Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Project: Geared Up. 7-25 3700+!!!

Just got a Lian Li PC V1000B. I wanted to forego the Dremel and jigsaw method this time and get something cut clean for the side panel. I've been researching the process and it sounds good but no one will give/list any idea of pricing. I know it will be dependent on the size of the project but I would like to be able to estimate how big I should go before it becomes a non-option.
    Last edited by grumblemarc; 07-25-2005 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Attempt to update thread title
    Ebay---Heatware---Paypal verified---Project:Geared Up---My Site-ROSSWERKZ.COM

Re: Anyone get any water jet cuting done on their cases?

I have never had it done on any case parts but I have seen a water jet machine demo-ed and have seen the cuts it produces. It is far superior to anything that can be done by machining or saws.

Check these links

http://www.mnpctech.com/waterjet.html

http://www.customwatercuts.com/index.php
    Last edited by Crazy Chuckster; 10-29-2004 at 05:28 PM.

Sweet, they look awesome.

Cool. I was looking at the second site already. The first site has the template cuts listed for $69.99. That gives me something to plan around. Mine will be a little more complex than those.

Very cool stuff! Not a bad price with return shipping included.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Actually I believe the return shipping was additional to the $69.95 price.

Quote Originally Posted by Beenthere
    Actually I believe the return shipping was additional to the $69.95 price.
    Right you are...nasty little + !
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Smile Re: Anyone get any water jet cuting done on their cases?

Abrasive water jet technology is cool. Just like the plasma form cutters
    I used at CAT but without all the burning etc.
    ~ SolTek SL-75FRN2-RL (nForce2) = 10x230fsb, 2.0/2/2/11 DC
    ~ 1800+ DLT3C/VPMW/0307 ~ Leadtek 6800nu (16/6 400/825)
    ~ PCP&C 425deluxe ~ Gskill "LE" 1gb TCCD/437

In another thread I asked about some CNC machining for some fan bezels I wanted to go with my new case. Well I got tired of waiting for those bezels (check these out) to maybe arrive "sometime" next year so I contacted Chris over at www.customwatercuts.com to do my own custom fan/window bezels. Right now he's working on the CAD stuff to get me an estimate of the job. I didn't use MNPCTech because they use Chris' services for the watercutting they advertise. It'll probably be quite expensive but I plan on keeping this case a long time.

Here's what I plan on getting done. These pieces will make up a window bezel and 3 120mm fan bezels cut from 1/4" & 1/8" aluminum. I probably could've done this myself but I currently live in an apartment and don't have the necessary space or tools to accomplish this. Eventually the pieces will end up getting chromed. There will be fan grills that are going to be knockoffs (made by me) of the ones found at www.mnpctech.com-(the honeycombed ones).

I'll keep you guys posted and since I plan on modding the hell out of this case I'll probably start a project log of some kind.

I'm getting ready to do some pretty cool mods to my case. I am going to do a "Lanparty Logo" side window on my case. Probably add some 80mm fans on top as well as mod the front bezel and some additional fans. I am a Process Engineer and I have access to any fab-machine tool you can imagine. I program CNC Punch Presses, Lasers and Machining Centers for a living. I will be cutting this Lanparty side panel on a 2000w Amada Pulsar Laser. My new case should be here next week. I'm getting a Skyhawk-Lian Li knock off to play around with. Along with a Lanparty UT, A64 3400+ and a gig of PDP XBL. I will post pics soon of the finished product.
    A64 3400-0434 250x11 @ 1.55V
    XP-90 w/Boxed Fan
    Lanparty UT
    PDP XBL 1 x 512-2.5 3 3 6 1:1 @ 2.7V
    BFG 6800 GT OC
    Maxtor 80GB SATA
    FSP 530
    Aerocool "Spiral Galaxies"
    XP Pro SP2

Thanks for the info but I'm strictly talking abrasive water-jet cutting. Laser cutting may be cheaper but cannot handle the thicknesses that water jets can slice through. From what I've read water jets offer a better finished product over that of laser.

Depends on what thickness we're talking about. If we were talking about say a 4000W laser, then it could cut up to 1/2 thick aluminum with far less draft than waterjet and a finish that rivals many machined finishes. If we're talkin stainless then we could cut at least 3/4 in thick stock. A laser cuts way more efficiently then waterjet, but that's another story in itself. I was commenting on a mod to the side panel on my case. As far as sheet metal or aluminum, there's nothing better then a laser. Leaves a butter smooth finish with no burr when the cutting conditions are set up properly. Those are going to be some pretty pricey pieces to have made unless there is some kind of qty. to them. Most of the cost of a job shop is in the setup. It's harder for the shop to make money on limited production stuff.
    XP-90 w/Boxed Fan
    Lanparty UT
    BFG 6800 GT OC
    Maxtor 80GB SATA
    FSP 530
    XP Pro SP2

Well thanks again but the topic was water jet cutting. As for thicknesses I wonder what kind of power a laser would need to cut material up to 10 inches thick. Abrasive water jet cutting can handle pieces of that thickness consisyently. And while a laser's tolerance is pretty tight for what any modder would want I think the dofference is neglible. Also setup on any of those machines will cost however Chris only charged me $20 to program my designs into the CAD program he uses for the water jet cutter. As for overall cost, I know it will be expensive. I don't care at this point seeing as how I shelled out $200 for a case that I plan on keeping for many years to come-cost isn't an issue. What it comes down to are whether one process is more preferable than another to me.

Here are some details for comparison.

I'm not trying to start a war here. I was just stating some common known facts about two different types of manufacturing processes. I understand the topic was waterjet. And I don't need a detailed comparison between the 2 processes. I have been in manufacturing for 15 years and seen more than my fair share of Waterjet machines at the IMTS. Waterjet is the only process that WE don't utilize at the company I work for, because it is more of a niche market.
    Good luck with your project.
    XP-90 w/Boxed Fan
    Lanparty UT
    BFG 6800 GT OC
    Maxtor 80GB SATA
    FSP 530
    XP Pro SP2

Thank you.