Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Intel or AMD - Future proof?

Its time for a new PC, but I am unable to make a final decision on which processor/mobo combo to get.

These are the two options i have narrowed it down to:

ABIT AA8-3rd Eye with Intel Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz, Socket LGA775

OR

ABIT AV8-3rd Eye with AMD Athlon 64 3000+, Socket 939

Which one is the best long term decision as I would like this PC to last me at least 3 years.

Cheers

Re: Intel or AMD - Future proof?

Windows 64 is supposed to come out next year. Windows64-Athlon64.
    We CanJumpReallyHigh!
    Athlon XP3200+, 1gig PC3200 Clocked down to PC2700 (Cheap A$$ Compaq Motherboard), 6600GT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mencus
    Its time for a new PC, but I am unable to make a final decision on which processor/mobo combo to get.

These are the two options i have narrowed it down to:

ABIT AA8-3rd Eye with Intel Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz, Socket LGA775

OR

ABIT AV8-3rd Eye with AMD Athlon 64 3000+, Socket 939

Which one is the best long term decision as I would like this PC to last me at least 3 years.

Cheers
    the intel would be more future proof, faster in windows, but almost 10-15fps slower in games. If you can wait a month or two for a PCI-Express AMD 939 board then wait, if you need to buy it now, get the intel.

PS: i have the Abit LGA775 board, and it rocks. More fun to own than my A64.

Yes go with AMD, Nforce4, PCIExpress, Socket939, SLI, It wont get much better then that.

AMD 3500+ Newcastle
    ASUS A8V Deluxe WI-FI edition
    VGA ATI Radeon 9600XT
    2x512 XMS PC3200
    Maxator 80gig hd
    Rosewill 52x32x52x16 CD/DVD drive
    SB LIVE! 5.1
    400W Coolmaster Power supply
    Coolmaster Centurion
    Custom Water cooling setup!

Quote Originally Posted by Dillusion
    the intel would be more future proof, faster in windows, but almost 10-15fps slower in games. If you can wait a month or two for a PCI-Express AMD 939 board then wait, if you need to buy it now, get the intel.

PS: i have the Abit LGA775 board, and it rocks. More fun to own than my A64.
    How is intel future proof? with 32bit CPUs they wont work on windows 64, plus nForce4 has everything that Intel has apart from DDR2, which isnt even worth it right now.
    A64 pwns P4.

Everything at Intel will change drastically in the next two years so there is virtually no upgrade path there... And yest there CPUs don't do 64 bit so that's another nail in their coffin. Linux 64 has been available for almost a year and it's super fast. Game makers are writing code for Linux as it gains in popularity. Windoze 64 bit upgrade is **officially** schedules to be released in Q1 '05.

A64 will be around quite awhile and offers better performance at a lower price. You may however want to chose a more refined Mobo such as the rock stable Asus or O/C'ing favorite MSI, instead of the Abit. A few dollars spent up front can eliminate a lot of headaches if you intend to O/C your PC.

IMO, amd will probably skip DDR2 and do something else. Maybe DDR3, maybe in 128bit flavor.

I believe that I would choose the AA8 (3rd Eye Duramax) and P4 LGA775. Id be confident it would last three years.

AMD + nForce4

Add another to the A64 and nForce 4

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxrain
    I believe that I would choose the AA8 (3rd Eye Duramax) and P4 LGA775. Id be confident it would last three years.
    yep

Actually, both of the combos you mentioned could be expected to be useful for three years. You wouldn't get top-level performance in games three years from now, but you should still be able to run games with either base setup you listed - providing you have a decent video card. The real question is whether you'd be able to upgrade (without changing the mainboard) in three years. The answer to that is probably yes.

Of the choices you gave, I'd recommend the Abit AV8-3rd Eye with AMD Athlon64 3000+ (Socket 939, Winchester core).
    The Shadow knows - and what HE doesn't, Freaky knows!!!

Athlon 64 is much more future proof

Future proof is BS. Any computer will last exactly as long as it does what you want it to do.

My mothers K6-2 that I built for her 4 years ago will be "future proof" at least another 5.

Just build what is best for now, chances are its going to do as well later as anything.

Quote Originally Posted by oralpain
    Future proof is BS. Any computer will last exactly as long as it does what you want it to do.

My mothers K6-2 that I built for her 4 years ago will be "future proof" at least another 5.

Just build what is best for now, chances are its going to do as well later as anything.
    I know what you are saying, I use several older computers, they run fine. Obsolete is a tricky word, it's only obsolete if it cant do what you want it to do. A K6-2 can still do most basic computing tasks just fine. You just have to realize it's limitations (no flames please). But for FUTURE tasks, Athlon 64 all the way.