Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: The "What Laptop Should I Buy?" Guide!

Quote Originally Posted by sturm375
    P.S., those are some pretty high end requirements, wonder what they are doing at this University?
    Vista capable.

T

t4x with only 64 ati card is not Vista capable, minimum specs for vista is 128MB of video memory.

p.s. not ALL Thinkpads come with a 3yr base warranty. Z60 series for instance come with only 1 yr. Some T4x also come with only 1 yr as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigsman
    Vista capable.

T

t4x with only 64 ati card is not Vista capable, minimum specs for vista is 128MB of video memory.

p.s. not ALL Thinkpads come with a 3yr base warranty. Z60 series for instance come with only 1 yr. Some T4x also come with only 1 yr as well.
    Hmmm. They don't mention Vista in the school's lappy spec. Yet they do require 128MB of video RAM - maybe they *have* thought this thru....
    yes and now that I think about it....I kinda doubt XP Pro "requirement" will carry him thru 4 years of college...

Thanks for the headsup! :-) Back to the drawing board. Maybe I will look at the Dell recommended above. sheesh. I am just so biased towards ThinkPad....
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"

Quote Originally Posted by TMack409
    I am just so biased towards ThinkPad....

LOL... so am I:
    Sr. Team Lead - IBM Mobility Support

T

Well, I went with the Dell dude.... :-(

I pulled back to the Inspiron e1505 - he does not need a 17 inch display on a lappy!!! But by pulling back away from the e1705 I could not meet the school's Gig LAN requirement...sheesh, I dare the Business School to prove to me that he needs *that*..... he's in a private dorm so he's not on the University WAN anyways....And they would not offer me the 667MHz RAM......only 533. Again, I would have had to go with the E1705 to get that too. But it was approaching $2000 time I got done with everything.....whatever. I'm burned out. Oh and I had to pay sales tax on it because of my location.........wtf?

Buyer's remorse has already set in....wishin' I'd gone ThinkPad.....

Anywho.....$1675.00 out the door w/ 4 year warranty and accidental damage covered. I am sure there will be some liquid spilled on it in the next 4 years ;-) LOL.
    -TMack

LOL... so am I:

T

Heh. Maybe you can tell me why my T42 Rescue and Recovery back up option stopped working in Windows?? (I was able to do a back-up in the pre-Windows environment though - so no big deal....just curious to know why it worked fine for two back-ups and then quit (to a Seagate 40Gig USB self powered pocket drive). [No I could not afford the IBM backup pocket drive]
    -TMack

perhaps an update of the software made it stop working with that particular drive or perhaps the drive is no longer being recognized properly by the software

T

perhaps an update of the software made it stop working with that particular drive or perhaps the drive is no longer being recognized properly by the software

T
    I suspect the latter.........I can see stuff still sitting on the Seagate drive (in the pre-Windows environment) even after I reformat it. I think the IBM software (Rescue and Recovery) must hide the data in some special way. Therefore, I suspect the software sees the drive as full [from the previous backups].

Again, no big deal as I was able to perform a recent backup using Rescue and Recovery in the pre-Windows environment - no problem. It did take a lot longer though......

Maybe I'll breakout the Seagate Utility that came with the external USB drive and try using it to reformat /instead of Windows.....

Oh btw, our company forces us to change password on our lappys every 90 days - I've read in the IBM FAQ's that really screws up your backup. So I now perform b/u everytime I re-set the password.
    -TMack

Whats the best Laptop under 600?

Quote Originally Posted by electro77
    Whats the best Laptop under 600?
    LOL. Not even Consumers Reports has one that cheap in their reviews (June 06 issue)....and I consider them the champions of mediocrity.
    -TMack

Quote Originally Posted by TMack409
    LOL. Not even Consumers Reports has one that cheap in their reviews (June 06 issue)....and I consider them the champions of mediocrity.
    There's multiple sub-600 options listed on online retailer sites right now, you mean to say there's no breakdown of current entry-level systems? I find that hard to believe.

I'm also looking to get something in this range and would be interested in some opinions.
    /

peace,