XP install w/ SATA- please help

Hello all,
    This is my first post. I am trying to install XP Pro onto a new system.

EPoX 8RDA3+
    3200 Barton
    1Gb ram
    WD 200Gb S-ATA drive
    Sony DVD RW
    ASUS nVIDIA GeForce FX5700 256MB

I get into XP setup hit F6 and install the SATA drivers. I get through the partition process. When I format using NTFS (quick) it gets to 20% and hangs. If I use the standard format it gets to 100% and hangs. Sometimes I will get an unable to format error.

If I use FAT32 I can get through the format. but when windows starts to copy the files it gets to 3% and hangs (and not always on the same file).

I have a few questions.

1) Do I have to have multiple drives for this system? WD tech support says it's possible. I can't find any documentation anywhere that states that.

2) What am I doing wrong? Are there any suggestions?

Please help I am pulling my hair out!

Re: XP install w/ SATA- please help

Correction I just tried to format FAT32 again and it hangs at 100%

Also I have to mention that this is the second drive that this has happened with. I thought the first one was faulty so I exchanged it.

I'm not sure if it's the drive, are you sure your Windows disc is okay? Are you overclocked at all? How's your memory and timings?

perhaps its not the drive but the board

might want to go to the epox section of the forum, theres a motherboard section specifically for epox and is represented by someone actually with the company, see if anyone else has had troubles with that board and SATA etc..., maybe theres a bios conflict or something. assuming this is an onboard SATA controller, not a pci one ?? you might have luck posting this in there instead especially if it winds up being the board, cause you said it is the same with 2 drives, Id start assuming its something else, most likely the board

I wish I had something more helpful to say

good luck
    Last edited by JeremyWills; 10-17-2004 at 01:10 AM.
    Low Speed, High Drag!
    Formerly a team 734 Folding Frog. (Might start up again soon)

There's also a forum over at WD www.westerndigital.com that has a lot of info about sata drives ,and install problems, maybe by browsing there you can find an answer. You aren't moving the jumper are you? According to WD, that's a big NO NO BD51
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

Not sure if you have done this...but before installing OS...it is a good idea to test your memory. Is this SP1?

Also may want to post your temp and voltage settings listed in your BIOS.

One other thing, though I wouldn't think it would cause an early failure during the format process is to try and make another floppy driver disk. I get bad floppies once in a while.
    AMD RIGS:
    Main Rig: Antec P160\A7N8X-Dlx\1007 Uber\Thermalright SP-97-Ceramique\XP-M 2500@12X210\NB Vantec Iceberg\2X Corsair XMS 256 PC3200LL\WD Raptor X2 (RAID 0)\WD 800JB\ATI 9800 Pro\NEC 2500A\Vantec 520W PS

Shuttle Rig: SN45G\Stock Ice-Ceramique\XP 2500@10.5X202\Mushkin Black Lvl I PC3200\ATI AIW 9600 Pro\WD 1200JB\Lite-On LTC48161H

Current evaluation testing: Plextor PX-712SA (SATA Optical Drive).

My Pets...... 3112 Driver Comparison....NCQ Desktop Performance

*UPDATE*

Memory is fine. I am not overclocking and the temp/ voltage settings appear fine. I was able to use a 98 boot disk and fdisk to format a portion of the drive. XP is still hanging on the install. I think there is a communication problem somewhere. I was able to xcopy the XP CD to the hard drive I am going to attempt an install that way. If that fails I will go to the WD forums and MB forums ( I did look already, but what the heck, I'll look again)

Thanks for your help

Did some homework on your board and SATA, I just used the words

8rda3+ SATA problems

in a google search, after bringing up several links I am including a few links to the pages I think might be relavant to your problem, you may be able to try these suggestions and see if they can help you or not since you have tried 2 harddrives you may want to try another board, hopefully not though

Good luck man

Jeremy

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/archi...p/t-26659.html

http://www.short-media.com/forum/sho...8&page=1&pp=20

they all make it sound like its the board probably

anyhow it may or may not help, good luck
    Low Speed, High Drag!
    Formerly a team 734 Folding Frog. (Might start up again soon)

Hello all! I am replying to this post on my new working machine.

Here is how I did it. I went to Walmart. bought an 80 gig ultra ATA/100 which will now be my System drive.

I didn't know if it would cause a problem so I disabled the SATA interface in the BIOS. I installed XP and it went like butter. After install I Shutdown and enabled SATA in the BIOS.
    Booted to XP no problem.

In XP I used disk management to repartition and format the drive to NTFS. It formatted no problem. I was skeptical so I did a full surface scan. Drive seems to be fine System is working beautifully. Thanks for all your help.

Wait, so what's going on with the SATA drive?

I installed the SATA drive in windows after fresh XP install. Now the SATA works fine. I can only assume that the technology is just too new.

I have my OS installed on the 80 gig ATA/100 and the SATA is now second drive. I have installed some programs to the SATA and copied files back and forth with no errors at all.

Everything appears OK

I would recommend NOT trying to ever install XP to a single SATA drive. It's a bad thing. Thanks again for all your help.