Resolved [duplicate/not implementing] Searching... ERROR

Two questions/inquiries about searches:

I seem to be getting this error more frequently these days (the searches are not even all that complicated):

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /home/forums/www/search.php on line 951

Perhaps one of those "search errors" that can't be fixed with out an upgrade?

The other thing is, now with all this name changing going on, there is a slight issue with searching. So lets say I am looking for a post my terms are too general. So I include a poster's name cause I happen to know that he was the one who made that post. If I use the users new name, the post will not appear (he made the post with his "old" name). If I try to put in their old name, the search script will crap out and say user not found. Perhaps a quick solution would be to NOT check if the username specified exists in the database? I mean couldn't you just return "no matches found" if it is an invalid user name?

Re: Searching... ERROR

Quote Originally Posted by ahmad
    Two questions/inquiries about searches:

I seem to be getting this error more frequently these days (the searches are not even all that complicated):

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /home/forums/www/search.php on line 951

Perhaps one of those "search errors" that can't be fixed with out an upgrade?
    bingo. you got it. there has been MANY threads discussing this topic in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ahmad
    The other thing is, now with all this name changing going on, there is a slight issue with searching. So lets say I am looking for a post my terms are too general. So I include a poster's name cause I happen to know that he was the one who made that post. If I use the users new name, the post will not appear (he made the post with his "old" name). If I try to put in their old name, the search script will crap out and say user not found. Perhaps a quick solution would be to NOT check if the username specified exists in the database? I mean couldn't you just return "no matches found" if it is an invalid user name?
    that would either a) require edits to the php files...which voids warranty...which is a no no for us or b) requires changes to our HUGE database...which i dont have access to changing...and...the change wouldnt merit the risk.

sorry.
    hmm...

Re: Searching... ERROR

Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One
    that would either a) require edits to the php files...which voids warranty...which is a no no for us or b) requires changes to our HUGE database...which i dont have access to changing...and...the change wouldnt merit the risk.
    But I am just thinking, couldn't you just NOT search the database of names when someone looks up the name of the poster to check if its valid? I mean if the name doesn't exist just return "no matches found".

Not a big deal.