Thread: 1st WU is in :)

1st WU is in :)

Yay first wu has just gone in, more are on the way. Now the question is when do I become an official folding frog? :P
    Last edited by Drefsab; 11-05-2004 at 04:45 AM.

Re: 1st WU is in :)

dude,congrats!!!
    pop yer system specs in sig,we'll help ya overclock that munsta in no time!
    thnks

ps u were born one already :P

The system that finished the first wu is one in work so I dont want to overclock that. My home one (which should be finishing a 200+ point wu any min now) I would over clock but I just wasted 200 buying ocz pc4000 for it only to find I cant use it (makes the system VERY unstable and slow.. must be the a64). I was thinking of slapping it in a nf7-s with a barton 3200+ I have gathering dust im my room but I'll have to get a new case/psu for it first.

a64?..woa,post ure specs m8!
    u gotta give chip a bit more juice,maybe try to run mem async,let spd settings rule and..well,post em specs and we will better help

well the basic spec is this.

AMD64 3400+
    AOpen N250a-FR
    GeForce 6800GT
    Audigy 2 ZS
    2 x 160Gb Maxtor SATA's
    Antec TrueBlue 480 PSU

1Gb PC3200 (2x512Mb generic stuff)
    or
    OCZ 1GB (2 x 512MB) PC4000 Dual Channel Gold Series EL-DDR CAS2.5 REVISION 2

I also have an AOpen AK86-L knocking around but took it out as it doesnt have a working apg/pci lock.

When I tried the ocz stuff it picked it up as ran at 333 with timings of 2.5,3,3,7 1T. But I had random slow downs and crash's with it. I tried different slots, I tried just a single stick (when I did that it came up as ddr400). I cant seam to alter the ram's ratio or fsb in the bios at all. The system only posts with HT at 4x. Also when in windows if I try and use clockgen to change the HTT multi with 2 sticks of the OCZ the system locks. I was able to get the actual cpu up to 2580mhz but it was just as unstable as before. Oh and I also tried upping the cpu vcore to 1.625v and the ram as high as the board would go (cos its warrentied to 3volt).

When I put the generic stuff in it runs at 333 again but the system is rock solid and I can change the HTT multi with clockgen. But if I push the HTT higher than 205 the system bombs.

weird,lowering htt thingie allways helps...run mem a bit slower,and pop a 3 where the 2.5 is..mm..maybe change to 2T ?

I should of added that if I put it to 2t with the ocz it doesnt post, and changing to ddr200 and or cas 3 also doesnt help. Im just going to have to accept the 64 system wont take this stuff. I will get something else for it at some point but what with xmas around the corner I dont think I will be splashing out just yet after wasting money on this.

I might just keep it for a few bios revisions or try it in the 3200 sytem but I think its the kind of thing p4's should be using so I might just sell it on ebay or something.

aight..how about lowering the cpu multi (unless u already did it and i skiped that part) and see if the chip itself is the limiting factor.also pop looser timings,in a64 territory it dun matter much..
    ive seen and heard of soem systems not wanting to run a certain brand/type of mem even at its spd timings...and,i tot the aopen had working locks with soem bios revision that i cant name right now..
    thnks and happy folding!!

fraid I did try dropping the cpu multi though I think I will try looser timings at some point over the weekend.

just a thought I had, have you tried the mem in any other systems yet, might be worth dusting off the barton 3200 and nf7s, could it have been DOA ram outta the box???? you never know, if it runs rock solid on the xp setup, then you know its good, i have a pair of generic sticks that hated my nforce2 board, but it runs great on my kt600 one, so it does happen from time to time a particular brand of memory doesnt like a particular board, at first i thought the sticks were DOA but upon putting them in the kt600 for verification of that thought it posted right up
    just a suggestion, i think its worth setting up the abit, if you dont have a case can you just place it on the static foam the mobo came in and run it out in the open, i do it all the time when I dont want to mount something to just check it out

Why not setup that abit and barton as another folder?
    It would be better than it just sitting in a box somewhere playin with the dust bunnies

I could give it a new home Just Kidding, or if you seriously not going to be utilizing it why not consider a donation for a future AAF, its a great program and you should keep your eyes out for em, once you been folding with us for a while you shall become elegible and could be a great oppurtunity to help out the community.
    Keep an eye out for AAF postings soon to come.

good luck with your RAM issue
    Last edited by JeremyWills; 11-05-2004 at 08:07 AM.
    Low Speed, High Drag!
    Formerly a team 734 Folding Frog. (Might start up again soon)

I actually plan to do this, I was going to get a case for it this weekend.. I have some spare generic ram but I was going to try the ocz in it first. Between home and work Im getting a little farm going (got 8 systems folding atm). I could always donate the AAF but I live in the uk so it makes more sense for me to make a dedicated box myself.

ahh

i see, well thank you sir for your time and glad to have you folding with us all the way from the UK

its all one big happy family around here

fold on
    Low Speed, High Drag!
    Formerly a team 734 Folding Frog. (Might start up again soon)

WTF! Nice to have another UK'er folding here

Congrats!! Rock On!!!