.

So the difference between socket 939 and 754 is mainly in the cpu. There isn't any diffference in the cpu work-per-cycle; power per Mhz. However, there is a significant difference in available memory bandwidth between the two sockets if that is important to you. Looking at Sandra, for example, you can compare the bandwidth of the A64 754 on a K8V here (3144), with the performance of the A64 939 here on a A8V (5840-6018). That will be the story no matter the board, it is the cpu. Whether that is any use to you or not is up to you and what you do. Don't know if Pro-tools needs it.

Some threads in the sticky post on each of those boards if that helps. Keep in mind, the threads are collected there only because they contain a problem with a solution. Lots of links means lots of posts, not a problem board.

Quote Originally Posted by Senor Panadero
    The CPU is the difference, not so much the boards. With A64, the memory controller is on the CPU, this makes all of the boards of a single socket very close in CPU/Memory subsystem performance. It is not the same world as Socket A. The only differences willl be in overclocking, Nvidia stil has the PCI/AGP lock down, and Via is still struggling with it. A8V revision 2.0 boards seem to have it down finally.
    Thanks! It sounds like maybe the A8V rev 2.0 is the way to go. The prices seem pretty close, so why not go for the additional bandwidth?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bowlus
    Thanks! It sounds like maybe the A8V rev 2.0 is the way to go. The prices seem pretty close, so why not go for the additional bandwidth?
    Well, for one most don't need it (you might benefit), the cpu's are substantially more expensive, and you need two sticks of ram to benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bowlus
    The prices aren't "pretty close" where I am (Canada).

And, the performance of the socket939 3500+ is remarkably similar to the socket754 3200+ in a number of applications (including many games). reason is they both run at 2.2GHz and have 512k cache. the only difference is 128-bit memory access ("dual channel") on the 3500+, and 64-bit memory access ("single channel") on the 3200+.

3200+ CAD$291
    3500+ CAD$450

BIG price difference for a small/negligible performance difference in most popular applications...

IMHO, the sole reason for going 939 at this point in time is to future-proof yourself. i.e. you've already got another upgrade planned in 6 months time...
    Athlon64 3000+ (CG-stepping) @ 2500mhz (250 x 10.0; HTBus @ 750mhz)
    - Vcore 1.55v, Vdimm 2.7v, CnQ disabled
    - Cooled by ThermalRight XP-90 with Panaflo H1A
    - CPU @ Idle: 33 C / Gaming (8 hours): 46 C
    1GB OCZ PC3200 Performance Rev.2 @ 208mhz (2.5-3-2-10-1T CMD)
    ASUS K8N-E Deluxe (nForce 3-250Gb)
    - BIOS 1005 Final
    Connect3D Radeon X800 PRO 256mb @ 525/1000

3DMark05: 5262 || 3DMark03: 11052 || 3DMark2001SE: 23937 || PCMark04: redo
    AquaMark3: redo || Super Pi 1M: 37s

Quote Originally Posted by locutusx
    The prices aren't "pretty close" where I am (Canada).

And, the performance of the socket939 3500+ is remarkably similar to the socket754 3200+ in a number of applications (including many games). reason is they both run at 2.2GHz and have 512k cache. the only difference is 128-bit memory access ("dual channel") on the 3500+, and 64-bit memory access ("single channel") on the 3200+.

3200+ CAD$291
    3500+ CAD$450

BIG price difference for a small/negligible performance difference in most popular applications...

IMHO, the sole reason for going 939 at this point in time is to future-proof yourself. i.e. you've already got another upgrade planned in 6 months time...
    Interesting! The 3200+ may be quite the bargain right now. I like to be as future proof as possible, and here in the US, I have been able to get the prices on these two boards to within a fairly close range. So, I went ahead and ordered the A8V Deluxe. I didn't look into the 3200+, but I found a 3500+ for $US 309, which was good enough for me. The upgradability was the real reason I went with the A8V.

Thanks, Tom.