Good or Bad Capicitors

EP-8RDA3+ Rev.2
    Have a quick question, has anybody had problems with the Teapo capicitors on their mobo's.
    System has been running since late December, everything at stock speed, this board has been rock solid with no problems at all. I would like to know if it is just the boards with GSC caps. that have all the problems?

Goose

Re: Good or Bad Capicitors

gosling

where did you get your board?
    #1-i5-4690k-msi z97 gaming 5- msi gtx 1060 6gb- lg ud 68 4k monitor
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-gigabyte 990fxa ud3-xfx 480 4gb- asus pb 278 2k moitor
    #3-i5-2400- biostar tzz77-msi 480 4gb- asus vx24a 2k monitor
    #4-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

Mobo was purchased from Newegg in late November, was kind of worried if I would get a Rev.1 or Rev.2, I was happy to find that it was a Rev.2 when I opened the box. I checked the board out and found that ALL! the cap are Teapo.

Quote Originally Posted by gosling
    Mobo was purchased from Newegg in late November, was kind of worried if I would get a Rev.1 or Rev.2, I was happy to find that it was a Rev.2 when I opened the box. I checked the board out and found that ALL! the cap are Teapo.

What color are the caps?

I have had about 6 8RDA3+'s, and found all of mine have been Green with a large Gold Stripe, IIRC. Got my first one in january though.

if you check around, teapo also had bad capacitors, at least i found one computer repair shop that had em. they were getting about 10 boards aday re-turned, msi, gigabyte , epox. the onlly boards that were not being returned with bad capacitors were asus. 2002 was the targeted year with bad capacitors, and the boards usuallly showed bad capacitors after about 2000 hours of serivice, though some at 400 hours. read an interesting story, it basically started from some scientists that stole an electrolyte formula, but it was not the complete formula. they produced the electrolyte and then sold it to companines , and this is the reason for the bad compacitors.
    #1-i5-4690k-msi z97 gaming 5- msi gtx 1060 6gb- lg ud 68 4k monitor
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-gigabyte 990fxa ud3-xfx 480 4gb- asus pb 278 2k moitor
    #3-i5-2400- biostar tzz77-msi 480 4gb- asus vx24a 2k monitor
    #4-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

John L. The color on the caps are black with white stripe, green with gold stripe, and purple with gold stripe. From what I've read the Teapo caps were made in Taiwan with the electrolytic formula from Japan, could this be true, or is somebody packing sand up my _ _ _? Would like to get the low down on this.

Goose

The bad electrolyte was distributed to various capacitor manufacturers in Taiwan in 2001. Since then millions of defective caps have been produced and sold to mainboard factories that produce boards for several brand names. This problem bears very little relation to the overall quality of any particular brand name which may have been using Taiwan based GSC capacitors for many years. I for one have a 3-1/2 year old Shuttle AK31A that has GSC caps and this board runs without problem.

None of the caps on my 8RDA+ had the visual indicators of hydrogen gas build-up (swelling and leakage) yet after the first year and a half, my board became increasingly unstable and difficult to overclock and after I replaced all the GSC caps, I cranked it up to it's maximum OC of 234mhz, just like when it was new.

Teapo reportedly only uses electrolyte manufactured in Japan but I cant swear I only do doobies from Mexico .
    "Use the NForce3 Luke"

current teapo opinions?

Teapo are good. I believe AOpen uses Teapo and they use only the highest quality components in their boards. If I was going for pure stability and longevity, I would pick Asus or AOpen. I prefer to OC, which AOpen can do, but not terribly well. Asus can, but usually lack as well due to voltage options. Anyway, they are good caps and you shouldn't worry too much about it. Somone over at AOA just reported his 8K3A died on him after 3 1/2 years of 24/7 overclocked use. That's over 30,000 hours on 10,000 hour caps. You just never know.

Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe - AMD Opteron 1212 HE @ 3.0GHz - 2 x 1GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400C4 @ 1000MHz 5-5-5-15 -
    BFG 7950GT OC @ 600/1600 - 160GB Seagate SATA2 - 3 x 300GB Seagate SATA1 - Enermax Whisper II 535w
    Heatware

Thanks SPQQKY!