• MM's f/911

4 13.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

#1 Reason why Kerry lost - Poll

Title says it all..
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"

Re: #1 Reason why Kerry lost - Poll

I say neither. He was just kinda dull. Were he able to motivate anyone, many more of those undecided voters would be swayed to his side.

Heh. My wife says her vote's for the Gin soaked white raisin eater.....
    (Hmmm. the woman's intuition....?)
    -TMack

He didn't get enough votes.

The real reason is lots of little reasons that added up, many of which are up there. IMO there were 2 slightly more important reasons, though still no one thing really did him in:

1) Failure to explain his plans. He had all these pie-in-the-sky ideals, but no clear flowchart on how to achieve them. We ALL know politicians make up big lies like this, even Bush (Mars?), what proves that they may be sincere is a genuine plan of action to achieve the goals they spout. Liberals ate it up, conservatives blew it off, but the vital swing voters were left asking "How?" Kerry passed up several venues that he could have used to explain, and convince voters.

2) Morals/Religion/Backbone. Kerry had lots of plans to fix things, but he never came across as a stand-up guy. In most peoples minds ALL politicians start as a slimy, lying, no-good, selfish moocher. Their biggest task is differentiating themselves from this view. Kerry never defined himself a a 'good' person, never explained his personal beliefs, what drove him. On many of the 'moral defining' issues he never made a solid decision, took a stand, one way or the other. The swing voters didn't know what to think, so assumed he was just another slimy politician at heart. Bush may (appear to) be dumb as a log, but (it appears that) at his core is a solid set of beliefs and general goodheartedness.

Anyway, neither of those options were up there.

For me? Why didnt I vote for Kerry? He simply hasnt the credentials to be what he says he is.....or wants to be. Hes not John Kennedy...no matter how hard he attempts to imitate the style. He can have the same initials....maybe the same hairstyle....and the recently adopted "idear" vs "idea" accent. Hes still not John Kennedy.
    He can go thru all the mannerisms he likes...but he aint "slick Willie "or JFK.
    He comes accross as a freaking complainer....all war is wrong....the system is wrong....and it simply drove away voters. If all you can do is bitch about everything America does....and cant effect change?....What does that say about leadership/management ability? Not much.
    Talk is cheap. Change takes guts and a blind eye to popularity contests.....and most of all? A position.

Multiple reasons:

• Republican spin machines against him
    • Invovlement in protesting Vietnam
    • Wanting to keep his religion from influencing his policies
    • Republicans yoked their evangelical support base and plowed the fields of the voting populace with it.
    • Democrats could not sucessfully rally their support base
    • Kerry was presented as an anti-Bush, not as Kerry the Leader
    • Some of the people who tend to vote for the Democrats, such as the poor urban-dwellers, are also the most disenfranchised. You have a hard time convincing people to work with the same system they feel has marginalized and defeated them.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan
    Multiple reasons:

• Republican spin machines against him
    • Invovlement in protesting Vietnam
    • Wanting to keep his religion from influencing his policies
    • Republicans yoked their evangelical support base and plowed the fields of the voting populace with it.
    • Democrats could not sucessfully rally their support base
    • Kerry was presented as an anti-Bush, not as Kerry the Leader
    • Some of the people who tend to vote for the Democrats, such as the poor urban-dwellers, are also the most disenfranchised. You have a hard time convincing people to work with the same system they feel has marginalized and defeated them.
    Id love to get into this topic Orangutan.[off topic comment]

such as the poor urban-dwellers, are also the most disenfranchised. You have a hard time convincing people to work with the same system they feel has marginalized and defeated them.

How do you feel the stem cell deal in CA hits the unemployed urban guys in CA? Nothing in it for them. Id be pretty pissed that the state went for a project that means jack to unemployed.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal
    Id love to get into this topic Orangutan.[off topic comment]

such as the poor urban-dwellers, are also the most disenfranchised. You have a hard time convincing people to work with the same system they feel has marginalized and defeated them.

How do you feel the stem cell deal in CA hits the unemployed urban guys in CA? Nothing in it for them. Id be pretty pissed that the state went for a project that means jack to unemployed.

Run with it - I'm intrigued too.
    -TMack

My point is its a "liberal agenda".....but how does it help the city bros who are walking the street wondering how they are gonna eat.
    So whats the deal here? Who are the democrats really lookin after?
    And how is this deal perceived by the unemployed guys? As some self serving republican deal?

What a joke.

Kerry's unwillingness to take a firm stance on anything other than abortion and gun control for the past two years in congress .

Chris

Well I believe the thread should be why the Dems lost, face it they got whipped. They lost because of the seeming decay of morality their party potrays - a perception which gets magnified by their unwillingness to take a strong stand on moral issues, they try too hard to pander to a minority, too much political correctness, and in some cases caving to that minority, allowing them to impose their wish on the majority - simply put they're out of touch.

Would someone please explain how in the heck anyone able to walk and talk could possibly be "disenfranchised"?

You register.

You vote.

Its easier than buying tampons for your wife.

Well I believe the thread should be why the Dems lost, face it they got whipped. They lost because of the seeming decay of morality their party potrays - a perception which gets magnified by their unwillingness to take a strong stand on moral issues, they try too hard to pander to a minority, too much political correctness, and in some cases caving to that minority, allowing them to impose their wish on the majority - simply put they're out of touch.
    Well, as you said, it's just the vision of such an occurence. The reality is, the Democrats simply hold slightly-different morals and ethics than Republicans. The differences that do exist are highlighted by each party and used as wedges to drive the two apart. There isn't all that much that separates one from the other, so people must take whatever does exist and run with it. I could rant about what I perceive the actual morals of each party are, but it's rather moot right now. The fact of the matter is that the Republicans have adequately convinced their supporters that the Democrats are somehow morally corrupt. The Democrats have to change that attitude and put to rest the misconceptions. I can foresee a couple Democrats capable of doing just that, but not in the very near future.

My point is its a "liberal agenda".....but how does it help the city bros who are walking the street wondering how they are gonna eat.
    So whats the deal here? Who are the democrats really lookin after?
    And how is this deal perceived by the unemployed guys? As some self serving republican deal?

What a joke.
    Huh? Split the thread if you really want to discuss something, Jimz. I'm all for it, especially once I learn what you're wanting to say.
    Last edited by Orangutan; 11-05-2004 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan
    The fact of the matter is that the Republicans have adequately convinced their supporters that the Democrats are somehow morally corrupt.
    Just to offer another perspective, I'd say it's the Democrats who have adequately convinced the Republican supporters that the Democrats are morally corrupt. It really is a bit of a shame, too, as I think it is not indicative of the masses who do continue supporting the Democratic party.

The leaders shaping the Democratic party's image are to blame, IMHO. They've given the strong impression of supporting ideas which run counter to the feelings of many of their own traditional supporters. The obvious example here is the gay marriage bans which passed in 11 states, and all by far wider margins than Bush won those states. Heck, even Oregon, which went to Kerry, supported such a ban.

The leaders of the Democratic party are simply farther out of touch with the typical citizen than the Republican party leaders. Mind you, that's saying something as I also feel the Republican leaders are a ways out of touch, too.

I've said it before and will repeat it now. The Dems are continuing to lose ground in DC. Until they portray themselves as closer to the center the trend will continue. They need to make the Republican party appear the one so far from the middle. Sadly for them, they've opted to move ever farther away as evidenced by their rampant support of the likes of Michael Moore, Soros, et. al.