Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: The Penguin Bar

Re: The Penguin Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider
    Did you manage to get one of the penguins stuck in the board
    I laughed the first time I did that. I didn't realize that's what you are suppost to do. Maybe I should have RT*M first.

So is anyone here or has everyone fallen asleep from the Turkey?

Blah. I don't really like turkey. It is usually too dry.

Anyone know how I can get alsa to increment my audio up or down by 1. I have the program to set shortcut keys (e16keyedit) and I want to be able to change my main volume easily. Using ALSA just in case you wanted to know.

Nevermind, I figured it out. amixer set Master 1+/-
    Last edited by DualMonitor1551; 11-27-2004 at 02:15 PM.

Sorry Dual, I never really dabbled with Alsa that much.

I've been playing with Gentoo a bit. I really liked how you start a 'mini' Linux to build a customized Linux. The documentation has been really good so far. The only issue I'm having is with the SCSI drive. I've got to look at how to config the kernel to enable SCSI support. I just haven't had much trouble shooting time to spend on it yet.

Gentoo is so great

can't help with the scsi though, i only have basic scsi enabled to support my usb drive

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

I know. It was a lot of fun putting it together. It's just too bad I haven't had much time to work on it. For I haven't even touched it yet this weekend.

I think all you need to get SCSI working is to go config the kernel and do the following:

Go to
    Device Drivers > SCSI device Support
    Then enable SCSI disk support
    The last thing you should need is to enable your SCSI low-level driver which is at the bottom

This is all assuming you are using the gentoo-dev-sources kernel, since that is what I have.

If that doesn't work we'll try something else.

I'm going to look into it a bit now. Booting off of the live CD seems to work great. But when I try to boot normally, I end up getting a kernel panic. If I continue to have problems, I'll post more info. I just want to go through some info I've downloaded today when I'm actually on the machine to step through things. I'm hoping the answer is within the printouts I've got.

if its a kernel panic its probably a misconfigured kernel

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"

Here, I'll type in the error I'm getting (thanks to my digital camera for taking a screen shot ):
    Code:
    VFS: Cannot open root device "(hd0,1)" or unknown-block(0,0)
    Please append a correct "root=" boot option
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount rood fs on unknown -block(0,0)
    So I'm sure it's a problem with my grub setup. Originally I was thought it may have been with the kernel configuration. But after actually thinking about it, I believe it's grub.conf that screwy.

I'm going to try several options to see what works.

yep your grub is not installed properly is the most likely cause of that

time for you to take another gander at the install guide

Augh. Brain is starting to hurt. Time for bed. I'm too tired to work at this now.

I've been kicking around this idea in my head for a while since I got wine installed. If I installed windows on a seperate partition and then mounted it as my fake windows install for wine, do you guys think I would be able to run anything? Or has anyone tried it? It would be a pretty nice thing to be able to run any windows application in linux.

I thought I read that doing that would be quite risky. You have to remember that by default, wine is configured to resemble Win95/Win98. So there will be some configuring you would have to do first in order to get it to work. Also, I don't think they would share the same registry file. Wine creates a text file where as I think the real Window's registry file is binary.

But on some of the smaller applications (where the registry isn't used) it may work.

But just be prepaired to reinstall Windows if things go wrong. You may bork it doing this. Most likely by installing programs while running wine from Linux. This may cause some DLLs to be updated and freak out Windows when it finds they have all changed.

------

On a side note, I found yet another reason to hate M$ products. My boss has been having trouble e-mail a few of his friends/customers. They just simply wouldn't receive his attachments. So I told him to e-mail it to my work computer. It worked. Oh-well, I guess it's a problem on by boss's friends' systems. But then I had a thought and I told him to e-mail it to my Linux box. Low and behold, I recieved a single file (rather then the 3 images he was sending). winmail.dat was the name of the misterious attachment. So after a quick Google, I found out that M$ Outlook uses a propritary system for sending e-mail attachments. Surprise, surprise! And now as more users are straying away from Outlook and starting to use alternatives, Outlook e-mails are starting to fail.

Appearently you have to force Outlook to send all email as Plain Text.

/me whishes I could format all the computers here and install Kontact.

Quote Originally Posted by DualMonitor1551
    I've been kicking around this idea in my head for a while since I got wine installed. If I installed windows on a seperate partition and then mounted it as my fake windows install for wine, do you guys think I would be able to run anything? Or has anyone tried it? It would be a pretty nice thing to be able to run any windows application in linux.
    yes this is possible, BUT usually doing a 'fake install' tends to work better.

I did it (before i realized wine was a collosal waste of time and effort) and in my experience a fake install works better

anybody have a clue as to how to files listed in another file?
    i did
    Code:
    ls|grep "]"> delete
    to get a list of files containing ]

now i want to delete those files, any ideas?