Dual Boot Question

I want to dual boot Mandrake and Winxp one one drive. Simply put, do I install MDK first and resize the drive for WinXP, or the opposite for the Linux boot menu to reconize windows? And yes I know to change the drive to LBA in the bios for boot problems.

Re: Dual Boot Question

If XP is installed first and Mandrake second the Mandrake's bootloader can include XP for booting.

More work is needed for opposite way as you need to edit either Mandrake or XP bootloader to include both. XP is snobish and will never boot Linux unless you point a gun at its head and amend its hidden file boot.ini. In general you can boot Windows, any number if you can install, easier by Linux than by Windows.

Mandrake will automatically detect the presence of Windows and as courtesy includes it as a choice for you to boot, without you lifting a finger.

Also it is easier to give a fixed size partition to an operating system than later to knee down begging for some space back. A hard drive does not have to be fully allocated either. Thus you can give XP 15 to 20Gb partition and a Linux about 5 to 10Gb and have the rest of the hard drive "unallocated". You also need 1 to 2Gb for a swap partition for Mandrake.
    Last edited by saikee; 11-10-2004 at 06:21 AM.

Ok i did my dual boot with Mepis 2.4 kernel, but I messed up. I forgot to do the LBA on the hard drive before doing both o/s. I can boot into Mepis but not Windows. I get this message:

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    save default

then a blinking cursor.

Is there a way to recover Windows without reinstalling?!? Or do I have to do the whole thing all over again!?!

Quote Originally Posted by centered effect
    Ok i did my dual boot with Mepis 2.4 kernel, but I messed up. I forgot to do the LBA on the hard drive before doing both o/s. I can boot into Mepis but not Windows. I get this message:

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    save default

then a blinking cursor.

Is there a way to recover Windows without reinstalling?!? Or do I have to do the whole thing all over again!?!
    1st try setting ALL HDD's in your system to Manual, and LBA, no auto settings anywhere. That's what did it for me.

If the Windows was bootable before and hasn't been swappd around (master changed to slave etc) then booting to a DOS bootable floppy with fdisk.exe inside and type "fdisk /mbr" should restore the Windows. However this would leave Mepis inaccessible so prepare a bootable floppy for Mepis first by dropping into command prompt, log is as root user and type "grub-install /dev/fd0".

Ok i have the dual boot going, with windows having 7.5 gigs and Mandrake at 10gigs, but I have the rest of the free space unallocated, how should i format the rest of the space to use as a partition both os's can use?

fat32 should do
    2610.07 mega-hurts
    xp 2600-M @12.5X 208.81,1 GIG centon matched 3200ddr
    a7n8x v.2 deluxe, wd200, nec8x-dvd

I knew that it should be Fat, but I guess my question should be - Should the unpartitioned space be allocated as a Windows partition or a Linux partition?

EDIT - ok new problem - My system hangs on Vefiying DMI pool then the next line is q with a blinker, the system works when i restart and goes into the boot menu, but why will it not work the first time?!?!
    Last edited by centered effect; 11-14-2004 at 10:16 PM.

I knew that it should be Fat, but I guess my question should be - Should the unpartitioned space be allocated as a Windows partition or a Linux partition?
    You can either partition it and format it as FAT32 when you install windows or just leave it as unpartitioned space. Then once you have Windows and Linux installed, from Windows, partition it and format it as FAT32.

EDIT - ok new problem - My system hangs on Vefiying DMI pool then the next line is q with a blinker, the system works when i restart and goes into the boot menu, but why will it not work the first time?!?!
    Can you be a little more specific please as to exactly what's happening?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by centered effect

Can you be a little more specific please as to exactly what's happening?

Usually before the Windows XP or Linux Boot screen there is a table showing what is in the pc and it shows the Irq table, then Vefying DMI pool..... the next line is q and a blinking cursur, then the system just sits. When I restart afterwards, it goes right into the Linux boot screen where I can select the different Mandrake options including Windows.

Usually before the Windows XP or Linux Boot screen there is a table showing what is in the pc and it shows the Irq table, then Vefying DMI pool..... the next line is q and a blinking cursur, then the system just sits. When I restart afterwards, it goes right into the Linux boot screen where I can select the different Mandrake options including Windows.
    So you're saying it's OK after a soft restart, but hangs during a cold boot?

And you can boot both windows and linux fine (when it does boot)?

Ned

Yes

System in question:
    AMD Sempron 2200
    Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra (black)
    1 Gig (512 PC2700/512 PC2100)
    Maxtor 80gb drive
    ATI Raedon PCI 7000

WinXP on 7.5gb, Mandrake on next 10GB, rest unallocated. GRUB (or lilo?) can show both and loads both fine.

OK, I'd say it's probably not a GRUB/Lilo booting issue but something else (otherwise it would never boot). The only similar thing I've come across is problems when warm booting that were fixed by disabling APIC.

You could try disabling APIC in your BIOS (if it's enabled) and see if that helps.

And also take a look at this thread for disabling APIC in Linux (might help):

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=344706

I assume the problem is reproducible - ie it always happens.

Ned