*semi-solved* 8RDA+ on it's last leg, won't post, recognize ide devices, etc. help!

This comes as a bit of a shock to me, since my 8RDA+ dosen't seem to have the bulging capacitor problem so many people are having. It's a v1.1 board, I've had it for well over a year and it's been running fine with an 1800xp running at 1.8ghz.

I recently purchased a new 8KDA3J and A64, so I was going to use the old system as a file server/media pc.

I haven't changed anything, except for cases, same PSU, mobo, memory, video card. The only things that are different are the case itself and the hard drive I'm using with it. The hard drive was being used in an external USB enclosure and is also confirmed to be working.

The old system worked perfectly before moving everything, now my 8RDA+ will post very very very VERY VERY slow (2-3 minutes just to get past the "Detecting IDE Devices..." part. It will go past that, detect the devices and then I can't get any farther than that. It will boot from a floppy, although very slow, similar to the speed of the ide detection. I was able to copy Win98se setup files from the DVD drive to the HD after using WD's bootdisk setup program to format/partition. I even tried posting the system with just video and ram, no idea devices connected and it still freezes during the detection.

Sometimes I can get into the bios, sometimes it gives me a black screen with a blue bar at the bottom. Sometimes it displays the CPU information during post, sometimes it only displays the memory speed "blah blah 133mhz (DDR266)". It also sometimes displays only the first item on the "Magic Health" information and freezes there. If I reboot 20 times, sometimes it will start to post then (not normally, still with the 2-3 minute detection phase). Sometimes I can power it off and back on and it still freezes, and then sometimes it will go into the slow post.

In any case, it freezes during post, detects IDE devices and then "forgets" about them when trying to boot windows. I managed to boot with a bootdisk, format/partition the HD, copy Win98se setup files from the CD and actually setup windows, but when I rebooted and it got past the post, it ran the nvidia boot agent and said the media was bad and check my cables. Cables have been swapped, fans have been plugged, unplugged, memory has been reseated, I'm out of ideas.

When I cool down a bit, I'm going to yank it out of that case and try to boot it on a piece of wood, if that dosen't work, I'm setting it on fire. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by a6equj5; 10-10-2004 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Solved
    Epox 8KDA3J // A64 3000+ @ 220/2.2ghz
    Venus 12 HSF
    1gig Corsair XMS PC3200
    BFG Tech 6800OC 128mb
    20166 3DMark2001se

Epox 8RDA+ // AMD XP1800 Tbred rev.b @ 1.84ghz (11@166) stock cooling
    512mb Kingston Hyper-X DDR2700
    MSI Ti4200 128mb
    12560 3DMark2001se

Re: 8RDA+ on it's last leg, won't post, recognize ide devices, etc. help!

As you suggest, try it out of the case, also clear the CMOS and then check the BIOS settings.
    newest comp- DFI nf2 ultra infinity- barton2500-m @10.5*230
    new comp- 8RDA+, xp2100 TbredB @202*11, 2*twinmos 3200 (non winbond), 9700 pro, Maxtor 9 plus 80gb, Hitachi CML174SWB 17" LCD
    Old comp KT7A Axia 1ghz @1.38GHZ,
    GF3 ti200, Compaq 910 19" Monitor

An update (kind of)

I removed the board from the case and set it on a cardboard box w/ video, memory, and single HD. Still freezes for 2-3 minutes during IDE detection and then goes on to the boot manager, which tells me that my media something is borked and check my cables... yada yada yada. I don't know how, but it seems like the IDE channels just spontaneously combusted(?)

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.

Strangely enough, my new 8KDA3J does kind of the same thing, freezes sometimes when cold booting, but a ctrl+alt+delete warm boot causes it to detect the IDE devices immediately upon reboot. Just an FYI, this happens with a completely different set of cables/HD than I was trying to use with the semi-comatose board this thread is about.
    Venus 12 HSF
    1gig Corsair XMS PC3200
    BFG Tech 6800OC 128mb
    20166 3DMark2001se

MSI Ti4200 128mb
    12560 3DMark2001se

Another update, the system is now running (I'm posting this from it). It seemed to have something to do with the HD. I did a little more snooping around while I was registering on Epox's website to fill out an RMA, and I found a site that did a review and noted a compatibility problem with the special edition Western Digital drives, which I'm using... They fixed the problem by removing all jumpers and letting the drive default to cable select. This solution worked for me, but just in case anyone else has this problem and comes across this thread, the other solution listed was to cut... yes, cut the first wire on the IDE cable, the red/blue/black one. How this works, I don't know, and I wouldn't recommend doing it.

*EDIT*
    The board is still giving some intermittent problems when posting. I may try to replace the battery, but removing the jumper on the WD HD fixed the ide detection problem I was having, now all I have to do is keep the bios from freezing when first starting up. I'm still getting the blank screen w/ blue bar at the bottom when trying to go into bios setup sometimes. I have to keep trying combinations of warm and cold boots until it finally starts to post, then I have to hope it lets me into the bios. I may have to RMA the board anyway, I was looking and I do have 2 bulging capacitors near the end of my memory slots. They're fairly close to the IDE ports, would this affect posting?
    Last edited by a6equj5; 10-10-2004 at 11:41 AM.
    Venus 12 HSF
    1gig Corsair XMS PC3200
    BFG Tech 6800OC 128mb
    20166 3DMark2001se

MSI Ti4200 128mb
    12560 3DMark2001se

Re: *semi-solved* 8RDA+ on it's last leg, won't post, recognize ide devices, etc. hel

Why not just post, go into bios setup and watch cpu temps for a while, it sounds to me like your cpu cooling is not up to snuff.
    If thats fine, boot into winders safe mode to see if some drivers are hanging up. Oh hell, I missed the part about the bulging capacitors, if they bulge, they are bad. If theres dirty electric delivered to the ram, your system will misbehave. If they are either GSC or Teapo, they dont have to be bulging to be bad.
    If it's still under warrantee, then you'll only have to pay one-way shipping on their RMA process.

Not all GSP caps are bad, I have a 3 year old AK31A thats full of them, is used 10hrs a day and still runs like a dream (by yesteryears standards)
    "Use the NForce3 Luke"