Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Latest Linux adventure!

If you have been following my Linux follies you'll remember I had massive trouble getting a Linux Distro installed. After many attempts I finally got SuSe 9.1 installed. Liked it so I decided to install my new 80 gig HD and use my two old 20 gig HD's as a Raid 0 setup. My plan was to install XP on the 80 gig then install linux on the Raid. No dice the Linux didn';t even recognize the two raid drives (big shock huh?? Linux is stuck in the 80's it seems). So I had to install in on my 80 gig drive (something I was leery about). Finally tonight I went for it. SuSe wanted 44 gig's of my 80 gig drive so I let her have it. Install went ok and I booted for the first time........a bit of a shock a black sceen with the words "Grub_" . No keystrokes would get it to leave. Ok reboot and try again..................same deal. I could boot into the SuSe CD but not into the HD. Shaking my head I set my CD to boot and put in the Windows XP CD. Well now we have a problem, the Cd would get ot "inspecting you computer configuration" and hang....................UH OH. So I was stuck Linux screwed mt MBR up so bad even XP won't load from the CD. Sweating I grabbed the next Linux Distro I had laying around. Mandrake 10.1 community. Installed that over Suse, everything went fine. When it came to boot THAT all I got was "L_" on a black screen. Oh boy now I'm SCREWED....................XP cd still won't boot and the HD seems F-ed. So i get desperate.........remember in the early days of XP there was a 6 floppy set to load XP if you didn't have a bootable CD drive?? Well as a last resort I tried them, and I was able to run the "FIXMBR" command and get my computer back. PHEW. So apparently Linux has AGAIN regressed and 2.6 kernels will not load into a dual boot setup on the same HD as XP. I think i finally can say SCREW LINUX. Its unreal how bad this OS has gone backwards, I'd have to get yet another HD to run linux ( that would make 4) since Linux has no idea what Raid is..............I hate windows as much as the next guy, however Linux is so frustrating its unreal. to think just two years ago Mandrake 8.0 loaded easy as pie with Windows XP. WTF is there retards working on Linux anymore?? F-this
    Athlon 64 3200+
    Asus K8V
    512 megs DDR RAM 400mhz
    Creative LIVE! sound card
    Radeon 9200
    52x CD rom/writer
    Maddog DVD writer
    Cable modem w/Linksys wireless G

Re: Latest Linux adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by Talonracer
    My plan was to install XP on the 80 gig then install linux on the Raid. No dice the Linux didn';t even recognize the two raid drives
    You don't have a hardware RAID controller, you have two IDE drives set up as a software RAID with proprietary Windows drivers and BIOS support for booting and initializing the drives. How should Linux support your Windows-only software RAID?

I can understand your frustration, but please realize that some of these issues appear to be because of a learning curve, rather than actual faults with Linux. Your beef should be in how it isn't easier to get Linux up and running in combination with XP - not in how Linux is dumb, or has regressed. Windows XP doesn't like to play nicely with ANY non-Windows OS....thus if you ever find it works easily (like your Mandrake experience) it is entirely due to the efforts of the Linux development team.

You'll find more people here willing to help you out if you take a deep breath, state your problems, and ask for assistance - rather than complaining and insulting the OS that folks in this particular forum are rather fond of.

How exactly do you have things configured? If you're running software RAID, it will only work in a single OS. If it's a hardware RAID, you'll need to load the appropriate drivers in each OS.

Well I had Mandrake 8.0 installed dual boot with XP two years ago and had zero issues. So why won't newer Distro's of Linux work with XP??? What's scary is they both corrupted my boot sector so badly even the Windows XP CD wouldn't work............I couldn't even reformat the drive. I had no access to it. I could either boot to the Linux CD or boot to the hard drive there I got a black screen with "Grub" (Suse) or "L" (Mandrake). So something is very wrong with the new Linux 2.6 kernel. I read the sticky about Fedora having trouble with this, assumed none others did. Well I really have no choice Linux is not an option for me to even play with and learn UNLESS I get another hard drive. I mean i almost had a 20 gig HD filled up, my other 20 gig HD sat empty. I just got another 80 gig drive so I now have 120 gigs which is more than I'll ever use. I could break up my Raid setup but what for?? I loved Linux two years ago but its regressed to the point now where its again for tech-heads only. I really have no other option , I really dislike windows but honestly its so far advanced its silly. I had major problems with my Last XP install but even with that I had everything cranking good by evening. I just wish SOME other Windows option would come up. Linux can't seem to keep pace with the latest hardware upgrades. If someone could explain WHY Mandrake 8.0 installs fine with XP dual boot on the same HD.......and with 10.0 and 10.1 its a nightmare. That's progress?? I may sound angry but I'm more sad than anything.
    Athlon 64 3200+
    Asus K8V
    512 megs DDR RAM 400mhz
    Radeon 9200
    52x CD rom/writer
    Maddog DVD writer

Hi. In regards of that GRUB message you got after installation. Did you actually create a boot partition? Suse 9.1 is a very good OS and runs perfectly on my system.

Uh of course I created a boot partition, in fact it does that automatically. I took all the defaults Suse 9.1 suggested and ran with them. I think you are nuts to install Linux on the same HD as XP. If I didn't have the XP install floppies (don't ask me why i had them, been years since i needed them). I mean the only thing I could have done was tear the computer apart and take one of the 20 gig HD;s and just put it on the primary IDE controller. I honestly never heard of an OS being so poorly engineered as to erase your boot sector............I mean I was a Beta tester for Windows 95!!! Talk about horror stories...............however Linux did them one better. I never had a computer that was unrecoverable from. If I didn't have those ancient floppies I would have been in for a long nite. I just want someone to answer why Linux has gone from a fun OS that was a viable alternative to windows, to THIS. Its unreal to me. I have 3 CD's of Mandrake 10.1, 6 CD's of Debain, 4 CD's of Fedora, 3 CD's of Mandrake 10.0, and 1 CD of Suse 9.1..........plus 3 CD's of Mandrake 8.0 I BOUGHT at Best Buy two years ago . I've never even considered buying Windows. I have a hacked XP, 98 se I got from an ex, and a windows 95 I got for nothing. So I put a heck of alot more time and effort into Linux......and all I have is a pile of CD's that are unusable to me. Sorry to trash Linux on a board like this........but this OS is so poorly engineered it makes Bill Gates look like a Rhodes Scholor. So I have no options left. Either i suffer with windoes or go back to Macintosh (who actually have made a USABLE Unix based system). Its unreal in 2004 there are no other options.
    Athlon 64 3200+
    Asus K8V
    512 megs DDR RAM 400mhz
    Radeon 9200
    52x CD rom/writer
    Maddog DVD writer

Quote Originally Posted by Talonracer
    Well I had Mandrake 8.0 installed dual boot with XP two years ago and had zero issues. So why won't newer Distro's of Linux work with XP??? What's scary is they both corrupted my boot sector so badly even the Windows XP CD wouldn't work............I couldn't even reformat the drive. I had no access to it. I could either boot to the Linux CD or boot to the hard drive there I got a black screen with "Grub" (Suse) or "L" (Mandrake). So something is very wrong with the new Linux 2.6 kernel. I read the sticky about Fedora having trouble with this, assumed none others did.
    Unfortunately, this issue affected ALL 2.6 based kernel distro's. It's an issue with the 2.6 kernel.

I don't know what the current status of this issue is as I don't currently dual boot any 2.6 kernel based systems.

Ned

PS - could you please try and use a little white space in your posts (paragraphs) and less................. It makes it so much easier to read what you're trying to say (sorry, but my eyes are getting old )

People can blame Linux for all sort of reasons but booting should never be one.

To put Windows NTbootloader back one does fixmbr or fdisk /mbr

To put Grub back one types grub-install /dev/hda

To put Lilo back one types lilo -b /dev/hda

For the last two one needs to access to the Linux in exactly the same way of booting to Windows recovery console or DOS first. This can be achieved by a bootable Linux floppy in Grub or Lilo, installation CD, a LIve CD of another Linux or any other bootable Linux in the same PC.

Linux distros are not commercial products. They are works of volunteers and generally lag behind in term of technology. If people can't accept this fact and demand a first class customer services then they should stick with other systems that need to be paid for.

I need to defend Linux bootloaders because I have 16 distros and 3 XPs in the PC all bootable with one menu, with 2.6 kernels, SATA disk.....

Where else can one find a bootloader that can boot more than 16 systems?
    Last edited by saikee; 10-13-2004 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by saikee
    I need to defend Linux bootloaders because I have 16 distros and 3 XPs in the PC all bootable with one menu, with 2.6 kernels, SATA disk.....

Where else can one find a bootloader that can boot more than 16 systems?

there speaks our resident bootloader expert

I can understand 16 distros, but 3 XP's on one computer? That's just too much Bill!

It makes me laugh to hear someone complain about something that they never paid for. If you don't like it. Then don't go there. You're not loosing anything.

Now if you've got the same problem with a program that you paid for. That's a different matter. You've got every right to complain about it. People are just too used to thinking that they have paid for some software and it's not 100% to their liking. So the only alternative is to complain.

What people don't realize with Linux is that if there is something they don't like it, then change it. EVERYTHING CAN BE CHANGED IN LINUX! EVERYTHING!!!!

This is a great thread!

love the compusa thingy heh heh
    Samd4

Hubris,

I was helping a guy from a forum to put XP and Win9x with a Linux bootloader so I pulled out my backup of my XP on a separate hard drive and added to the Linux bootloader, more or less in the same setup as his just to demonstrate that it could be done. After that I thought why not add one more backup copy to make it a general case.

I have to amend the background wall paper and the screen saver to convince myself that I was booting 3 different XP (all from the same license. It should be OK as I can only have any one running at a time and it is on the same computer.)

The principle should work with any version of Windows. The hiding and unhiding bits are needed because Windows like to be in the first bootable disk.

Quote Originally Posted by saikee
    Hubris,

I was helping a guy from a forum to put XP and Win9x with a Linux bootloader so I pulled out my backup of my XP on a separate hard drive and added to the Linux bootloader, more or less in the same setup as his just to demonstrate that it could be done. After that I thought why not add one more backup copy to make it a general case.

I have to amend the background wall paper and the screen saver to convince myself that I was booting 3 different XP (all from the same license. It should be OK as I can only have any one running at a time and it is on the same computer.)

The principle should work with any version of Windows. The hiding and unhiding bits are needed because Windows like to be in the first bootable disk.
    That's actually a very neat idea for testing service pack, driver updates and the like - all the stuff that normally breaks windows. I've seen people running virtual PC or whatever for testing/support of multiple OSes before. Now all you need is a working copy and backup copy of Win98, WinME, Win2K, WinXP and Win2003, all dual booting with a few of your favourite linux distros thrown in for good measure. With 160GB disks being so cheap, 16 partitions of 10GB each should do the trick nicely

Only my laptop is dual boot. Maybe I should get more adventurous

Ned