Talking Computer vs. home theater speakers

Hey there,

I was at Best Buy there other day and I was doing some research on a projection/sound
    system setup. This includes a portable and fixed setup. The ironic thing is alot of the
    computer speakers beat out (or at least in my opinion) the home theater speakers.
    I notice more fullness in the speakers, and more pronunciation in the varying tones. They
    are crisp and concise. The home theater speakers sounded like a factor installed car
    stereo. I did adjust all the tones for each speaker and it still did not add up. This included
    brands such as Sony, Panasonic, Sharp. I am not saying these are great but, you would
    come to expect more for the price at least. Does anyone feel this way?

Slade

Take time to do the important things
    today since you may not get a
    tomorrow.

Anytime you give your $0.02 you better have a qtr
    to back it up.

Re: Computer vs. home theater speakers

sony, panasonic, sharp...not real home teathre brands..check out yahmaha onkyo or infinty those are my favorites..computer speakres may sound more pronounced but only in high ranges..they lack any mid range or low end sound. hence they sound more crisp. sound isnt suposed to be crisp its suposed to be natrual..atleast in my opnion..a good speaker is a transparent one.

hmm home theatre speakers?

I think what you've listened to was HTIB solutions (home theatre in a box). I think that such pieces of kit are actually not that great and possibly inferior to good PC speakers.

If you really want to go Home theatre without costing the earth, try some JBL's Northridge series speakers.
    Great slam and punch for HT.
    Klipsch is another speaker that comes to mind.

what sorta money are we looking at?
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sladeiix980
    Hey there,

I was at Best Buy there other day and I was doing some research on a projection/sound
    system setup. This includes a portable and fixed setup. The ironic thing is alot of the
    computer speakers beat out (or at least in my opinion) the home theater speakers.
    I notice more fullness in the speakers, and more pronunciation in the varying tones. They
    are crisp and concise. The home theater speakers sounded like a factor installed car
    stereo. I did adjust all the tones for each speaker and it still did not add up. This included
    brands such as Sony, Panasonic, Sharp. I am not saying these are great but, you would
    come to expect more for the price at least. Does anyone feel this way?

Slade
    I visit the US occasionally for work and conferences... and Best Buy doesn't strike me as a "Home Theatre' type of place, more a place for buying toasters. If you are serious go to a HT shop. Like lidistick said, you most likely saw the packaged "home theatre in a box" sets which are built down to a price. Try some recognised HT brands, I have M&K speakers with a Denon receiver.
    AMD Athlon64 3200+ (Winchester 0431)
    Thermalright XP90, Thermaltake 92mm SilentCat
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (BIOS 1.4)
    2x512mb Crucial Ballistix PC4000
    Albatron GeForce 6800GT 256mb
    OCZ Powerstream520
    Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120gb 8mb cache
    Seagate Barracuda IV 60gb
    Pioneer DVR 108 (BIOS 1.18)
    Coolermaster Centurion V
    Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 Value
    WinXP Pro SP2, NForce Driver 6.14 (w/IDE driver)
    Dell Ultrasharp 1905FP -DVI

A Best Buy store is also not exactly the best environment for testing speakers!

You'd be better off researching reviews on the Web where comparisons have been done in the proper environment with compatible equipment.

I agree that computer speakers may sound better than "HT in a Box" speakers. Most "HT in a Box" systems are designed with a price in mind, not sound!
    DFI nF4 Expert / 0406BTA Bios/ AMD64 3800+ X2 / 4 Pipe Stock Cooler / 2x1Gb OCZ5001024ELGE (UCCC) / OCZ GXS600W PSU /Lian-Li PC65b / ATi Radeon X800 / NEC ND3550 DVD/CD-RW / 2 x 160Gb Hitachi SATA RAID-O / WDC WD800JB 80Gb IDE

Biostar T-Force 560+/ RH N56BAA09 bios / AMD 4000+ Brisbane AM2 / Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro / Patriot DDR2-800 2x1Gb PDC22G6400ELK / Sapphire HD3650 / Seagate 250Gb SATA-II ST3250410AS / Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S

Dont forget that he was only making a coparison to pc speakers, which is relitively low cost. Yes you can get better than the likes of the Gigworks and Klipsh, but you will pay more, if I was going to go component, I would start with at least $1,000, I'm talking retail prices here also, you may find some great deals on ebay etc if you look.

Best Buy might have some nice stuff and toys to play with, but I agree. It is not a genuine "home theater" store to buy from. Some of the brands people mentioned are also good references. Again, here's some that may be repeated, and maybe some new ones you didn't know about.

Recievers:
    Yamaha
    Denon

Speakers:
    Klipsch
    JBL
    Martin Logan (super high end)
    Teal (high end)

Even though Bose has always been a pioneer in this market, too many others have surpassed them in sound and quality of their components. "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose!" Sony is also hugely over-rated. They make good tv's and video cameras, and that's about it. As far as audio, they are very average in their systems, headphones, and recievers. I've never been greatly impressed. There's a high-end retailer in my region called "Ovation", and you could spend $20,000 on one thing in the store if you wanted. I'm not sure what other stores do, but I knew a deal they had regarding Klipsch. You buy a Klipsch system, put it on a plan..have it for 1 or 2 years, and return it for a full refund towards a purchase of a better Klipsch system! A guy I knew had the Klipsch Reference Series 5.1 THX. Oh my God, it was incredible, but it was also $5500 incredible. The subwoofer alone was $1800. And this system is compared barely above-average when talking about true hi-fi systems!

No, I didn't say spend $5000, but with your budget, you could get a very nice start. Also, keep in mind that cables are just as important as the speakers and reciever when coming to "high fidelity". Overpriced or not, I strongly believe Monster cables are THE BEST when coming to professional audio, and if you get their Level 3 grades or higher, it WILL be expensive. The guy I know with the Klipsch Reference system, spent $500 on cables alone. Makes a lot of difference though.

Shop around, look where you want to put your money, whether it be in a reciever or speakers. You also may want to check ebay. My roommate from college built a $2000 JBL system for $800. Partly because he got a hell of a deal on a Yamaha reciever at...Best Buy! It was on clearance, and returned as an open box. He got a $500 reciever for $260. He also got his JBL speakers new practically HALF OFF on ebay. Although, if taking a risk with money like that isn't your thing, then play it safe from a retailer, and get a protection plan or something.

Also, realize when you get into hi-fi equipment, you will never go back. After hearing some TRUE hi-fi systems, HT in a box systems are a laugh, and the computer sound systems are right there with them.

Just my two cents.

Jared
    Last edited by fxscreamer; 11-08-2004 at 09:39 PM.
    http://www.jaredhudson.com

Big Kahuna Burger: Intel Core i9 9940x * ASUS X299 Deluxe II * Noctua NH-D15S w/ Chromax * 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200 * EVGA RTX 2070S XC * 512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 * 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD * 2TB WD Blue SSD * 3TB Seagate Cuda Compute HDD * Universal Audio Arrow * ASUS Thunderbolt EX 3 * Sony Optiarc DVD-RW * SeaSonic Prime 750W Platinum PSU * Fractal Design R6 (Arctic) * Dual Dell U2718Q 27" 4K Ultrasharp * Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 Touch * Windows 10 Pro

The rule of thumb is, if the company makes electronics, then they don't make good speakers. (or if their name rhymes with "hose"). Best Buy does carry one very good (especially for the money) brand called Athena that I'm sure no one buys because they don't spend millions on advertising. They are one of several Canadian companies that are subsidised by their government to make speakers, and you can get great bang-for-the-buck from these brands. Others include Paradigm, Energy... and there are others. Check out avsforum for more info.
    -soplcod

Sopclod brings up a good point about Canadian speaker makers.

There's a brand called "Axiom" which makes great products that don't cost a ton, but have won numerous awards and have gotten rave reviews for their speakers. They sell exclusively on line,AFASIK. (www.axiomaudio.com)

I've got 2 fronts and a sub from them which have incredible sound for their size (I live in a small apartment). You can cruise their forum and get lots of user feedback.

Another on-line company from Canada is Fluance. They sell a complete 5.1 speaker system for $250 that is highly rated! It doesn't come with a sub, but the 2 fronts are floorstanding and have good bass. I bought my biaxial surrounds from Fluance for under $100, and they work very nicely! Check these folks out - they build quality products

I using an optical connection from my HTPC into my Onkyo receiver which is hooked up to the speakers above, and the sound is very detailed, especially when run 2 channel stereo into the Axioms only.

The Axioms I have are tiny, only about a foot high, but have a great "presence". They are extremely accurate, which you may or may not like. Many people are so used to crummy, "colored" speakers thaat when they finally hear something good, they think it sounds "harsh".
    Cheap speakers are usually designed to sound "warm", which hides their deficiencies.
    Last edited by Blooz1; 11-09-2004 at 06:16 PM.
    DFI nF4 Expert / 0406BTA Bios/ AMD64 3800+ X2 / 4 Pipe Stock Cooler / 2x1Gb OCZ5001024ELGE (UCCC) / OCZ GXS600W PSU /Lian-Li PC65b / ATi Radeon X800 / NEC ND3550 DVD/CD-RW / 2 x 160Gb Hitachi SATA RAID-O / WDC WD800JB 80Gb IDE

Biostar T-Force 560+/ RH N56BAA09 bios / AMD 4000+ Brisbane AM2 / Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro / Patriot DDR2-800 2x1Gb PDC22G6400ELK / Sapphire HD3650 / Seagate 250Gb SATA-II ST3250410AS / Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S

Another Canadian speaker to take a look at is Dahlquist. They are along the same price line as Axiom.

If you are looking at small speakers about the same size as computer speakers, I'd suggest looking at the HSU Research Ventriloquist. Will definitely blow away any computer speaker, but you need to buy a sub separately.

Good luck

For any Aussies here, check out Colin Whatmough.
    AMD Athlon64 3200+ (Winchester 0431)
    Thermalright XP90, Thermaltake 92mm SilentCat
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (BIOS 1.4)
    2x512mb Crucial Ballistix PC4000
    Albatron GeForce 6800GT 256mb
    OCZ Powerstream520
    Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120gb 8mb cache
    Seagate Barracuda IV 60gb
    Pioneer DVR 108 (BIOS 1.18)
    Coolermaster Centurion V
    Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 Value
    WinXP Pro SP2, NForce Driver 6.14 (w/IDE driver)
    Dell Ultrasharp 1905FP -DVI

At the same price point, I'd expect more from the computer speakers. If you're looking at a Home-Theater-In-A-Box setup, you're getting a device that can handle all sorts of inputs and stuff whereas the speakers are designed for one specific purpose. For example, $350 buys a really nice computer speaker setup, but $350 doesn't do much in the way of buying a standalone receiver, subwoofer, and speakers (and by extension it shouldn't be extected to buy a HT in a box either). With the HT setup you're paying for expandability and interoperability that's sacrificed with the PC speakers. I'll take my Paradigm Atoms over either of those solutions any day , but that sort of setup becomes somewhat more expensive than any reasonable computer speakers.

Primary Rig:
    Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW-P ▪ 2 AMD Athlon MP 1800s @ 1.53 GHz each ▪ 2GB Pc2100 ECC, Registered ▪ 2x Western Digital 1200JB, 1x Western Digital 1600JB, 1x Seagate 200 GB, +2 externals ▪ PowerColor Radeon 9800 SE(r350) -> Pro softmod ▪ Creative Audigy 4 ▪ NEC 3550a ▪ 4-port firewire ▪ 5-port USB2 ▪ Rosewill RP550 550W PSU ▪ Very heavily modded Chieftec AX-01 ▪ ThermalRight SK-7 for each CPU ▪ Logitech Mx700 ▪ Microsoft Natural Keyboard 4000

Laptop:HP L2000 - Turion ML-34, 2GB PC3200, 80 GB, steaming pile of...

Home theater speakers will toast computer speakers. I have a modest home theater setup, consisting of a Denon receiver (1802) and JBL Studio speakers and a JBL Studio 10" sub (which I think is the weak link in my setup).

I've yet to hear any computer speaker setup come close to touching it. Frankly, computer speakers aren't made to touch a good home theater setup. Computer speakers are made to be userfriendly, widely compatible and very small to keep your desk clear.

Although I've hooked my pc up to my home theater, so I guess you could say that pc speakers sound awesome.

Computer speakers are designed to fill an office, den, or bedroom. Home theater systems need to fill a whole living room.

Intel 7820X, ASRock X299 Taichi, 32GB DDR4 3200, Radeon 290X, 8TB WD Gold with 32GB Optane cache

*pets his paradigm mini monitors*

paradigm speakers are really really awesome. pretty good price too. ive got a full paradigm 5.1 system except for the subwoofer. this includes:
    paradigm monitor 7 v.2 (main)
    paradigm CC-370 v.2 (center)
    paradigm mini monitors v.2 (rear)
    SVS subwoofer (180W)
    Denon AVR-3801 receiver/amp

at the moment, i am only using my mini monitors and the subwoofer, since i am in my dorm room (limited space). but when i go back home, i have the full system powered up on my computer. i beleive these mini monitors can be bought for...250$ per pair...i got mine on sale for 225$ i think it was at a store called Bay Area Audio in san jose, CA.

but let me tell you...this system i put together is simply amazing when watching Lord of the Rings: Return of the King...HOLY MOLY!!! woowweee!

if youre looking for a simple setup to use on the computer, give the paradigm mini monitors a try, they are beautiful
    Linky to paradigm monitor family

and then get yourself a decent receiver, i know denon makes cheaper models than mine (mine was 1000$).