Any Wattage to Heatercore Surface Area Ratio?

My Future Setup:

Would three ~120mm x ~120mm heatercores do me just fine for just about anything?

Something like running an A64 3000+ at greater than 3700+ speeds @2+v, as well as a watercooled northbridge, mosfets, and an overclocked 6800 Ultra or maybe two with SLI? Or would I have to use two 120x240 heatercores with a pair of car blowers to sufficiently handle this load?

Not that I’ll necessarily have such a significant wattage setup right off, but I’m really thing about my future setup for the long haul i.e. I would like this quazi-external setup to be used as-is for the next half decade or so.

Anyone know of a graph of heatercore surface area x CFM through the heatercore x heat dispersed? Or maybe just heatercore surface area x heat dispered at a constant CFM rate?

Also, can heatercore orientation give you trapped air issues? I heard of one case where an inverted heatercore prevented proper bleeding.

I ask because I may end up laying the heatercores on their sides. My thought is that it will probably be easier to find a 8.77” x 6.417” (HxW) heatercore and just lay it on its side than to find a 8.77” x 6.417” (WxH) heatercore.

Thanks,

DrCR

Last edited by DrCR; 10-07-2004 at 12:22 AM.

Re: Any Wattage to Heatercore Surface Area Ratio?

A single heatercore would 'work', but undoubtedly wouldn't result in the temps I suspect you are seeking. If you want to future proof your system so you'll never have to upgrade your radiator, you might indeed need major overkill like you are mentioning. Processor and single video today, a dual 120 should be plenty. You start adding in cooling your mosfets (northbridge should be fairly minimal) and the option of a second videocard, you might actually go beyond what a single dual-120 rad can handle, while still giving good temps without having a powerful fan. You willing to make room for dual dual-120 rads?

The scenario I described would be what wattage? ~130W CPU + ~2x90W (90W for the overclocked 6800Us?), + mosfets wattage so maybe around 300-350W? This is just a wild guess. Unfortuantly, I haven’t paid enough attention to wattage numbers in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubris
    You willing to make room for dual dual-120 rads?
    I don't really have the room.

Code:
    Max Dimensions: 
    242.8875 x 495.3 x 649.288 mm (WxDxH)
    (9.5625” x 19.5” x 25.5625”)

Preferred Max Height Total: 25” ≈ 635mm (rather than 649.288mm)

Birch Ply ˝ in. Thickness: 11mm (quazi-external box material)

Approx. Max Case Height: 17.7165” ≈ 450mm

Concluding Support Box Dimensions:
    Exterior Dimensions: 242.8 x 495.3 x 185 (WxDxH)
    Interior Dimensions: 222.8 mm x 163 mm (WxH)

Resultant max heatercore size: 222.8mm x 163mm x Depth” ≈ 8.77” x 6.417” x Depth”
    Now that 222.8mm isn't the airflow part but the entire length. The grill part would be, what, about 180mm x 160mm or so. That’s assuming, of course, I can find a heatercore of this size and not have to go smaller.

I guess I could accommodate larger heatercores if I used a really thin ply and reinforce the box everywhere except where the heatercores are. Hum, that’s actually not a bad idea. I’m going to have to look into that.

Would it be too restrictive (air flow wise) to put three 2" heatercores in the bottom quazi-external rad box? Or would that not even matter as the air would be so warm the third heatercore would help out at all?

FYI fan wise I plan on using uberquiet undervolted Globe 120mm fans on PWM or perhaps Papst 4412 fans @ 5-7V if I don’t go the PWM route. So airflow will be rather low compared to screamers or when theses fans are run at stock 12 volts. I may try to put two 120mm fans on each core by staggering them though I doubt it unless I really need to (perhaps as a future cooling upgrade if/when needed).

DrCR

If you're using low flow fans, you definately won't want to sandwich multiple rads together, you won't have enough flow to get through them. The thing to remember is....the car just had 1 heatercore, and it had probably a kilowatt of energy going through it....the core is capable of extracting a lot of heat....it's just restricted by its own efficiency in conduction and in the amount of air passing through it. Use whatever heater cores will fit, and you'll just have to vary the amount of airflow to give you the temps you desire.

Yeah, that's true. I may just increase the width of the box to fit 2x120s. Any problem with using a heatercore laid on its side?

Thanks Hubris

As long as you properly bleed the system, heatercore should work in any configuration. Good luck!

you might be intrested in my project, take a look....

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=348010

-Vi
    Athlon64 (Game Box)
    2800+ @ 2.6GHz (9x290)
    Chaintech VNF3-250
    1GB PQI 3200 TURBO (Samsung TCCD)
    6800NU 16x1 6 @ 375/850
    Custom Water Cooled

Intel P4 (Workstation)
    2.8C @ 3.4GHz (14x243)
    Abit IC7-MAX3
    1GB Corsair XMS 3700 TWINX (Samsung TCCC)
    9800SE Softmodded Pro @ 410MHz/362MHz
    Custom Water Cooled

Quote Originally Posted by ViruX
    you might be intrested in my project, take a look....

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=348010
    Yeah, I already looked over the first half or so. Glad to sure your setup is almost complete!

Just realized I'm going to have to stick with a pure copper setup and transmitions cores are out. I'll be using a G4 Storm so I have to keep my coolant viscosities down. I could probably get some buffers through chem lab though.

DrCR