Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: The Penguin Bar

Re: The Penguin Bar

anybody have any experience with camera phones and linux?
    I just got a motorola v220 and i'm gonna look into getting pictures off my phone via the usb cable

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

no but i assume it's the same as with a digital camera. i've had several different cameras all working very well. damn i miss my linux box right now. i'd tell you what application i use but i'm not home now.

ps, i also miss a working shift key, can you tell/

Crouched behind a camera with a wide lens

Can anyone tell me what program I can use to monitor my processor temperature?

Also, can anyone recommend a scanning program?

gdesklets and karamba have sensor applets.
    or there is gkrellem or ksensors.

as for scanning, if you use sane it has various frontends (xsane and a handful of otheres)

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"

OOOOOOOOOO MAN!!!!!!

I just brought my main rig back home. It's been sitting at work running FaD for the past couple of months. So it's great to have it home again.

But don't worry, I had 3 others to play with. I guess there are advanatages to being a DCer.

Anyways, now I've got things set back up, I got to reply to Provicemo. The application that I use for grabing images from my cameras are: GTKam and FLPhoto. They both use the GPhoto 2 libraries so you'll have to get that first. I personally find GTKam a much better interface then FLPhoto. FLPhoto seems to MAC/XP like for my taste. If you want to check on compatibility, you should check the GPhoto web at http://www.gphoto.org

edit: It looks like they lost the old .net address. It's now .org.

Well the problem is that its a camera phone, it doesnt behave like a usb mass storage device (infact its recognized as a usb modem in dmesg).

kmobiletools works well, but it only does names/numbers and text messages, i'd like to get those pictures.
    I messed around with bitpim for quite some time and never got it working.

gammu/gnokii have come up lame too. I'm not even gonna try wine with the windows apps.

my search continues...

Yeah, sorry bud. I was looking at the support list since I've posted and it looks like you may be SOL with GPhoto2.

So like you say, the search continues.

Helped to convert a friend to Linux tonight.

He installed Mandrake but was having trouble getting his video and WIFI working. So went over there tonight and we got them both going. Once again NVidia did an amazing job with thier video drivers!

Got his little old Gainward card pumpin out 16000fps on glxgears! Man that's one MONSTER of a card!

After that we went on to the WIFI. What's this? We're done already? That was simple. It was harder for me to find and download the TAR file in Windows then it was to set up. We found a step by step instruction that really helped out. I should get him to send me the link (since he bookmarked it) and I can post it. Some here may have a use for it.

what card did he have? I've been fighting wifi for months now.

Ok, I'll get you the info.

edit:

Found it already!

The card is a D-Link Xtream G High Speed DWL-G520. And the guide that we used to set it up was found here:

http://madwifiwiki.thewebhost.de/wik...ndDLinkDWLG520

Like I said. This worked REALLY well. I was actually surprised at how it all turned out.
    Last edited by Spankin Partier; 01-05-2005 at 01:58 PM.

thanks. It's mandrake specific, but there's still a boatload of info there.

man, how times change. when I set up my wireless network, it cost me 50 bucks a card for two off-brand cards. now, when I was checking the price of that card, I noticed that you could get a D-Link for 33!

wow, now I remember why I gave up trying to get my card to work earlier- my head hurts! (been looking for info on my cards, an Xterrasys and a netgear with a open-source-unfriendly TI chip)

I'm gonna be getting a decent laptop in the near future, and logically I'll be putting linux on it.

Now here is my question, I want to put a binary based distro on it (don't want to do compiling on the laptop) but I want to use xfce4 as my desktop. I know back in my days of trying a ton of different distros that mostly stick to KDE or gnome out of the gates.

So has anybody tried any distros lately that have xfce4 as a default desktop?

use debian. you get the net install disk, then after that's been set up you would probably do 'apt-get install xfce4' or get it via synaptic. that's how I got KDE. I'm 98% positive debian isn't a compiling distro. by doing the net install disk it sets up a very minimal system, and then you apt-get the components you want.