Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The Penguin Bar

Crouched behind a camera with a wide lens

Re: The Penguin Bar

there is no central server or anything like that in the dorm networks- it's just a mesh of (mostly) windows boxes. awful, just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by clawhammer
    there is no central server or anything like that in the dorm networks- it's just a mesh of (mostly) windows boxes. awful, just awful.
    That's what happens when 101 Windows users all plug into a network and decide to share a folder with the rest of the world

What a tangled web we weave

Perhaps you could set up a central Samba server on your machine for the rest of your dorm to use and show them how it's supposed to be done

Ned

Crouched behind a camera with a wide lens

don't tempt me. I shouldn't spend that kind of money (ie, bigger hard drive) right now.

myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

man, this linux is fun!'

been poking around under the hood for hours, and still havent broke it!

better learn all you can before you do brake something, cause thats when you'll need it!

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

That's the thing, if you don't use the root password for anything, I doubt you can seriously brake anything at all. So if you've got some users you'd like to use on it, it's very easy to make it "bullet proof!"

Now let me guess, you've been using root all night long.

Quote Originally Posted by thelmores
    man, this linux is fun!'

been poking around under the hood for hours, and still havent broke it!
    What have you managed to get working so far?

When I first started out, I remember my sense of achievement at editing my fstab file to automount my Windows FAT32 partition so I could copy files between Windows and Linux.

Now I just get a buzz from showing others how to compile their own custom kernel

One of the things I like most about linux is that it gives you the opportunity to learn something new every day. It really doesn't matter how much you know, you still never really know much at all

Anyway, here's what I learned today that impressed me:

I'm a great fan of SSH and I keep finding more and more ways to use it. For example, I've posted before that gFTP can access a machine running SSH server just as if it were an FTP server plus it's secure. Well, today I found that you can also access an SSH server from Konqueror using fish://machinename/url. I'm assuming that the fish protocol stands for something like File SSH. I believe Nautilus supports SSH also, but I don't use gnome. Anyway - chalk up another reason why you don't necessarily need to use SAMBA or NFS to share files on a LAN.

SSH just Rocks BIG Time

Ned

If you love ssh, i bet your a fan of screen.
    I love being able to start updating/compling and remotely being able to check and see how its doing.
    plus screen works nice with bittorrent curses and irssi so you switch back and forth between terminal screens without having a ton of terminals open.
    basically, screen is where its at when it comes to backgrounding terminal stuff.

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider
    What have you managed to get working so far?

Ned
    well, i learned that i should have done a custom, complete install.

i learned about opening a rpm file

i learned the structure of the file system (sorta! )

i learned how to use yum

installed mplayer and xine

installed yahoo messenger

trying now to install wine. when i run "yum install wine", it says it is installed and up to date, yet i dont know where it is at!

also, my sound was working, but i guess i hosed that somehow.

tried to update the kernel, now on the bootloader, i have 2 diffrent kernel choices, along with "other" (winxp).

when i try and launch the newer one, it stops on "scanning for new hardware" i think.

all in all, it has been a fun experience, as i have learned some things, have basic functionality, and have even got some things to work myself!

oh, and thank god for google!

I hope your using Gaim, and not that ugly gtk1 yahoo messenger

actually i installed yahoo to see if it had the voice over ip capabilities that the windows version does.

guess it doesnt! can anybody recommend any?

plus, it was just an exercise to prove to myself that i could do it!

anyways, it is amazing to me how well developed the kernel is, and the ease at which you can keep it updated.

i know i have alot to learn, but i have always dreamed of ditching windows for good!

the linux community, for the most part, seem happy to see new users, all be it a little impatient with nubs at times.

but i guess we all were a nub once! some of us still are!

the best thing about linux for me, is you can learn and do as much as you want, or just keep your kernel functioning and enjoy it. sorta learn at your own pace, but still have fun.

i have tried to shy away from asking questions, in order to learn as much as i can.

its obvious to me, that open source is definately the way to go. another couple years development, i can see it taking a large share away from windows.

sorry for the book.... must be the whiskey!

Quote Originally Posted by thelmores
    trying now to install wine. when i run "yum install wine", it says it is installed and up to date, yet i dont know where it is at!
    I'm no expert with wine, but here's how I got it working. Download the appropriate RPM from here. Either get the fc2.i686 one for compatibility or you could try the athlon one, just make sure it's the fc2 package.

simply install the rpm with:

Code:
    rpm -Uvh wine-blah-blah-blah.rpm
    Configuring wine is the nightmare - I read the documentation and it left my head spinning. Anyway, I found a great package called winesetuptk (the wine setup toolkit). I can't remember where I found a rpm for it so try a google search for it. If you can't find it, drop me a PM and I'll e-mail it to you. Anyway, install this and run it and it will do a basic configure of wine for you - easy. It worked fine for me for running simple windows cli apps like seti or simple gui apps like notepad, but don't expect to ba able to run Office, photoshop or games with it. For that, you really need the commercial version of wine

How you doing with your kernels? If you're still having problems, drop me a line and I might be able to help you out there too. When it comes to the kernel, I always prefer to manually install new kernels using rpm rather than yum or up2date. If a kernel is hanging like that during boot, then there's normally something seriously wrong so I'd manually uninstall it (with rpm -e package_name_version) and then manually install it again with rpm -ivh package_name. Using -ivh instead of -Uvh will ensure the new kernel is installed, NOT upgraded, so your original kernel is still available in case the new kernel won't boot. This is absolutely vital and there's absolutely nothing wrong with having half a dozen different kernels available to boot on your system.

Ned

thanks for the help ned, i am making progress, all be it at a snails pace!

i did have wine installed, and used it to run a windows game (sof2). of course the alpha and numerics on he screen looked srewed up, and it was slow, which i assume is direct rendering.

i am investigating now how to install the drivers for my radeon 9500, or even if it is possible. appears there was some support for the 2.4 kernel, but still working to get the drivers to work with the 2.6 kernel.

it is certainly disappointing for a gamer to see that ati cares so little about linux!

but it is an adventure none-the-less!

Well, it looks like we may be seeing a few frogs from the FaD side of the pond over here soon. FaD runs much faster in Linux right now so some of them are looking into making the switch.

Hey Thelmores, I know what you mean about ATI. I'm very disappointed too. I would love to try them out but I know it would be nothing but hassles. So why should I pay big bucks for something that may not even work.

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier
    Well, it looks like we may be seeing a few frogs from the FaD side of the pond over here soon. FaD runs much faster in Linux right now so some of them are looking into making the switch.
    Have you thought about writing a guide for our FaD Friends? It might save you a lot of time answering the same questions over and over again. I did for seti2, but we don't have quite so many linux users.

Ned