Page 1 of 51 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Penguin Bar

The Penguin Bar

I'd like to welcome you all to the new Penguin Bar! Please feel free to share any anecdotes or trivial jokes involving Linux and/or other comical issues like M$.

The first round's on me.

From Jazz at gentoo forums:
    "In 2010, M$ Windows will be a quantum processing emulation layer for a 128-bit mod of a 64-bit hack of a 32-bit patch to a 16-bit GUI for an 8-bit operating system written for a 4-bit processor from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."

Found this in a guy's sig at: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33784713

Re: The Penguin Bar

Great Idea SP,

An informal place to talk about all things *nix

I'm sure I'll have some stories over the coming months.

Ned

~ Want to try Linux - check out the PC Perspective Linux FAQ ~
    ~ Please take some time to read the Forum Rules ~
    ~ Feed the spamb0tz, don't mail me here: B7Trz4568254@nirvana.admins.ws ~

Alright, so I'm claiming the seat on the right. Where ya gona sit?

I'm just gonna pull up a stool at the bar if that's alright.

One of the reasons I love linux the most has got to be that there's got to be 100 ways to approach/solve any problem, and no one way is right.

This is particularly true of a networking situation I was looking at the other day. A small home network of 5 or so computers and we want to share some files. Now, if it's all linux and you immediately think NFS. Got some windows boxes too, then use Samba. Want to make some files externally accessible, logical choice is ftp server. But you could also do it with http.

Anyway, here's the thing. I run samba on my home network to move files around. I like Samba - it's neat, but I find it a little cumbersome using it with konquorer although I bet there's an easier way than I'm doing it, just that I've never really looked that hard. Then I noticed that gFTP, that I use for all my ftp needs, supports SSH and I can go straight into any of my boxes (as long as they're running SSH) just as though they were running an ftp server. Now that's neat - I don't even need to set up a samba server or NFS to share files and I have yet another method to add to my list

Anyone else got any neat tips and tricks they'd like to share?

Ned
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 10-11-2004 at 01:21 AM.

The neatest trick I like about Linux, is you can replace a $1000 server OS with a Linux server for the cost of three $0.50 CDs on a computer that doesn't need to run as fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier
    The neatest trick I like about Linux, is you can replace a $1000 server OS with a Linux server for the cost of three $0.50 CDs on a computer that doesn't need to run as fast!
    Very true

I learnt that one a long time ago seeing a colleague of mine running a small web server on an old i386 with 16MB ram stuffed under his desk. There was me thinking that servers had to be high-end pieces of hardware - wrong!

I just can't get over Doom3. Requiring 1/3 less processor and RAM then a Windows computer. Like WOW! Linux also prevailed when I was running Distributed Folding. Nothing like getting that extra bang out of your the CPU.

A bar in the linux zone, eh?
    so if its gonna be gpl compliant, right?
    Sooooooo, everythings free?
    I LIKE IT.

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

What I hate about it, is that I'm a dork! LOL! Shots of Jagermeister on me!
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

Yes, just a shame that seti has always been slower on linux - same source code so it's down to the compiler efficiency. Mind you, I'm hearing that the latest gcc gives 5-10% speed improvements over previous versions. What strikes me is generally, as windows gets more bloated and slower, linux seems to get faster. Going from RH9 -> FC1 -> FC2 I've noticed significant speed improvements in the general feel of the gui (KDE in my case).

When I first installed RH9 as a dual boot on my Vaio laptop, Windows XP definately felt snappier, but now I'd say FC2 feels faster than Windows on that same hardware. Now I wonder if I'll be able to say the same thing about the next version of windows when it's released, or if it will even run at all for that matter.

What do you mean? Windows running on your Laptop? Or just Windows it's self?

/me looks at the fine print on the menu...

YES! IT'S ALL GPL COMPLIENT!!!

So any personal concoctions have be made available for all.

the best part about linux is when your friends come by and try to use your comp, and the first thing they see is a CLI login. there like wtf your computer sucks man. little do they know the beast that lies within

one time my friends were trying to mess with my computer,
    so i just switched to VC1, from there they just left things alone

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

so i guess this would be a good place to ask. How long have you guys been using *nix based systems, and what do you do for a living? me, about a year of linux, 2 days of bsd lol, and sadly i'm just a machinist.

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidFork
    so i guess this would be a good place to ask. How long have you guys been using *nix based systems, and what do you do for a living? me, about a year of linux, 2 days of bsd lol, and sadly i'm just a machinist.
    Funny, was just talking about this with SP on PM. I started using IRIX on SGIs in about 1996 but never really took the opportunity to learn unix, just got by using the apps I needed for my job (molecular modelling/cancer research). We later got a RH7 linux workstation that I needed to learn how to use, so I took the opportunity to install linux at home and learn. I really wish I'd done it years ago now.

So, for me, about 8 years using unix and 3 years of really learning linux. I only made the full switch to linux at home in the last year. And I still know far too little

Ned