Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Penguin Bar

Re: The Penguin Bar

I wouldn't recommend compiling on an overclocked system, but maybe i'm just paranoid

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier
    Alright, so I'm claiming the seat on the right. Where ya gona sit?
    In the beer cellar with all the full crates *hic*

Thats why I didn't know you were all out there in the bar

/me is so excited!!!! I just bought Doom3 and I'm currently installing it.

After I ran the install script, I've still got to install some pk4 files. But seeing as I'm a geek, and I've got several computers with CD-ROMs, I got one CD coping files directly to the HDD, and I've got another computer FTPing files to the drive too. Let's face it, there's 3 CDs so what else am I going to do!

Oh gota run...All done!

I almost kicked a salesman out today. He was determined to sell us Win2003 Server + M$ SQL + .... + ..... + ..... ! My boss called him in 'for me' and wanted us to buy a new server today.

I'm sorry but those things DON'T happen in just one day. During our meeting, I mentioned how I'd like to convert an application that we had made for us to a web based system. This would have allowed for future expansion and growth, and possible even allow us to open a second plant.

In the end, I basically refused to do the upkeep required to secure a M$ server that would be running IIS.

I think he saw $$$$ in his eyes. He was very quick to tell me how he can redo it all in ASP and M$ SQL with .NET. I'm sorry, but if we are going to have our own custom system, we WILL have someone in house that can modify it. Seeing as I'm the only one who knows how to program, then I should be able to make the call on the langues/plateforms we use.

Does that sound too far fetched to ask for that?

Crouched behind a camera with a wide lens

GForce4 Ti4200. I'm not sure but I think it only had 128MB of on board RAM. I just re-ran glxgears to conferm my score and it is around 2800-2900. I guess I should fix my other post then.

First UT and now Doom 3, so much for linux being a productivity OS...

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"

Evening all

It sounds like you gamer guys are all blown away with Doom3. Great stuff

That's one less reason to use Windows over Linux. Maybe I should thing about upgrading my Matrox G400 soon - it's OK on glxgears in a small window but that's about as much 3D as I do on my main Linux rig

Ned

for me glxgears itself is the most 3D I do.
    I keep all my gaming to my xbox

That's still a deal with the devil!

Well, I brought one of my computers into work yesterday and configured SAMBA up last night so I could do a demo / test today. I transfered a bunch of files from our regular server to mine so I could show how our software would work. You know what? It worked fabulously!

The best thing was I was able to show a 40% increase in speed! And that's running off of a simple 7200 IDE drive attached to a 10/100 network card. Our new server should be even better then that. For it'll have Gig LAN and decent RAID 5 SCSI drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Provicemo
    I wouldn't recommend compiling on an overclocked system, but maybe i'm just paranoid
    just paranoid...in dat winders thingie they have prime 95 if you can do 8 hours of prime you can compile just fine

Well, I brought one of my computers into work yesterday and configured SAMBA up last night so I could do a demo / test today. I transfered a bunch of files from our regular server to mine so I could show how our software would work. You know what? It worked fabulously!

The best thing was I was able to show a 40% increase in speed! And that's running off of a simple 7200 IDE drive attached to a 10/100 network card. Our new server should be even better then that. For it'll have Gig LAN and decent RAID 5 SCSI drives.
    I found exactly the same thing on my home network. I also saw some benchmarks recently (fouund them - linked below) comparing SAMBA v3 to a Win2K Server for file serving and SAMBA kicked arse

The second article is interesting and talks a little of the differences between RAID 0 vs RAID 5. I think that test was also done using the older Samba v2.

http://www.itweek.co.uk/news/1144312

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...6;fp;2;fpid;36

We never used Samba at work as we were mostly iMacs in the offices and SGI IRIX on the workstations and Servers so the first time I saw Samba in action was on my home network. I still remember thinking WOW - and it's free too

Crouched behind a camera with a wide lens

I know on our dorm's windows network (well, I can't really call it a network stupid M$) the performanc of said network is awful! I can't stand it!
    Last edited by clawhammer; 10-22-2004 at 12:59 AM.

Well, depending on the situation, you may want to present a little project.

You'll gain some valuable experiance in the process.