Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Serial and IDE RAID?

Being compulsive I bought a K8V SE yesterday without checking one thing out. Having a system that runs both serial and IDE is kinda new for me. I have been looking for an answer to what I thought was a simple question. Funny thing though the answer is probably right in front of me and I just don't see it. Can I run serial and IDE drives at the same time? If so can they both be run in a RAID array?
    I am considering several different ways of setting up 3 optical and 3 hardrives on this board but it would be easier if I new if I can do this. My initial thought is to run a single ide drive for boot, then 2 IDE drives for raid 0 1, however I would like to add the serial raid for gaming performance. Can this be done? I know there are no guarantees on what will or won't work but it is how I have my present system set up, but without serial.
    Asus M4A79XTD EVO
    AMD 630 Propus @3.22 mhz
    4G XMS DDR3
    Gigabyte 5570
    1 120 ide boot
    2 160 seagate sata raid 0
    2 500g wd sata raid 0
    Win 7
    850 Thermaltake psu

Re: Serial and IDE RAID?

Yes you can run serial and parallel drives in a raid configuration
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=312109

Should work. The board seems to support SATA RAID & "Hybird" SATA + IDE RAID.

"Promise 20378 RAID controller incorporated two Serial ATA and one parallel connectors with RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 0+1 functions while the VT8237 RAID controller provides another two Serial ATA connectors for RAID 0 and RAID 1 functions. The K8V SE Deluxe is the ideal solution to enhance hard disk performance and data backup protection without the cost of add-on cards."

I'm not sure if the Promise controller will do IDE only RAID as it has only one (1) IDE channel listed.

It may take an add-on PCI controller card for the pure IDE array. I'm using a RocketRAID133 along with the VT8237 in my A7V880 and have used the same setup with the VT8237 in an A7V600 successfully.

Where the potential problems arise using on-board RAID controllers and PCI add-on controllers is with interrupt conflicts.

I am not sure if anyone here has tried it though....was looking for a thread where sata and pata were mixed.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    An on-board Promise 20378 controller provides two more SATA connectors and one IDE channel. That's right, this board has three IDE connectors, not two. This controller can do RAID 0, 1, or 0+1 using either its two SATA connectors or even one SATA and its one parallel ATA connector. Note that you can't RAID between the VIA southbridge SATA and the Promise SATA, but with so many drive connection options, we really don't think you'll find this a major limitation. There aren't many motherboards out there that will let you have two dual-drive RAID 0 arrays in your box without an add-in card.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    cut from :
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1387714,00.asp

The Promise 20378 chip CAN'T support RAID 0+1 since the parallel IDE connector only supports 1 drive. Now as I recall you need 4 drives to do 0+1 RAID. I know I have a AOpen ak77-600max and found out the hard way.

My initial thought is to run a single ide drive for boot, then 2 IDE drives for raid 0 1,
    Should have read that part more carefully !
    There is no way to have 3 pata in a raid 0+1 config on the board controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by CMB
    Should have read that part more carefully !
    There is no way to have 3 pata in a raid 0+1 config on the board controllers.
    Is that what he is attempting? I read it like he wanted an IDE boot drive and two independent arrays - an IDE array and a SATA array.

I am not sure.Can be read a few ways ! Last time I read through it sounded like Gryphyn wants to start with 1 ide (pata), then add 2 ide drives (pata) for 0+1, then maybe add sata raid 0.
    Hopefully he'll get back and clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by CMB
    I am not sure.Can be read a few ways ! Last time I read through it sounded like Gryphyn wants to start with 1 ide (pata), then add 2 ide drives (pata) for 0+1, then maybe add sata raid 0.
    Hopefully he'll get back and clarify.
    Yes this is what I want to do I was not sure quite how to do it. I have 2 160 serial drives new,and and 3 60s from my former system and was wondering if to make it work right, I also need 160 IDE drives. I read the info on setup and it appeared that 2 ide drives and 1 serial drive were what was required to setup the raid, however it doesnt say if all the drives NEED to be the same size. The other option was to setup 2 serial only for RAID.

Ideally I use the single IDE on pri channel 1 for boot, then raid IDE primary with 2 drives, then RAID serial with 2 drives. for 2 complete raid arrays. The total would be 5 discs and 2 complete arrays for RAID reading 320g on one and a at this point an undetermined size on the other.

My other option I thought was RAID ide mirrored for Docs n the like and serial striped for performance AND gaming.

I'll look at the info you supplied Mortar and see what I can find, Thanks. G
    Asus M4A79XTD EVO
    AMD 630 Propus @3.22 mhz
    4G XMS DDR3
    Gigabyte 5570
    1 120 ide boot
    2 500g wd sata raid 0
    Win 7
    850 Thermaltake psu

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW
    Is that what he is attempting? I read it like he wanted an IDE boot drive and two independent arrays - an IDE array and a SATA array.
    This IS what I am trying
    Asus M4A79XTD EVO
    AMD 630 Propus @3.22 mhz
    4G XMS DDR3
    Gigabyte 5570
    1 120 ide boot
    2 500g wd sata raid 0
    Win 7
    850 Thermaltake psu

I think you can do the followiing:
    The 2 160 sata drives in raid 0 on one controller
    2 60 ide drives + one other sata in raid 0+1 on other controller (or without sata and just raid 0) .....the other sata must be equal or more than 120gb
    + one 60 ide on regular ide (if you don't want to boot to raid) ??
    Somebody jump in if I am wrong

edited....added equal and ide drive
    Last edited by CMB; 10-10-2004 at 08:30 PM.

I like it. I think you are correct CMB.

These types of threads get real confusing fast.

Here's the twist.

When these newer boards came out with the VIA and Promise integrated RAID controllers on them - there is some "Hybrid" RAID configuration available with three drives and it will net 0+1 as I recall.

It MIXES drive types - IDE and SATA as you listed.

Seems it was 2 IDE's and one SATA could make an array (as you listed) or vice-versa.

I bet the "Thermo-man" knows.
    Last edited by SteveW; 10-10-2004 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW

When these newer boards came out with the VIA and Promise integrated RAID controllers on them - there is some "Hybrid" RAID configuration available with three drives and it will net 0+1 as I recall.

It MIXES drive types - IDE and SATA as you listed.

Seems it was 2 IDE's and one SATA could make an array (as you listed) or vice-versa.

I bet the "Thermo-man" knows.
    This is how I read it also, can not confirm any cases of this though.

Edit: The manual for the Fast Trak S150 TX2plus which is 2 Sata ports and one IDE Channel states that you have to have 4 Drives for Raid 0+1.
    Last edited by themortarman; 10-10-2004 at 10:48 PM.

At the least you can run two raid 0's with the 2 matching satas and 2 matching ides and put the other ide on the standard ide...using all your existing drives.
    To run 0+1 you'll have to buy another drive. Themortarman's link showed someone running 2 satas and 1 ide in raid 0, so the question is can you run 2 ides and 1 sata in raid 0+1 ??
    From the manual looks like you can but we don't have confirmation of this.
    Edit
    Actually looking at that link again, we really don't know with what drives he ended up setting raid 0+1
    Last edited by CMB; 10-10-2004 at 11:18 PM.