New Board and Hard Drive

In the process of putting a new machine together since my old cpu and board went Poof. Ordered a new Mobo and CPU last night. My question is that I have dual boot 2000 and xp-pro installed and my old hard drive. Does anyone feel that I will have a problem with it finding the drive and working with it. Or should I purchase a small drive and use my present one as a slave. If it really comes down to it I could always reformat the old drive and lose all my present information. Again Thank You All

Re: New Board and Hard Drive

Is the question whether or not you will be able to put the old drive in the new machine and boot from and run the OS's on them?

If the new board is the K8N-E, as in your other thread (BTW, the video card will be fine ), and the old one is the A7V8X in your sig, there will be problems. The ide chip is different, and you'll probably just get reboots when you try to start up with either OS on the new board. You could do a CD-Rom boot and a run a repair install on each OS, then edit the boot.ini to however you have it now I suppose. There is some more info on doing that in the sticky post at the link called "Change motherboard without a Windows Re-install". Sounds daunting with a dual-boot system.

Re: New Board and Hard Drive

Senor Yes its is ( Is the question whether or not you will be able to put the old drive in the new machine and boot from and run the OS's on them?) It sounds as if I can install on a different machine and obtain all information format the drive and do a clean install I would be better off.