Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GOP: Michael Moore Illegally Offers Underwear For Votes

Personally, I think it's b.s. because MM isn't bribing anyone to vote for anyone specific, but it does appear that he broke the law so it's fair for him to be prosecuted. Read the story below and decide for yourselves. This should make conservatives happy if he is charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Synopsis
    The Michigan Republican Party is asking four county prosecutors to file charges against filmmaker Michael Moore, charging that he illegally offered underwear, noodles and snacks to college students in exchange for their promise to vote.

Moore, a native of Flint, is touring the country and imploring "slackers" who usually don't vote to head to the polls this year, saying they could make the difference in the presidential race.

He made stops at Michigan State University, the University of Michigan-Dearborn, Central Michigan University and Elk Rapids High School on the first leg of a 60-city pre-election tour.

During each program, habitual nonvoters are invited on stage to pledge to vote. First-time student voters are offered gag prizes such as clean underwear.

The GOP said Moore also offered students a clean dorm room, a year's supply of Tostitos and a package of Ramen noodles.
    stolen from http://www.clickondetroit.com/politi...84/detail.html

P.S.: My apologies if this is a duplicate!
    Last edited by 'K-; 10-05-2004 at 09:11 PM.

Re: GOP: Michael Moore Illegally Offers Underwear For Votes

hmm I don't see a problem with what he's doing, is it really illegal to give stuff away? And is he making them promise to vote for Kerry or just vote...period?

Yes it would be illegal if a serious offer, but the type of humor he is using is protected by law as well. No case.

I think it would be illegal if he was "bribing" people to vote for Kerry. That is clearly against policy. But it seems that:
    1) He's mostly doing it as a gag. Offering weird and silly prizes
    2) Only offering prizes for people who pledge to vote, whether it be for Bush, Kerry, Nader, Badnarik or other third party. It really doesn't look like he's "buying" votes for Kerry, which would definitely be illegal.

Michael Moore is an idiot, hopefully imprisoned

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._michael_moore

LANSING, Mich. - Republicans say filmmaker Michael Moore should be prosecuted for offering underwear, potato chips and Ramen noodles to college students in exchange for their promise to vote.

The Michigan Republican Party has asked four county prosecutors to file charges against Moore, charging that his get-out-the-vote stunt amounts to bribery.

"We want everyone to participate in this year's election, but not because they were bribed or coerced by the likes of Michael Moore," said Greg McNeilly, executive director of the state Republican Party.

Moore, a Michigan native, is touring the country and imploring "slackers" who usually don't vote to head to the polls this year, saying they could make the difference in the presidential race. Moore has made stops at three Michigan universities as part of a 60-city pre-election tour.

During each program, habitual nonvoters are invited on stage to pledge to vote. First-time student voters are offered gag prizes such as clean underwear.

The GOP said Moore also offered students a clean dorm room, a year's supply of Tostitos and a package of Ramen noodles.

The GOP said it asked the prosecutors to charge Moore, a John Kerry (news - web sites) supporter, with violating Michigan's election law, which prohibits a person from contracting with another for something of value in exchange for agreeing to vote.

Maria Miller, a spokeswoman for the Wayne County prosecutor's office, refused to comment on the matter. Calls to Moore and the other prosecutors weren't immediately returned Tuesday.

Re: Michael Moore is an idiot, hopefully imprisoned

No matter what my political leanings, I do have to say that Michael Moore as a person seems like a pretty big douche to me
    Heatware: Sabrewulf165 62-0-0

Just cause they register don't mean they vote. IF I were still in college I'd take him up on the freebies, as long as they weren't his underwear
    looking for a 5GB Athlon

Repost, hence merged.

Was he saying get out and vote... kerry? Or spewing his usual anti-bush nonsense? If so yeah he should be imprisioned, although I think he should anyway. But if he was just saying go out and vote and trying to encourage that with items I see no problem what so ever. Although I doubt that to be the actual case, knowing moore.

He was saying get out and vote, PERIOD, whether Bush, Kerry, or any other candidate. Ask Edudlive as he went to one of these slacker events.
    Heatware- |BTurner|
    Ebay- Fasster

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."-Judge Aaron Satie

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog
    Was he saying get out and vote... kerry? Or spewing his usual anti-bush nonsense? If so yeah he should be imprisioned, although I think he should anyway. But if he was just saying go out and vote and trying to encourage that with items I see no problem what so ever. Although I doubt that to be the actual case, knowing moore.
    Well it's kind of like the 527s...they can't come out and specifically support a candidate, but it's implied.

Let's be realistic-- we have Michael Moore, probably the most far-left public figure in the country, asking college students (typically the most far-left group of voters) to go out and vote...who do we think he wants them to vote for...Michael Badnarik?

There's still nothing wrong with it though, both sides do this and try to stop each other from doing so.

It's not really a big deal anyway, the students don't actually have to vote or even register to get the prizes, they just have to say they will. I know I would..but I'm going to vote anyway.
    PORTABLE: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz | 4GB PC6400 DDR2 | 160GB 7200rpm HDD | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 | 8x DVD±RW/Blu-Ray | 15.6" UltraSharp TrueLife display

Actually, I was one of those people, but at the University of Central Arkansas. I just changed my address though, since I had moved.

FTL, size XL

I don't see the big deal though, he said that he wants people to vote for Kerry, but even more than that he wants more young people to vote...no matter what the candidate.
    Last edited by edudlive; 10-06-2004 at 07:39 PM.
    Finding the clitoris? Is that like finding Jesus?

HES GOING AGAINST THE KING PRESIDENT!!!! HES BRIBING!!!! HES GOING AGAINST TRUE AMERICAN FREEDOM!!!!! BURN HIM!!!!!!

Abit NF7-S rev 2 - 1700+ tbred B @ 2.4 ghz - 512 mb OCZ PC3500EL - ATI 9800 Pro

"see it, believe it, never stop working to make it happen"

CLICK HERE

I hope he has the decency to wash them first.

He should send them to the third world. They could probably shelter a typical family underneath a pair of his Y-fronts.