K8V memory upgrade

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about adding more memory to my system.
    At the the moment I've got...

Asus K8V
    2 x 256Mb Corsair XMS 3200LL 2-3-2-6
    Athlon 64 3200 2.0GHz 1Mb cache

I don't really have enough cash to buy a gig of similar specced memory and I'm prepared to sacrifice a small amount of performance for the upgrade. So what is my best option???

a) Add another stick of lower spec memory into the spare slot (i believe i will have to drop to 333Mhz for this to work?) Will I be able to run cas2 at this speed with say, Corsair Value select memory?

b) Ditch the 2 sticks and buy a gig of Value select. What performance hit to expect?

Any ideas welcome!

Re: K8V memory upgrade

It is a little surprising, but it does look as though there are limitations at DDR 400 (PC3200, FSB 200) speeds. It is not listed in the FAQ on any of the K8V boards (other than to say the CPU determines memory speed ability), it is not clearly stated in the manual either. However, if you look at the memory charts in the manual, there is no configuration that shows three modules being able to operate at over DDR 333. Not sure if this is an A64 limitation (and outdated), a K8T800 limitation, or a combination of both. The Nvidia A64 boards don't list any limitations this way, so if it is still a limit, I'd guess it is something with the chipset. Here are the charts from the K8V Deluxe manual:
    http://www.amdmbpond.com/users/senor/k8vmem-1.JPG
    http://www.amdmbpond.com/users/senor/k8vmem-2.JPG

I'd guess that selling and buying two 512's at a lower spec would be the answer. With A64, tight memory timings and low-latency doesn't give you the same gains as it does with boards with a memory controller.