Looking to buy new receiver

Spending limit, maybe $1000? I'm returning my refurb HK DPR-1001. It sounded great, but the refurb part caused way too many problems. I've heard HK's AVR series sound even better, and if I'm going to buy HK this time, I want it to be new, don't want to deal with their B-stock again. My concerns(about any high end analog receivers): heat and weight. Do they really generate that much heat and weight that much? Secondly, what would match up well with my speaker system?

http://www.cerwinvega.com/products/h...deo/index.html The AVS-5.1 system

Worried that the 4 ohm impedance won't match up well with an analog system. They had problems with my cheapo-Sony(as in, being quiet, but with my other 8 ohm speakers, nice and loud), but I'm not surprised since it damaged my earlier speakers and the the Sub/center inputs aren't even working.

Open to all suggestions(even the bad ones that say my speakers suck or something like that).
    Thanks
    Last edited by dethwing6; 10-08-2004 at 03:52 PM.
    Antec 1080 Fileserver with Antec Tru 430W PSU
    2400+ Mobile clocked at whatever's stable!
    Cooler Master Aero 7+
    ABIT NF7 rev 2.0
    1GB(2x512) Corsair Value Select PC3200
    MSI GeForce 5900XT
    1 60GB Hitachi Deskstar, ATA 100
    1 40GB IBM Deskstar, ATA 100
    DVD-Drive
    CD-RW drive
    SB Audigy

Re: Looking to buy new receiver

Denon, Yamaha, or HK are pretty well known as the best consumer level recievers out there.
    The guys at AVS forums are in love with this one:http://reviews.cnet.com/Denon_AVR_38...-30831156.html

Many of them are using it as a preamp/processor driving high-end power amps in very expensive setups. Great upgrade path, if you really get into this, you can add a 5 channel power amp later on for even better sound. Pretty future proof.

Edit: Not to take business away from here, but check out AVSforums. Warning first. It is a professional forum, they do not appreciate or even answer posts asking questions that have already been answered in stickies or previous posts.
    Last edited by John C; 10-08-2004 at 08:49 PM.

Yep, that was one I was looking at. Price tag kinda scares me, but I'm not spending my money on anything else.... Buying from an authorized dealer worth it? Denon won't honor warranties unless it's from one. So you don't think my 4 ohm speakers will have problems with this thing?

That sounds scary, using a receiver JUST as a preamp? Seems kinda wastefull. And how does an amp make the sound better? I thought it just added more power. Excuse my n00bness.
    Cooler Master Aero 7+
    ABIT NF7 rev 2.0
    MSI GeForce 5900XT
    DVD-Drive
    CD-RW drive
    SB Audigy

Well, a reciever is really 3 components in one. A preamplifier, which switches and controls volume etc, a tuner for radio, and an amplifier to take the millivolt signal and amplify it to levels that can drive speakers. One of the ways that a reciever is cheaper is because they can use some of the same components for all 3 functions. Such as the power supply. A separate amp will generally achieve cleaner sound, particularly at higher volumes.
    And it is not really wasteful, when you consider than most separate pre/pros retail for much more than the cost of that reciever alone. So if it performs very well as a pre/pro (which it does), then you have actually achieved a cost savings!

I'll second the Denon and Yamaha suggestions. The Denon 2803 or 2805 may be good values for you. Yamaha has the RV1400 and RV2800. And I would definitely suggest buying from an authorized dealer for the warranty.

wow, call me a hater but i would NEVER spend 1000+ on a reciever when buying a crappy speaker package. That is so super mega pointless.

My speakers.

Sub - http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/H...s/YSTSW315.htm

Front mains - http://www.wnmeshop.com/ns777.jpg

Center - http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/...eakers/ns-c444

Surrounds - http://www.big-plasma-televisions.co...75-4933798.jpg

Reciever - http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pho...Closed.jpg&c=2

My Denon is my pride and joy! I would most def agree that if you are gonna spend more than $1000 on a reciever, get a Denon or a yamahee. And dont get a crappy speaker package, might as well get an entry level $200 reciever for a basic speaker package..... no joke

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE..._HiFiReceivers

yes, i am cocky
    Last edited by Dj_StinkQueef; 10-09-2004 at 03:09 PM.

My speakers are that bad? So far, I've liked them over my old DCM 16S's, which cost about $130 a piece. They may be cheap, but they have better stats then higher end 5.1 system. For example this HK system:

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...oduct=HKTS%207

Better sensitivy(especially on the center channel), bigger tweeter and woofers, subs are the same, and I got the CV system for less than a third than that thing is going. I'm going to use my Sony 12" sub anyway. They're just computer speakers really, comparable to Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra setup pricewise if you don't include the amp that comes with the Klipsch.

But, back to your original point, I think you are right that it's overkill. At my point in life(senior in college), when I get to the point where I can starting building a decent HT system, much better equipment will be out. So I think I am going to go with the Pioneer 1014TX-K. Guys over at the AVSforum seem to love them. My one question about it, I see them refer to the 1014TX a lot...is that the same as the 1014TX-K? I can't find any info for it on the Pioneer website. Nice name DJ...conjures up....unique images.

Thanks for the recommendation John C. about that forum, but those guys can be a bit overwhelming.

Are my speakers that bad?
    Cooler Master Aero 7+
    ABIT NF7 rev 2.0
    MSI GeForce 5900XT
    DVD-Drive
    CD-RW drive
    SB Audigy

Sorry heh, no your speakers are not that bad i just didnt know your intentions. I actually did the exact same thing by buying a nice reciever to start with. I was just puzzled because you are looking at some really nice recievers.

No, your speakers are fine if you like the sound of them. That is the bottom line. Pioneer makes some decent stuff also. I have 2 Pioneer laserdisc players, they are by far the best ones that were made. (except for the exoteric brands like Theta or Runco, which were based on Pioneer units).
    And dont forget, when you were looking for speakers, your budget was much lower than $1000!

Yeah, I think I'm going to ramp it back down. $1000 is too much to spend when I might be moving soon. Plus, it just wouldn't be worth it in the long run. It's either the 1014TX-K or the 52TX, I'm going tomorrow to BB to test them out. I think the 1014TX-K is the best buy for money.
    Cooler Master Aero 7+
    ABIT NF7 rev 2.0
    MSI GeForce 5900XT
    DVD-Drive
    CD-RW drive
    SB Audigy

I've come down to this. HK has decided to get me a hefty discount on their a new AVR model. I can basically get an AVR 430 for a bit more than the Pioneer 1014TX-K. Can anyone think of a reason not to get the 430?

The 430 doesn't have video upconversion right? It's not a big deal, just checking.
    Cooler Master Aero 7+
    ABIT NF7 rev 2.0
    MSI GeForce 5900XT
    DVD-Drive
    CD-RW drive
    SB Audigy

Quote Originally Posted by dethwing6
    The 430 doesn't have video upconversion right? It's not a big deal, just checking.
    i think the video upconversion is pretty neat.